Paperblanks

Uncial

I might have missed it, but I don't think that Paperblanks gets a mention here too often. No affiliation, just a little shout out for a brand that I use very regularly and am very happy with. I know that the early ones could be slightly dodgy with fountain pens, but that is now thankfully corrected. I love the look and feel of them and have never had any show through or bleed issues, but I was wondering if they are only available in Europe (hence the lack of mention here)?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• fountainpenlady

• pepsiplease69

• Pussinboots

I have a couple of notebooks and they're of variable quality. My Great Gatsby notebook is superb - really nice paper, but I have another antique leather one that is like a sponge.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

I like them, with one caution. The oversize, "Master" series has paper inferior to the Moleskine sized journals & planners. Very enjoyable to write in.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

The Paper Blanks Daily Planners are VERY Fountain Pen friendly...Have used them for 3 years and they are excellent.

I was trying to decide between Hobonichi and Paper Blanks daily planners...I chose Paper Blanks and I have been very pleased.

Bill

Jenni Bick offers a good selection here in the States, as does the European Paper a Company. I experience uneven paper, sometimes in the same volume. But the covers are so nice that I tend to use them for conferences where I'll use rollerballs or BPs.

While I'm waiting for Exaclair to make a true Rhodia Webbie weekly planner, I'll stick with Paperblanks. I'm on my second one. I also use two small unlined Paperblanks notebooks for ongoing projects. I've had excellent experiences with the planners. Of my inks, only Noodler's BSB bleeds through, and it's only a partial bleed-through. The paper in the small notebooks, however, has exhibited inconsistencies, with occasional (more than rarely) partial bleed-through of inks that don't bleed through other sheets in the same notebook. Still, overall, I like these notebooks.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Goodness; from the responses here I think I have been very, very fortunate. Of the eight paper blanks I have, the paper quality in all of them is great. I had heard that some made before a certain date (not sure what that date is sadly) were variable in paper quality, but I haven't come across that yet.

I'll be glad when that stock finally runs out at my assorted sources as I really want to love them. So well constructed & pretty that I keep grabbing a few during sales.

• 3 weeks later...

I too love paperblank journals.

I love the writers series and the old world looking journals.

Oh and I have been using their day planners for the last 3 years or so.

Never any issues with my fountain pens.

My favorite is the Edgar Allen Poe journal or maybe my Amy Winehouse journal.

They've been inconsistent for me, too. I used one of their planners as a reading journal some years ago, and that was okay - not great, but okay. I have another one that serves as a commonplace book, and that one is awful: even with a Japanese fine nib, I can only use one side of the paper because of bleed-through, and alternating pages have alternating quality, between "not very good" and "terrible". After that one, I swore off them forever, but someone gave me another a few years ago; that one is actually quite decent, so maybe they have improved - or maybe I just got lucky with that one. I'd like to believe they've improved their paper, because the covers are lovely.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

I got a good batch on sale from JenniBick.com so maybe the old bad paper is finally making its way out of the system.

I have used a number of Paperblanks journals over the past years and all have worked well for me. I have not tried any of their other products.

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

• 3 months later...

I have one now and I have mixed feelings about it. Yes, it is pretty and cream paper does not bleed with any ink I have tried.My problem is the texture of the paper, which is not smooth but ribbed - it has horizontal grooves which make writing with fine nibs quite difficult. Only very smooth and wet medium to broad nibs can acceptably glide over the bumps. I don't think I will be buying it again.

Got a better batch of paper in journals during recent sales. Notice my italics occasionally catch their corners much like the poster above noted for their fines. What surprises me is the way one bottle of Sailor ink performs perfectly, yet the next ghosts heavily. There seems no rhyme or reason.

If I had to transcribe notes, it would drive me nuts, but given that I don't go back to reread journal pages, it's not bad enough to be a deal breaker.

I love the midi unlined/sketch version of Paperblanks. Perfect size.

Love the feel of the paper and the paper not being white. Love that there are just enough pages. I hate journals, which go on beyond my lifespan or desire. I have had the larger version, but found it to be a bit much, since I don't draw or doodle, just love the fact there are no lines to inhibit my creative flow.

Lovenotes.com is where usually I purchased Paperblanks. :wub:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I love the midi unlined/sketch version of Paperblanks. Perfect size.

Love the feel of the paper and the paper not being white. Love that there are just enough pages. I hate journals, which go on beyond my lifespan or desire. I have had the larger version, but found it to be a bit much, since I don't draw or doodle, just love the fact there are no lines to inhibit my creative flow.

Lovenotes.com is where usually I purchased Paperblanks. :wub:

I am currently using a midi Paperblanks journal, the Amy Winehouse one, a friend bought it me for my birthday. I am loving it. I used to buy bulky journals but this one is so neat and I feel it will last me a while. After this one I may move onto a Moleskin type one.

Do you use your Paperblanks as a journal/diary? I have the one with lines though, not the plain paper.

I know the paperblanks edition you mention. I write almost constantly during my waking moments. I can not recall what it is called to do so. As a result, I normally maintain one journal/diary (it fills both purposes at the same time). Also currently, I am keeping an additional one besides my original one simultaneously.

I abandoned a moleskine some months ago. I have recently picked it back up, and resumed writing in it. As I age, I have developed into someone who tends to forget things more easily. Therefore, I also write my to do lists in either or both, depending on which is in my hand when I think of what must me done. :eureka:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I LOVE the Paperblanks covers but am hesitant to buy one after hearing the stories of varying paper quality. Maybe next year when I've gone thru a few more (I hope!) of the journals I already have. (mostly Rhodia and Tamoe River paper journals)

I have two lovely Master size Paperblanks journals from about 4 years ago that have a few pages written on in each. The bleedthrough was nasty -- and as several have mentioned, inconsistent from one page to the next. I had to abandon them. So pretty I can't bring myself to throw them out. What I should do is razor out those pages and give the journals to someone who writes with a ballpoint.

I have two lovely Master size Paperblanks journals from about 4 years ago that have a few pages written on in each. The bleedthrough was nasty -- and as several have mentioned, inconsistent from one page to the next. I had to abandon them. So pretty I can't bring myself to throw them out. What I should do is razor out those pages and give the journals to someone who writes with a ballpoint.

For sure. I also have one of the large sketchbooks and donated it. It was also beautiful, but I knew I could not handle the amount of space provided. I am sure someone who draws or sketches could make better use of it. It would be a shame to simply discard or let it remain in limbo. :)