Esterbrook Brand Being Revived This December?

KBeezie

We all need to give thanks to Mr. Boy.

Not only is this just a fingernail scraping of the Vast Accumulation that stretches across state borders, even this paltry clump of vintage Esterbrook implements illustrates the key problem that was the demise of the company:

Not. Enough. Different. Colors.

Poor Richard. He was never very happy about trying to please the vagaries of the masses...

http://www.esterbrook.net/images/ephemera/EstbkPanAm1901.jpg

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• KBeezie

• OcalaFlGuy

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know, I wouldn't be so offended by it all if it weren't for the man's blatant rudeness toward others. Had he not been rude to others, stealing photos from websites, and evasive about product questions, I would have just shrugged it off with a simple thought of, "Eh, that's way too much to spend on a mere kit pen. My wallet is safe." And toodled on my merry way.

Because we all know it ain't an Esterbrook. You can paint a wall blue and call it red, but that doesn't make it true. And it doesn't take a lot of investigating to figure that out.

But you don't get to act like a 'hole and expect people won't call you out on it just because your "ode to the past" product is hiding behind an historic name.

+1

I commented on the guy's website -- I guess it's several weeks ago at this point -- about the blatant use of images without permission (read my previous comments about "But Honestly Monica" -- how many pages back in this thread is that now?) And I got zero response.

And I don't even have an unlisted phone number for him to hack into....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You guys have to be kidding me, right?!?

That box is made of vintage cocobolo, found submerged in Lake Titicaca and salvaged, the presentation cover is laser-engraved precious lucite, and the satin lining is made from Hugh Hefner's smoking jacket.

Third-tier, myass.

It may not be a third-tier box. But that doesn't make it a tasteful, high class box. (I seem to remember a thread a couple of years ago with photos of a Parker 51 where the cap was encrusted with diamonds.... :sick:)

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Everyone should buy one of these [ E-Box ] and then take the pen to someplace and build a tower with them and then light it on fire.. No we can not do that. Sorry...,

Everyone should buy one of these [ E-Box ] and then take the pen to someplace and build a tower with them and then light it on fire.. No we can not do that. Sorry...,

We can't?

post-115055-0-56712800-1425610423.jpg

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

If it was made of celluloid that could be spectacular.

If it was made of celluloid that could be spectacular.

And highly flammable....

Wow. I was just having fun, but I do realize this is all serious business. The classical musical world (and I'm sure other occupations) is having nightmares about instruments being confiscated and destroyed because they used materials 100-200 years ago to make instruments that are now regulated by law. Priceless violin bows, for instance, have been destroyed in customs offices because of a small piece of ivory from the 19th century.

Anyway, my box story was for yucks, but we're getting into serious matters. At least I put some vintage Esties in the photo!

I hadn't heard about that. As someone who played pool for quite a while, I had some custom cues. Some had ivory in them, and it was a big discussion point for a while. At the time, it was apparently okay to own and to use to build cues using "pre-ban" ivory - material collected (however that happened) and sold/traded before it was illegal - so long as they had paperwork to prove it. I admit I haven't been around the industry much in the recent years though, so that may very well have changed.

On their Facebook it says they've started production of "The Remake". We'll see how it turns out this time. I'm not exactly holding my breath.

"Oh deer."

• 3 weeks later...

Well.. I was looking for an answer about a vintage Esterbrook nib I have not seen before. This looks like the group of folks that would know the answer..... I happened upon a Grey and a Green J and a sweet LJ black pencil.. all in unbelivibly great shape... Appear to be in tip top original condition, not restored. I think they would only need new sacs, as the lever bar works, chrome is perfect, cap and barrels super shiny, no cracks etc.

As for the nibs, Both are in great shape as well. The grey nib is marked -9048 made in USA-, and the Green nib is marked- 2314-M Relief-. This relief nib is what I am most curious about.

I have not seen a relief nib before so I am eager to learn what anyone can tell me about it., from the top it appears to be an italic nib with the tip on the underside of the nib. The tip is shaped much like the end of the actual pocket clip... It writes really smoothly, rather broad and has a definite "sweet spot that seems to allow the nib to glide. (and that was just dipping the nib into water and using the dried ink from the nib ) I suppose with fresh ink it would be really fun.

I would also like to ask if anyone can tell me of other sites to post or trade various brand vintage FP's to other FP lovers. I don't sell on e-bay or any other site. I am not a collector or seller of vintage pens, and I don't do restoration. Unfortunately, I love a good estate or antique or junk shop find. Then I love researching and learning about the ones I find and their working, designs/designers, the manufacturers and the like. With no intention of using them after I have done some research and reading about them;

I have recently purchased a Sheaffer Valiant TM Touchdown FP - pencil set in original white curved/hinged box. Super clean, Fills easy, writes great- I have been using it about 2 months without any problems.

Finally, a vintage Conklin, also in pretty good shape with a syringe type fill, gold plated nib. I have only been able to find one similar to it (on e-bay) If anyone can tell me where I might find some info on it ???? I have no clue what model or year it is. The rod slides in and out easily, allows for cleaning, but would need the filling system/gaskets repaired.

I love my FP's and use them daily. I just prefer to use a few newer models and knock about pens.With 50+ in rotation that get used all week long. I guess I like to stick with the newer, replaceable pens because my friends always seem to find at least one they end up taking home. So, I am constantly needing to find others to keep my bags fully stocked, LOL But it has helped introduce a lot of younger folks to using FP's , so it is a good cause :)

I do have one vintage pen that I had restored as it has meaning to me. I am good with that one :) For some reason, I can't bring myself to use the vintage pens and 'spoil" their history or condition. Shame to keep them in a drawer *shrug* I'd be happy to sell reasonably as I am only looking to maybe find a nice pen or two I've had my eye on. Perhaps ones I won't be so quickly give away!

Pardon my long post - Thanks

Edited by j-e-g

• 10 months later...

Interesting and kind of laughable that 2 days ago some previously DELETED comments suddenly showed up on the wonderful new Esterbrook Pen Company’s facebook page. They have since been deleted again, but here are some samples:

Jeff Smith to Esterbrook Pen Company/Harpen Brand Holdings, LLC

Unapproved

Damn right I'm mad. I don't like getting jerked around and lied to. The trouble you caused me with my post office is enough to make anyone upset. And the way you talked to me by text was shameful behavior for a business owner. All I asked for was a tracking number. Several times I asked for one. It would have done so much to eliminate the wasted efforts of my postmaster and myself. I was even questioning my trust in my mailman. It shouldn't come to that, but your neglect to prove your shipments is what caused all these problems. When I try to talk to you about it, you say "call me", I did, and you didn't answer, so I left voicemail, and you texted back that you were busy and "I'll call you Monday". That was a lie because it never happened. You never called after I gave you my number. You obviously didn't care enough to write it down or save the message, but I did. I have the entire conversation since you first promised to send me a sample of your product. I'm not mad about the phantom pens you supposedly shipped but can't prove, but the trouble it cost me when they never arrived and you blatantly told me that "my records showed that it shipped, and was delivered to your residence". That Sir, is what makes me less than happy with you. I have no desire to own something from you or your company. That desire left a long time ago. I have read the reviews on what you have released, and am not impressed with what I hear. I'll just be happy with what I know are vintage originals. I hope you don't treat everyone with the disrespect you have shown me. And before you accuse me of defaming your company again, prove to me that what I say isn't absolutely true. And just so you know, this is not a rant, you blocked me from telling the truth to the public the best way you knew, and deleted my post on your company website, because you could defend your position. Your posturing with me via text does not scare me either. I already told you that I am a veteran, and your harsh name calling does little to affect me, but it does show everyone your character. So before you tell me to stop what I'm doing and block me for telling my side, remember that as a bona fide red blooded American, I demand truth and justice, not just some false promises to make me like you. I'm sure you'll be pulling down this post as well. Good Luck in your endeavors!

Brad Dowdy to Esterbrook Pen Company/Harpen Brand Holdings, LLC

Unapproved

I'm wondering how your customers like Fahrney's pens like being undercut by their own supplier?

Larry Usselman to Esterbrook Pen Company/Harpen Brand Holdings, LLC

Unapproved

Where is your manufacturing plant? If Esterbrook is "America's Original Pen Company", then I hope these pens are actually American-made.

I just want to remind everyone how impressed I was with the box.

I was not alone in my impression.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Has anyone commented publicly on their page that the box is so nice? It would be a shame to not get the word out.

Has anyone commented publicly on their page that the box is so nice? It would be a shame to not get the word out.

I think Farmboy said it so many times he was nearly committed...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I think Farmboy said it so many times he was nearly committed...

I don't think the reason is because of that.

Ok, I've commented on their post on February 12th. Lets see how long it stays up for.

Their post:

Abraham Lincoln born this day February 12th, 1809

(Picture of their "Lincoln Pen")

My Comment:

"Is that why you made a pen celebrating the day of his assassination?"

Edited by benbot517

"Oh deer."