Review: Bexley Corona Blueberry Cream (Fine)

siopaopei

Hi folks! I just got my first Bexley and I wrote a review about it. You can read the full review here.

First Impressions (10/10)

I’ve always been curious about Bexley pens, but I admit the Corona wasn’t really very interesting for me because it’s not what I would call photogenic. The photos I saw online of these pens didn’t compel me to get one at all. That all changed when I went to a pen meet with local fountain pen enthusiasts and collectors and I got to try one out.

After the meet, I ordered one exactly like the pen I tried in the meet from the local Bexley dealer and a couple of days ago, I finally had it in my hands.

p1040422.jpg?w=634&h=356

Appearance (9/10)

Appearance-wise, I think the Corona is a very beautiful pen and it feels like it’s made of good quality material and excellent workmanship. It’s reminiscent of classic American vintage fountain pens with influences of the art deco styling. It looks like a classic beauty. It has a nice, solid heft to it, the piston mechanism feels great, the body of the pen is beautiful! It’s cream-colored resin with bright, china blue swirls on it. Different pens have different swirls, so no two pens are exactly alike.

I guess the reason it’s not the most photogenic pen is that you have to feel the pen in your hand and look at it up close to see the depth of the material and the beauty of the blue swirls. I feel giddy just looking at the patterns. There’s nothing industrial-looking about this pen at all. It’s like blue syrup poured into rich cream and frozen mid-swirl.

p1040427.jpg?w=634&h=356

The top of the cap is flat but the edges are smooth. I think the black resin used at the top and at the piston knob of the pen are great touches and really ties up the whole pen’s design in a neat way. The sliver of ink window is a tad too wide for me, when capped a tiny bit of it shows. I’d like it to be a bit narrower, but really I’m just nitpicking at this point.

When I met up with the dealer to buy the pen, I also looked at the Poseidon Magnum II (Bronze Sands) and I fell in love with that pen as well (next year, maybe?), it felt more luxurious, for lack of a better word. However, the Corona really is no slouch at all. It feels every bit of a great pen, and I know it’ll develop a good look as it grows older.

Design/Size/Weight (10/10)

As mentioned earlier, the pen felt very well-made. The weight is very pleasant, even when you’re using it unposted. I think you can’t post the pen, even if the cap fits into the piston knob. It feels unwieldy and too much of a tight fit.

The piston mechanism is smooooooth. Yes, that many o’s. I have a couple of piston fillers (Pelikan M200 and TWSBI 580) and this, by far, is the smoothest piston I’ve ever worked with. It’s pretty easy to disassemble too. The removable nib unit makes the pen easier to clean, too. Saving the piston mechanism from being worn out through too much twisting and turning.

p1040423.jpg?w=634&h=356

I think the workmanship of this pen, from the clip to the body and mechanism, is pretty excellent. I love it a lot.

Nib (8/10)

The only letdown here is the nib, kind of. It’s a standard fine nib, gold-plated stainless steel, without much spring in it. It wrote reliably, but it could be a bit wetter. So I tuned it a bit, did a little work on it and it now writes with a more generous ink flow. People who don’t know how to adjust nibs might find the dry flow a bit off-putting, though.

p10404431.jpg?w=634&h=356

However, once I got the inkflow fixed, the nib just writes perfectly. I wish I can explain exactly how it feels. It’s not as smooth as if you were writing on glass, but it’s not an unpleasant toothy feeling either. The feedback is VERY pleasant. Feels more like you can feel the paper on the nib, you can feel the fibers and hear the nib scratching on it ever so slightly. It makes me want to write on and on. That’s a pretty amazing thing.

Filling System (10/10)

The Bexley Corona is a piston-filler, and a mighty smooooooth piston filler at that. I had no issues whatsoever with the piston filler right from the start. The pen’s barrel, being as large as it is, can hold an enormous amount of ink which will last me a long time. Although, being in the habit of switching inks regularly, I only fill my piston pens halfway through. Perhaps if I find a perfect ink matchup (like my Pelikan M200 and Diamine Dark Olive), I’ll make it a monogamous match.

Cost and Value (10/10)

I got this pen at a very friendly price (not full retail), so for a price that’s cheaper than a TWSBI Micarta, I got a gorgeous, bench made, piston filler with easily exchangeable nib units...this one’s a no-brainer.

Conclusion (9/10)

I am really happy with this pen, and I’m happy with it’s now part of my collection. It’s not ostentatious, but it’s certainly eye-catching in its beauty.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siopaopei

• Helen350

• georges zaslavsky

• MKeith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi folks! I just got my first Bexley and I wrote a review about it. You can read the full review here.
I’ve always been curious about Bexley pens, but I admit the Corona wasn’t really very interesting for me because it’s not what I would call photogenic. The photos I saw online of these pens didn’t compel me to get one at all. That all changed when I went to a pen meet with local fountain pen enthusiasts and collectors and I got to try one out.
After the meet, I ordered one exactly like the pen I tried in the meet from the local Bexley dealer and a couple of days ago, I finally had it in my hands.
p1040422.jpg?w=634&h=356
Appearance (9/10)
Appearance-wise, I think the Corona is a very beautiful pen and it feels like it’s made of good quality material and excellent workmanship. It’s reminiscent of classic American vintage fountain pens with influences of the art deco styling. It looks like a classic beauty. It has a nice, solid heft to it, the piston mechanism feels great, the body of the pen is beautiful! It’s cream-colored resin with bright, china blue swirls on it. Different pens have different swirls, so no two pens are exactly alike.
I guess the reason it’s not the most photogenic pen is that you have to feel the pen in your hand and look at it up close to see the depth of the material and the beauty of the blue swirls. I feel giddy just looking at the patterns. There’s nothing industrial-looking about this pen at all. It’s like blue syrup poured into rich cream and frozen mid-swirl.
p1040427.jpg?w=634&h=356
The top of the cap is flat but the edges are smooth. I think the black resin used at the top and at the piston knob of the pen are great touches and really ties up the whole pen’s design in a neat way. The sliver of ink window is a tad too wide for me, when capped a tiny bit of it shows. I’d like it to be a bit narrower, but really I’m just nitpicking at this point.
When I met up with the dealer to buy the pen, I also looked at the Poseidon Magnum II (Bronze Sands) and I fell in love with that pen as well (next year, maybe?), it felt more luxurious, for lack of a better word. However, the Corona really is no slouch at all. It feels every bit of a great pen, and I know it’ll develop a good look as it grows older.
As mentioned earlier, the pen felt very well-made. The weight is very pleasant, even when you’re using it unposted. I think you can’t post the pen, even if the cap fits into the piston knob. It feels unwieldy and too much of a tight fit.
The piston mechanism is smooooooth. Yes, that many o’s. I have a couple of piston fillers (Pelikan M200 and TWSBI 580) and this, by far, is the smoothest piston I’ve ever worked with. It’s pretty easy to disassemble too. The removable nib unit makes the pen easier to clean, too. Saving the piston mechanism from being worn out through too much twisting and turning.
p1040423.jpg?w=634&h=356
I think the workmanship of this pen, from the clip to the body and mechanism, is pretty excellent. I love it a lot.
Nib (8/10)
The only letdown here is the nib, kind of. It’s a standard fine nib, gold-plated stainless steel, without much spring in it. It wrote reliably, but it could be a bit wetter. So I tuned it a bit, did a little work on it and it now writes with a more generous ink flow. People who don’t know how to adjust nibs might find the dry flow a bit off-putting, though.
However, once I got the inkflow fixed, the nib just writes perfectly. I wish I can explain exactly how it feels. It’s not as smooth as if you were writing on glass, but it’s not an unpleasant toothy feeling either. The feedback is VERY pleasant. Feels more like you can feel the paper on the nib, you can feel the fibers and hear the nib scratching on it ever so slightly. It makes me want to write on and on. That’s a pretty amazing thing.
Filling System (10/10)
The Bexley Corona is a piston-filler, and a mighty smooooooth piston filler at that. I had no issues whatsoever with the piston filler right from the start. The pen’s barrel, being as large as it is, can hold an enormous amount of ink which will last me a long time. Although, being in the habit of switching inks regularly, I only fill my piston pens halfway through. Perhaps if I find a perfect ink matchup (like my Pelikan M200 and Diamine Dark Olive), I’ll make it a monogamous match.
Cost and Value (10/10)
I got this pen at a very friendly price (not full retail), so for a price that’s cheaper than a TWSBI Micarta, I got a gorgeous, bench made, piston filler with easily exchangeable nib units...this one’s a no-brainer.
Conclusion (9/10)
I am really happy with this pen, and I’m happy with it’s now part of my collection. It’s not ostentatious, but it’s certainly eye-catching in its beauty.

I felt that you would really like this Bexley. Excellent review and video. You do beautiful media work. I have added a picture of my Cappuccino. What camera do you use?

Snapshot_20141107_6.JPG

I felt that you would really like this Bexley. Excellent review and video. You do beautiful media work. I have added a picture of my Cappuccino. What camera do you use?

Hi Helen, I use a regular point and shoot camera. :) wow, that is a gorgeous pen!

Hi Helen, I use a regular point and shoot camera. :) wow, that is a gorgeous pen!

Every time I go to buy a camera to take better FP pictures, I wind up buying another pen instead. My snapshot really does not do this pen any justice. Of all my pens, it is definitely my favorite. I can't tell you how many times someone has wanted to write with it. I can no longer use that pen when I go to the Post Office, for there is one employee who has even asked for me to give him my pen. The man is crazy :wacko: Now I keep a Jinhao 599 in my purse for just those emergencies. I can see the Bexley Corona Blueberry Cream as an addition to my small, but growing, collection. It is a stunner!!! Many times the Bexley promo photos do their no pens justice, for when they arrive & you open the box, you find a pen that truly captures your attention. I even wrote the Bexley Company in Ohio to let them know just how much I value my Cappuccino, and I have never done anything like that before nor since. Looking forward to your future pen reviews and beautiful photo work.

p1040422.jpg?w=634&h=356
Appearance (9/10)
p1040427.jpg?w=634&h=356
p1040423.jpg?w=634&h=356
Nib (8/10)
Filling System (10/10)
Cost and Value (10/10)
Conclusion (9/10)

Congratulations, and thanks for a great review. I have had the exact same pen for about two years now. It is always in my rotation. Absolutely love to write with it's Binderized wet nib. The section on these pens has a old Wahl style which I find to be extremely comfortable to use for long periods of time.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Congratulations, and thanks for a great review. I have had the exact same pen for about two years now. It is always in my rotation. Absolutely love to write with it's Binderized wet nib. The section on these pens has a old Wahl style which I find to be extremely comfortable to use for long periods of time.

Yes, I do love the section a lot. it's very comfortable for times when I have to write a lot of things.

congrats on your bexley and thanks for the review :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for this wonderful and very informative review. I think it's the first time I've ever been tempted to take an interest in Bexley's. Love the blue and cream colored pattern!

If you want a Corona you better move fast, as they are being discontinued. Bexley Pen models do not stay in production permanently, and are eventually replaced as new designs are introduced. I can imagine they will be back, but likely with different colors and at a higher price point as the piston filler is a significant expense.

If you want a Corona you better move fast, as they are being discontinued. Bexley Pen models do not stay in production permanently, and are eventually replaced as new designs are introduced. I can imagine they will be back, but likely with different colors and at a higher price point as the piston filler is a significant expense.

That is true. Our local Bexley distributor didn't have lemon meringue anymore, and i think this is one of the last two blueberry creams that he has.