Paper Better Than Rhodia/clariefontanie

Sky Fountain Pens

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of buying some Clariefontanie or Rhodia paper but I was wondering if there was some paper

that drys faster or writes more smoother. If anyone has some suggestions please comment.

Thanks

Edited by Sky Fountain Pens

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• ink-syringe

• TREBFPN

• Lou Erickson

"Better" is a terribly vague word to use. Personal choice in matters like paper is quite high, so maybe you could express what it is that doesn't meet your needs with the above mentioned papers. What characteristics would you like to see improved on another paper, etc.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I discovered the Japanese Life Notebooks to be quite appealing. Japan has always been into design perfection when it comes to their stationery goods. I think this Life Noble Notebook is of the highest quality and holds the wettest of inks (Pilot iroshizuku Ink) in a fine and crisp manner. I know Amazon.com carries some varieties of this paper brand and there are a few Japanese online stores that sell it, like http://www.japanshop-quill.com . This Japanese store sells the LIFE Noble Note in an A4 size that opens in a horizontal fashion. I am using Clairfontaine and Rhodia as well but when I wish to make detailed drawings I use my LIFE notebook. Hope that helps.

"Better" is a terribly vague word to use. Personal choice in matters like paper is quite high, so maybe you could express what it is that doesn't meet your needs with the above mentioned papers. What characteristics would you like to see improved on another paper, etc.

agreed.

also "smooth" and "dries quickly" are usually opposing priorities.

I'm sure there has to be equal paper, but it's such a pleasure to write with these... Just get yourself a blower and it will dry faster. Might have to explain it's not a bomb at the airport though...

fpn_1415331592__rocket-air-blower.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I love Kokuyo paper as well as the Tomroe River paper - I use kokuyo for my maths work

agree with the others, your better will be someone else's POS and their POS might be your angels-sing-joy-to-the-world paper. There's just no getting anywhere with these things unless you get down to real specifics, and even then I think you're better off experimenting. This doesn't have to cost you a lot; there's a thread called paper exchange where you might be able to get samples, and a Pay It Forward too where you might be able to get them in exchange for nothing but passing on the favor yourself :-) For some papers, notably Tomoe River, you can also buy samples from various retailers (For bigger ones there's Jetpens but I'm pretty sure at least one member of FPN has them too, hope someone remembers who it is and can chime in).

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

I discovered the Japanese Life Notebooks to be quite appealing. Japan has always been into design perfection when it comes to their stationery goods. I think this Life Noble Notebook is of the highest quality and holds the wettest of inks (Pilot iroshizuku Ink) in a fine and crisp manner. I know Amazon.com carries some varieties of this paper brand and there are a few Japanese online stores that sell it, like http://www.japanshop-quill.com . This Japanese store sells the LIFE Noble Note in an A4 size that opens in a horizontal fashion. I am using Clairfontaine and Rhodia as well but when I wish to make detailed drawings I use my LIFE notebook. Hope that helps.

The Life Notebooks are beautiful. I bought them from an online store in Toronto: Wonderpens

Ive tried Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Apica, Tomoe River, over the years, but my favorite paper is definitely Maruman Sept Coleur notebooks that I get from maido in San jose. They are smoother than rhodia, line spreading is much less on this paper compared to Tomoe river, and shading, vividness of ink on Maruman are noticeably better compared to any of the others mentioned. They have perforated pages so you can use them to write letters too. I highly recommend these notebooks.

Edited by cellmatrix

I use Rhodia pads for most of my correspondence and it works just fine, although it is a little bit uninspiring in terms of fashioned stationery. I also use a Midori Traveler with their own paper, which I find is lovely to write on and will have to attempt to acquire some larger samples some time. I have heard good things about Tomoe River but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, and Nanami are offering Life Notebooks, but they are twice the price of Rhodia and I am not sure they are twice the quality.

I also use a Midori Traveler with their own paper, which I find is lovely to write on and will have to attempt to acquire some larger samples some time.

FYI: The Banditapple that fits in the Midori Traveler is excellent an you can get a free sample. Nice paper, better than the paper that comes in the Traveller I thought. YMMV.

I also enjoy the leuchtturm1917 despite the bleed through and ghosting. I has a nice finish and subtle tint and seems to make my pens write wetter. Hard to call it fountain pen friendly but it doesn't feather and if you are okay with only using one side of the page it is a joy to write on, but forget using both sides, especially with a wet broad nib.

Life is nice paper. I love it. I wish it were cheaper.
Anxious to try Tomoe River but that is one of the ones I have not found here.
Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

FYI: The Banditapple that fits in the Midori Traveler is excellent an you can get a free sample. Nice paper, better than the paper that comes in the Traveller I thought. YMMV.

My mileage does indeed vary! The Midori paper is a dream for me. Every pen I have tried on it works flawlessly. So much so that although i considered Banditapple as a possible replacement that actually fits, I have never been tempted to get any. Frankly speaking I can order Midori replacements direct from Japan for considerably less than what I would have to pay for Banditapple.

On that note: Banditapple must be imported. Further, Field Notes refuse to supply New Zealand and even blocked sales via Amazon. I wrote them directly to enquire as I was interested in the product and wanted to test it. They said no, and didn't even offer a test sample.

I'm happy with what I can get at the moment.

Edited by Cryptos

My mileage does indeed vary! The Midori paper is a dream for me. Every pen I have tried on it works flawlessly. So much so that although i considered Banditapple as a possible replacement that actually fits, I have never been tempted to get any. Frankly speaking I can order Midori replacements direct from Japan for considerably less than what I would have to pay for Banditapple.

On that note: Banditapple must be imported. Further, Field Notes refuse to supply New Zealand and even blocked sales via Amazon. I wrote them directly to enquire as I was interested in the product and wanted to test it. They said no, and didn't even offer a test sample.

I'm happy with what I can get at the moment.

For sure I wasn't badmouthing the Midori stuff. It's fine paper. I just guessed the Banditapple and Midori, were both import and hence Banditapple might actually be cheaper. I guessed wrong. haha.

Obviously for me, Banditapple couldn't be easier. Arnie even meets me at the subway and passes me my order over the turnstiles so I don't even have to pay an extra subway fare.

Happy with what you can get is a nice place to be. I am sure if I lived in Japan I would use the Midori paper and be plenty happy with that. I actually have some of their other papers and they are excellent, of course.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I use Rhodia pads for most of my correspondence and it works just fine, although it is a little bit uninspiring in terms of fashioned stationery. I also use a Midori Traveler with their own paper, which I find is lovely to write on and will have to attempt to acquire some larger samples some time. I have heard good things about Tomoe River but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, and Nanami are offering Life Notebooks, but they are twice the price of Rhodia and I am not sure they are twice the quality.

Thanks for the introduction to Nanami. They have an unique stock and I purchased a notebook and a paper mat.