Lamy2000 Leaking From The "ears"

Tojusi

I have a Lamy2000, the basic black version. I have now noticed that it is leaking from the metallic tiny "ears" on the pen body. The other "ear" seems to be leaking more than the other one. It is not much as such, but it seems that capillary action is drawing ink to my finger as my grip places fingers on the "ears".

I do not recall that the pen would have originally leaked like that, seems to be something that it has developed lately.

Is this normal?

Any home remedies that a technically inept user might try? Or do I just bite the bullet and ship it off to Lamy for service? (The pen must be out of warranty by this time though I am the original purchaser).

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tojusi

• KBeezie

• Icywolfe

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

When is a leak ever norma?

If it is an older model before 2009, the makaron section could have cracked.

Newer than that the threaded connector could be cracked or worn, or the rubber oring on the feed could be worn/loose.

TThey're easy to disassemble once uninked ND flushed since the section unscrew at those ears. (search youtube for sbrebrown disassembly of the Lamy 2k) the little ears do come out so don't lose them. Check the threading for cracks or chips, if able you can push the nib and feed out thru the back of the section. Can observe the feed and oring there. You can also fill the barrel with water and see if it leaks out the back without the section attached etc.

If you're in the United States, Lamy provides a lifetime warranty. (especially if you state you're the original owner). If you're not, it's 3 years in many places. If the section is the problem, it's like 20$ for out of warranty replacement. Barrel I think was about the same in the email filofax provided me.

Edited by KBeezie

KBeezie, thanks for the video link. Now I think I will be able to take apart the pen. I just need to flush it first...

It is a pre-2009 pen. There is a very very small piece missing right next to one of the ears, on the section side of the join. The missing piece is right next to the ear and is smaller than the ear.

KBeezie, thanks for the video link. Now I think I will be able to take apart the pen. I just need to flush it first...

It is a pre-2009 pen. There is a very very small piece missing right next to one of the ears, on the section side of the join. The missing piece is right next to the ear and is smaller than the ear.

So definitely a cracked section. Since it's pre-2009, the section itself is makaron, meaning that's likely where it's leaking from, directly from the feed inside. IF the cracks are towards the front side of the 'ears', then Lamy should only have to replace the section.

Also I think seeing a visible cracks or chips near the ears would probably be one of the first things to mention in the thread. :D unless you just didn't notice until now.

This thread has a lot of good information on the 2000s history from 1966 onward, including the change that happened in 2009.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/227631-lamy-2000-and-the-origins-of-lamy-design/

In this picture you can see a Pre-2009 section, post-2009 section, and the stainless steel version of the 2k

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8421/7748789204_4f615e597f.jpg

The problem was usually visible as such:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6148/6015537765_6f50aa2072_z.jpg

I guess because on the pre-2009 sections, the threads on both ends are just Makaron, and when twisted on too tight it pulls away at the seams over time as it gets stressed.

in the post-2009 models, the makaron in front of the 'ears' is nothing more than a decorative collar.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8308/7748785862_e8b3232d21.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

So definitely a cracked section. Since it's pre-2009, the section itself is makaron, [snippity snip]

Teeny tiny nit: Replace "makron" with "Makrolon".

Slightly off-topic but still relates. This this plague all of the pens that this crack may appear something in the future of the L2k? Or it's a certain percentage of the pens? Now I'm even more worried about getting the L2k.

#Nope

Slightly off-topic but still relates. This this plague all of the pens that this crack may appear something in the future of the L2k? Or it's a certain percentage of the pens? Now I'm even more worried about getting the L2k.

In terms of cracking like shown in the picture above? Just the ones before 2009, because they changed the section with all stainless steel and just a Makrolon sleeve around it, as opposed to making the section out of Makrolon. (jeez, how long have I been misspelling it?)

Also I think seeing a visible cracks or chips near the ears would probably be one of the first things to mention in the thread. :D unless you just didn't notice until now.

In terms of cracking like shown in the picture above? Just the ones before 2009, because they changed the section with all stainless steel and just a Makrolon sleeve around it, as opposed to making the section out of Makrolon. (jeez, how long have I been misspelling it?)

It is a very tiny chip right next to the ear which is why I did not notice it...

KBeezie, in addition to calling it "makron" you also used "makaron" which was quite entertaining! :)

Return it to Lamy, they will fix it. Period.

They are very good at that....not fast, but good.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

OK, I wrote to Lamy yesterday and got an automated response asking for patience while they reply. Let's see what "not fast, but good" really means!

Return it to Lamy, they will fix it. Period.

They are very good at that....not fast, but good.

I wonder if the repair guy on vacation is still true. (I've seen people say that in older posts.)

#Nope

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the summary of the dates and actions:

As I had noted that the pen leaked, in my panic on a business trip I purchased another Lamy2000 with the same EF nib from a brick and mortar store. Considering what I could have paid online, the price was fairly steep. On the other hand, they were helpful and I got to ogle other pens as well. Have to help out the brick and mortar stores as well.

Fast forward to this thread, and then the following:

• 17 November (Monday) - my initial contact to Lamy via their website
  • 17 November (Monday) - automatic reply from the website thanking me for my message and asking for my patience before they reply
  • 21 November (Friday the same week) - an actual person replies to me: send the pen over to Germany, they will fix it at no charge, I just have to pay the postage
  • 24 November (Monday) - I send the pen
  • 28 November (Friday) - the pen reaches Lamy, according to the tracking information
  • I hear nothing from them
  • 9 December (Tuesday) - I receive the pen back in Finland, fixed, nicely packaged but no notes or anything in the package

The have fixed the pen by replacing the section part of the pen with the post-2009 fully metallic section.

When I sent the pen, in my covering note I explained having bought another pen with the same EF nib as I thought this pen to be busted, and asked them whether they could consider swapping the nib to an F. I provided my telephone number and email just in case they wanted to discuss payment or something. They did not contact and they did not swap the nib. On the other hand, I considered it a long shot.

All in all, I am quite happy with the service.

But now I have two Lamy2000 with EF nib. The newer one is still on its first fill of Noodler's bulletproof black. I need to think about either selling it outright or somehow doing an exchange to a pen with different nib.

[Edit: actually, the first fill is Noodler's Zhivago to be exact, and not bulletproof black]

Edited by Tojusi

Here is the summary of the dates and actions:

As I had noted that the pen leaked, in my panic on a business trip I purchased another Lamy2000 with the same EF nib from a brick and mortar store. Considering what I could have paid online, the price was fairly steep. On the other hand, they were helpful and I got to ogle other pens as well. Have to help out the brick and mortar stores as well.

Fast forward to this thread, and then the following:

• 17 November (Monday) - my initial contact to Lamy via their website
  • 17 November (Monday) - automatic reply from the website thanking me for my message and asking for my patience before they reply
  • 21 November (Friday the same week) - an actual person replies to me: send the pen over to Germany, they will fix it at no charge, I just have to pay the postage
  • 24 November (Monday) - I send the pen
  • 28 November (Friday) - the pen reaches Lamy, according to the tracking information
  • I hear nothing from them
  • 9 December (Tuesday) - I receive the pen back in Finland, fixed, nicely packaged but no notes or anything in the package

The have fixed the pen by replacing the section part of the pen with the post-2009 fully metallic section.

When I sent the pen, in my covering note I explained having bought another pen with the same EF nib as I thought this pen to be busted, and asked them whether they could consider swapping the nib to an F. I provided my telephone number and email just in case they wanted to discuss payment or something. They did not contact and they did not swap the nib. On the other hand, I considered it a long shot.

All in all, I am quite happy with the service.

But now I have two Lamy2000 with EF nib. The newer one is still on its first fill of Noodler's bulletproof black. I need to think about either selling it outright or somehow doing an exchange to a pen with different nib.

[Edit: actually, the first fill is Noodler's Zhivago to be exact, and not bulletproof black]

Perhaps the person you bought the second from is willing to exchange it for an F (the new section you got from Lamy)?

Never hurts to ask...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Perhaps the person you bought the second from is willing to exchange it for an F (the new section you got from Lamy)?

Never hurts to ask...

D.ick

Too much hassle I think as I brough it from a brick and mortar in another European country while on a business trip... Not the easiest thing to do as I do not travel there with any regularity.

Too much hassle I think as I brough it from a brick and mortar in another European country while on a business trip... Not the easiest thing to do as I do not travel there with any regularity.

That is always the risk when buying while on holiday. I have had that myself.

Anyway, you now have 2 well functioning pens.... Either enjoy them both, or try to sell one.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~