Pink Roses Floral Stationery Portfolio

I discovered this lovely stationery folio at Barnes & Noble this weekend.

I couldn't resist the beautiful roses in pink and purple; so entirely perfect, as though they were made just for me.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f8/a3/bc/f8a3bc5c40443c4920f9f1fc5cdf48a6.jpg

This folio includes 10 cards and 10 envelopes. They are decorated with roses. Even the inside of the envelopes have the beautiful rose design on the inside. The folios were $9 each.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c2/dd/59/c2dd5911191a3786dc3056fec033c9f9.jpg

There were only two of these sets at my local B&N, and I had to get them both. I asked one of the clerks if they had these restocked often, and he confirmed my suspicions that they are unique and the stock is infrequent.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6e/70/9f/6e709f8ef27cb4bf159a527100d00602.jpg

I was so excited to bring them home and test it out, but at the same time knowing I only have 20, I also want to cherish them and to savor each precious card and envelope!

I inked up my TWSBI Mini Rose Gold & White with a broad Pendleton Butter-Line-Stub with Mont Blanc Lavender Purple ink. I think the dark purple ink coordinates well to the darker colors in the rose design.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/85/f0/34/85f0345e3cba7af006732ba830aacf24.jpg

I wrote down verse one and verse three from an old hymn called "Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting." It is currently one of my favorite hymns and the words lift up my soul in beauty and peace!

So I know the big question - Is it Fountain Pen Friendly?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3c/3b/30/3c3b3048e35e0b30eb3c71e31f3add6c.jpg

And the answer is YES!

I did notice a tiny bit of feathering where the ink was laid down really wet, but I had just freshly inked my pen so there was a lot of ink in the feed - more than in an ordinary writing session. No bleed through, no show through. The paper is a bit thick, I am not sure of the weight as none is listed, but by my guess it is thicker than 32lb but not as thick as 65 lb. Again just my guess!

The ink color looked absolutely gorgeous on the cream colored paper! Swoon worthy! :happycloud9:

I don't know if this would do well with something extreme like an Ahab flex, but for finer nibs/drier inks to moderately wet it appears fine from my one sample. As I use more through time and try different inks and nibs I will get a better feel for what this paper can handle.

Here is the photo from the B&N website:

http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9780641699634_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg

Over all I am very well pleased! My only regret is that I may never be able to find it again.

I did with some searching find it on the B&N website, although it is sold in stores only and all stores near me (within a 3 hour radius) are sold out.

Here is the link to the product on B&N website:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/home-gift-pink-roses-floral-large-stationery-portfolio-s-10/12604445?ean=9780641699634&itm=1&usri=9780641699634

If I ever come across more of this gorgeousness I will definitely be indulging in purchasing more of it!

Has anyone else tried any papers by the brand Kartos? The label also says San Lorenzo Italy.

Please share your experiences and thoughts!

And to leave us with a last image of those gorgeous roses...

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/cb/9e/c6/cb9ec6fc91109b4b441ea8cedb823e06.jpg

Edited by Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tessy Moon

• Anne-Sophie

• inkstainedruth

• sirgilbert357

I noticed something very special this morning with this lovely set ~ it shimmers in the sunlight!!!!

There is a subtle gold dust on the cards, envelopes and folio that glimmers when in direct sunlight!

It is mostly concentrated on the flowers, but can be noticed elsewhere; nothing distracting just a lovely addition.

I absolutely love this set! I can not imagine how it could be better! ♥

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

I was so moved by your review I just checked all the B&N around me, resolving to go buy up what they had and send it to you (if you wanted me to) and they are all out of stock too. Did you try Amazon and Ebay?

Edit: Oh, and I'd call those stores and give them the stock number and make them check the shelves for it. I've done this with stuff that was "out of stock" before and there will be a stray 1 or 2 hiding on the shelf sometimes. Depends on how well they do inventory, sometimes the numbers are a smidge off...

Edited by sirgilbert357

I was so moved by your review I just checked all the B&N around me, resolving to go buy up what they had and send it to you (if you wanted me to) and they are all out of stock too. Did you try Amazon and Ebay?

Edit: Oh, and I'd call those stores and give them the stock number and make them check the shelves for it. I've done this with stuff that was "out of stock" before and there will be a stray 1 or 2 hiding on the shelf sometimes. Depends on how well they do inventory, sometimes the numbers are a smidge off...

Sir Gilbert you are too kind! Thank you for your thoughtfulness and generosity!!!

I have not been able to find this set anywhere else online; I have scoured Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, Google, Bing, etc. As well as searching through miscellaneous stationery stores online, including ones that do sell other Kartos products and even the San Lorenzo website. I think it might be a product that is only sold through B&N since I can not find mention of it anywhere else.

I will take your advice and call the stores near by, perhaps as you say, they have some hiding in the shelves. And I will check my local B&N every time I visit.

Thank you for being so courteous! I appreciate your kind concern!

Tessy Moon

Sir Gilbert you are too kind! Thank you for your thoughtfulness and generosity!!!

I have not been able to find this set anywhere else online; I have scoured Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, Google, Bing, etc. As well as searching through miscellaneous stationery stores online, including ones that do sell other Kartos products and even the San Lorenzo website. I think it might be a product that is only sold through B&N since I can not find mention of it anywhere else.

I will take your advice and call the stores near by, perhaps as you say, they have some hiding in the shelves. And I will check my local B&N every time I visit.

Thank you for being so courteous! I appreciate your kind concern!

My pleasure, sorry its so hard to find. I wonder if that brand does any other similar designs that might still appeal to you, but be sold elsewhere -- like a Hallmark store or something...

I will keep my eyes open!

I am sure to find other papers and stationery to enjoy as well! It is just a matter of looking and waiting until you find the right ones! And there's always bound to be some new wonderful discovery! :)

Tessy Moon

Papier Plume in New Orleans carries the Kartos brand stationery. It might be worthwhile to contact them and ask whether they carry, or could obtain, the pattern you love. Or you might like other papers by Kartos. PapierPlume has a good reputation here on FPN as a search will show you. https://www.papierplume.com/product-catalogue/stationery/kartos-station.html

I don't know anything about the Florentine Shop in Florida, but they show stationery like or similar to the one you posted about.

http://florentineshop.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=43

Good Luck

Maybe if you do a Google search for the brand name you can find online sources for the stationery. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it in the B&N stores near me, but stuff comes and goes -- a number of years ago I found notecards that had the design of Rennie Mackintosh watercolors, particularly checkered lilies. Now I'm sorry I didn't buy several boxes because of course the next time I needed notecards they were long gone.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Make sure to keep one of sheet of paper, blank ,so that, you can reproduce the lovely roses, and, make your own stationery, when this product is discontinued.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thank you all for the kind suggestions! I will be keeping my eyes open in case I see it anywhere else!

I will follow Anne-Sophie's advice and save one so I can make my own stationery! That's a great idea! Thank you! :)

Tessy Moon

Those are beautiful!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you Amber! They are lovely and unique!

Tessy Moon

• 4 weeks later...

I've searched there too. They do have a rose stationery but it is very different - not the same colors or style.

Thank you for responding! I appreciate it!

Tessy Moon

It drives me crazy when stuff goes in and out. A number of years ago I found these really lovely note-cards that the design based on the Rennie Macintosh watercolor of checkered lilies (Fritillary meleagris), a small spring bulb. When I used up the cards after a year or two, the store didn't have them any more (didn't think to look on the B&N website, but I tried other locations in the area).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth ~ It's good to know I am not alone! At the same time I feel your pain ~ it is really frustrating to find something you really enjoy and not be able to replenish it. Especially something as personal as stationery or note cards. It is something that expresses yourself as a person as well as a means to connect with others and it is such a delight to find just the right "one," then such a shame to discover you can't have anymore.

Nonetheless, I am truly enjoying these beautiful note cards. They are lovely in every way and I am so glad to have them :)

Tessy Moon

• 3 weeks later...

Great news! I visited my local B&N and they had more of these in stock!

I asked the lady checking stock and she said they do get them in regularly only the company waits until they are completely out before sending more, but they do come in reliably. So hooray! :D

On another note (pun intended) I found some lovely floral stationery from amazon that I am hoping is fp friendly. It is made by Peter Pauper Press and the customer service was great. They said their products are tested to be used with fountain pens and inks. If I am well pleased I will post about them here. They have quite a range of pretty journals, note cards and such.

This is the stationery set I purchased:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d5/f8/20/d5f820aa6cc53da7ca9832252b30ffe4.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Fuchsia-Blooms-Stationery-Set-Boxed/dp/1441315640/ref=pd_sim_b_42?ie=UTF8&refRID=07J45TXDZZPQMZ5AAA6D

Tessy Moon

Your two sets of stationery are lovely; I like the new set a lot, too.

I may have some good news for you about Peter Pauper Press: I think I have more than a dozen of their notebooks, all of which I have found to be fountain pen friendly; and their designs are usually very modest. I'd expect you can't go wrong with their stationery either. Enjoy!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

In my previous post I forgot to say that these sets are, or at least, were quite common in France.

To insure fountain pen friendly behavior, a set of Clairefontaine notecards decorated with flowers stickers could make a suitable replacement.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 2 weeks later...

The Peter Pauper Press stationery is quite lovely and took my fp's well! I've only written a couple letters so far, but have encountered no problems.

The only trouble is that the reverse side is blank white, and I had hoped it would be the same shade of blue. It isn't a big deal, I can only really use one side of the paper.

The envelopes are a little less friendly with my broad stubs but alright with finer nibs.

I am hoping to reproduce the Kartos rose design on some nice ivory paper, perhaps my Neenah 32 lb professional series paper. It is absolutely lovely for writing, and has a nice thickness to it. I have to get a new ink cartridge for my printer though...I keep forgetting to order one, lol.

Tessy Moon