What's Your Favourite Pen/ink Combination For Rubbish Paper?

Tom Traubert

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• ac12

• sandy101

• LamyOne

Use a gel pen (ball pen that write as easily as a FP), or a fiber pen.

With both of these options, virtually zero pressure on the pen is required.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Being retired...I don't have to use crappy papers....super skinny nibs or forgery proof inks.

Good luck with the world you can't change in day time.

Have fun at night, on good to better papers scribbling with fun nibs and inks....of course that is going to stop your addiction to 30 year old single malts. :P

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a Lamy Logo with an EF nib; I don't like the hard, characterless nib (or the Logo itself, particularly!), but it writes very reliably on poor paper such as newspaper crosswords, with any ink, without feathering, bleeding, skipping.

+1 for Lamy inks. I grade a lot of papers using Lamy ink and pens.

Inks that have not worked for me on sub-24lb paper: Noodler’s Black, Noodler’s Blue, Organic Studios, Private Reserve.

Inks that have? Lamy of course, Sailor, Platinum (but not Carbon Black!), Pilot-Iroshizuku, and Rohrer & Klingner.

Lamy Blue is by far the best fountain pen ink I’ve ever used, across the board on all kinds of paper and in all kinds of pens.

Full disclosure: I’m a German teacher so I’m biased towards German inks and pens.

+1 for Lamy inks. I grade a lot of papers using Lamy ink and pens.

Inks that have not worked for me on sub-24lb paper: Noodler’s Black, Noodler’s Blue, Organic Studios, Private Reserve.

Inks that have? Lamy of course, Sailor, Platinum (but not Carbon Black!), Pilot-Iroshizuku, and Rohrer & Klingner.

Lamy Blue is by far the best fountain pen ink I’ve ever used, across the board on all kinds of paper and in all kinds of pens.

Full disclosure: I’m a German teacher so I’m biased towards German inks and pens.

In the inks that have not worked, were they used in a Lamy? (and the Entire line of Private Reserve and Organic Studio?) Reason I ask is because the nib/feed used is just as important as the ink used, since it's the combined result.

Edited by KBeezie

• 1 year later...

It seems like everyone is leaning towards Lamy here. I was wondering which ink is best for low quality paper that is 10-15gsm. An ink that doesn't feather and works well with a "M" nib on a 823.

So far I've picked:

1. Noodler's HOD

2. Lamy Black

3. Waterman Intense Black

Would love your opinions on which out of the three is best in terms of several properties (so minimum bleeding/feathering/sheen doesn't really matter IMO/wetness).

Thanks!

Completely unrelated: Heard Pilot have 350ml bottles of blue or black ink for sale and on amazon they are only 20 bucks! I wonder how those perform! That kind of bottle would last me ages.

Edited by ItwasLuck

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib

Eeer... Far from me to start a flaming discussion, but the students might just not afford the fountain pen paper just because their teacher has the habit of using fountain pens.

I trust that the cheaper paper sheets have never influenced their marks.

Bad paper requires a fine nib, a dry pen, and (ideally) a dry ink.

I'd expected to say "Hero 616 + Heart of Darkness." But then I see that first, you're using Carbon Black, which probably is even better behaved on bad paper, if not so economical, and also that you're talking about markup. I don't use black for markup, because it doesn't stand out from black printouts much.

Pen: I'm going to suggest Platinum Plaisirs, with either the 0.3mm F nib, or 0.2mm XF nibs (which have to be salvaged from Platinum Preppies), loaded with a suitable array of red, orange, magenta, minty bright green, and light turquoise. Platinum cartridges can be refilled with a 3ml polypropylene bulb pipette. I have never used a Platinum converter, but hear they're rubbish.

Ink: The best inks for not feathering are (according to what I've read here) IG inks (eg, R&K Salix & Scabiosa, ESSRI, Diamine Registrar's), nano-pigment inks (Platinum Carbon Black, Sailor Sei-Boku, a few others), and and generally dry inks (Pelikan 4001). Special inclusions are Noodler's Black, Heart of Darkness, and X-Feather.

R&K Scabiosa ought to perform well on bad paper (it's IG), and stand out better than Salix (it's sort of dusty purple, rather than dusty blue-grey).

As KBeezie says, Pilot Blue-Black is really good ink on nearly any paper, in nearly any pen. It looks almost as dull as an ink can, though. Sandy1's review includes a writing sample on pulp page-a-day calendar paper with little evidence of feathering.

As for myself, when I have markup to do, I expect to fill a Hero 616 with a single squeeze of Noodler's Rattler Red Eel, and flush it after a week.

Use a gel pen (ball pen that write as easily as a FP), or a fiber pen.

With both of these options, virtually zero pressure on the pen is required.

I wouldn't use a felt tip on crappy paper because they ghost even worse than a fountain pen, but the gel pen is definitely a good suggestion.

You can't go wrong with R & K Salix. Put it in two pens with moderate-flow nibs, an EF and an F. Together they should handle every paper, good and bad.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Gel pen or rollerball.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com