Platinum #3776 Century Bourgogne Material Problem

VaN GoGh

I bought a new Platinum #3776 Century Bourgogne B nib for myself. While looking the transulence body in the daylight I saw some bubbles and the plastic looks like melted and weeping inside the body. So did anyone noticed this problem. I went to the pen store and check the other pens and they are the same. But you can not see it in the 3776 Motosu or Shoji.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VaN GoGh

• Glenn Atkins

• KBeezie

• Bex66

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not seeing this "Bubble" you speak of in my Bourgogne. When you look at it with a light shined to it brightly you'll be able to clearly see that it's the the inner wall of the barrel. Around where the converter or cartridge sits, it's a faceted almost octogonal shape around the wall that is sharply set in one place. Not really noticeable and clearly not a defect as it looks machined that way.

I shine a brighter light from the top, it's 10 sharp rectangles down the inner wall of the pen with a tiny bit of spacing between each rectangle.

Pardon the dust as it's hard to hide with so much direct light.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/3776/bourgogne/red_barrel.jpg

So yea, not a defect/problem, looks machined that way intentionally.

Edited by KBeezie

I don't have this exact #3776, but on other 3776's I have, I notice some general "imperfections". I.E, mine seem a bit rough around the threading, with some of machinery marks on the inside of the barrel. It seems like this is pretty common to all these pens and is not a defect (whether or not it was really an intended design feature is open to debate - not attending to some of these surfaces after machining may be how platinum keeps the price on the century so low, as I assume this would have to be hand-finished to clean up).

Edited by cpmcnamara

By the way I didn't mean about the sharp rectangles. I know that it's machinery made.

Ahh well then I don't have what you speak of unless you can point it out. Looked it over everywhere and the only odd thing that came to mind were those rectangles. I got mine new from Japan about 2 months back.

yes thats a defect in plastic moulding process that looks like an air bubble inside the plastic

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

That's what I guess " Plastic moulding process". The blue ones also has the same problem. So I talked with the seller and they told me they can get it back. I can get my cash or go for the black 3776 not to see inside :D another option is to use it this way. :unsure:

That's what I guess " Plastic moulding process". The blue ones also has the same problem. So I talked with the seller and they told me they can get it back. I can get my cash or go for the black 3776 not to see inside :D another option is to use it this way. :unsure:

Considering that mine doesn't even have that at all, an exchange wouldn't be out of order since that clearly looks like a defect to me.

• 6 months later...

I'd never looked before but both my Bourgogne and my Chartres Blue have the same 'swirls', they don't look like bubbles. Considering I hadn't noticed in over two years of use I'm not going to worry about it but would be interested to see what the responses from vendor/Platinum are.

Edited by GSteer

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

• 2 weeks later...

Oooo, my Chartres has just been retired for a while (I can only write regularly with about 4 pens at once!).

Just off to look for bubbles! (The pen is about a year old)

• 2 months later...

I came across this thread after I ordered my early birthday present (yeah... I can rationalize a purchase pretty darn well). The pen arrived today, so I immediately checked for material and molding issues.The barrel of my new pen has the facets inside, just as others have mentioned, but there are no wavy bubbly defects in the material as shown above. The fit and finish is quite good... no off-center placement of the trim rings or clip. There are a couple of injection molding lines on the lip of the section, but they are very minor and I had to feel around to find them.

A really beautiful pen I hope to use for a long time.