Cross Classic Century Fountain Pen Cleaning

Srednasoft

Hi,

I have got two old Cross classic century gold fountain pens from my father. I'm not sure about the age.

They are marked: 1/20 10KT GOLD FILLED with 14KT M nibs.

They have problems with ink flow, dryness and scraping.

The pens have now been cleaned in water for over 24 hours. No more ink is coming out. But, I have problems removing the nibs for further cleaning and adjustments. Is it possible to remove them at all or are they fixed? They are not moving at all when pulled. I'm trying with a rubber band between my fingers for better grip, but no :-(

Hope you have som good solutions for me :-)

post-117724-0-43347700-1415086490_thumb.jpg

post-117724-0-66613600-1415086923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Srednasoft

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• max dog

• Srednasoft

• asincrono

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had the same challenge couple of times. Suggest soaking in a solution of detergent. Suggest soaking in a solution of ammonia, next. Then when pulling apply a very, very slight twisting action more akin to a rocking motion. Both times the nib and feed came out in a dramatic fashion with flakes of dried ink.

Thnx :-)

The ammonia solution you mention, is that the same as Salmiak or Ammonium chloride?

They are both now soaked in water with a strong soap/detergent (Zalo), mixed with some clear vinager 7%.

If they still are there in the morning, I will try the pulling again :-)

Edited by Srednasoft

I was told that the feed on the original century is not removable.

I would stay with soaking in a 10% ammonia solution.

Beyond that I would clean in an Ultrasonic Cleaner if you have one.

I would try Waterman ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I would also recommend you get something like this.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Bulb_Syringe_2oz_p/gpc-bulbsyringe.htm

It is used to force flush the pen, a video is on the linked page.

I found them in the infant dept of one of the local department stores.

Although Cross ink is made by Pelikan, some of the Cross pens do not flow the dry ink well. This is why I recommend using Waterman ink to start with.

www.SFPenShow.com

Given this pen's reputation for death by "nib wobble", it doesn't seem to me like a good idea to apply any excessive force to the point assembly, including yanking and ultrasonic vibration. They also have a reputation as nice writers -- I hope your cleaning efforts work out.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

***Given this pen's reputation for death by "nib wobble", it doesn't seem to me like a good idea to apply any excessive force to the point assembly,*** including yanking and ultrasonic vibration. They also have a reputation as nice writers --

That there ^^^, what he said.

(Though I'd think the sonicator would be ok. No way would I go yanking on it.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I would indeed advise one of these bulbs, like shown in the above link, but you don't have to order them all the way from the USA. You could get them in Denmark as well, they are sold in any good apothecary or drugstore as earbulbs. Cut the end of to a good size to fit inside the cartridge connector part of the section.

Ammonia is the normal household cleaning stuff (chemical formula NH3). Not Salmiak, which is a salt, as is Ammonium Cloride.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I would indeed advise one of these bulbs, like shown in the above link, but you don't have to order them all the way from the USA. You could get them in Denmark as well, they are sold in any good apothecary or drugstore as earbulbs. Cut the end of to a good size to fit inside the cartridge connector part of the

Took me a while to get the pharmacist to understand what I meant, but when she finally did she informed me that they call it ballongsprøyte in norwegian. :)

Instagram: @fountainpensnorway

OP, why not just try the pens now. With pens, the less disassembly you do the better. Do the least ambitious cleaning and see if it makes it work. Going to uber-ambitious levels like complete disassembly increases the chance of breaking something.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

DON'T FORCE ANYTHING ! ! !

I suspect that the pens were left with ink for years. The dried ink has hardened into

a cement that clogs, binds, and makes unkind statements about us. A few hours or

a few days may not be enough to remedy years of neglect. "Mild & Gentle" is preferred

over "Harsh & Fast".

fpn_1357109297__earbulbs.jpg

I trimmed the tip of the bulb (in small increments) to fit snugly over the section. Once unclogged, I can regularly flush by forcing water through in both directions. Routine cleaning of a Parker 45 takes 60 seconds. Then, forcing

air through the section will dry the pen.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

DON'T FORCE ANYTHING ! ! !

I suspect that the pens were left with ink for years. The dried ink has hardened into

a cement that clogs, binds, and makes unkind statements about us. A few hours or

a few days may not be enough to remedy years of neglect. "Mild & Gentle" is preferred

over "Harsh & Fast".

fpn_1357109297__earbulbs.jpg

I trimmed the tip of the bulb (in small increments) to fit snugly over the section. Once unclogged, I can regularly flush by forcing water through in both directions. Routine cleaning of a Parker 45 takes 60 seconds. Then, forcing

air through the section will dry the pen.

+1. These bulbs work really well to push water through and speed cleaning out old ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 6 months later...

I'm the proud owner of a Cross Century Classic I (10k rolled gold made in Ireland 14k nib) for a couple of days.

Today something weird happened that I think is relevant to this thread.

I uncapped my pen and found a little gap (a couple of millimeters) between the nib and the end of the section. I couldn't resist and pried with my nail as the nib came off. This was the aftermath:

P1030240.JPG

As you can see the nib came off "a la" Lamy. Looks like the use the same system to place and hold the nib on the feeder.

P1030236.JPG

P1030237.JPG

P1030239.JPG

Now I wonder which one was the first to use that system.

Anyway, as you can see, I think that would be easy to slide off the nib for cleaning. Maybe with some scotch tape.

After that just slid back on the nib and everything is back to normal:

P1030241.JPG

As how that gap appeared I have not the slightest idea. I didn't hit the pen, didn't shake it. Looks like the nib just wanted go for a trip.

Hope this can be of any use.

Best regards.

Edited by asincrono

I don't know who was the first, but it has been used by several other manufacturers, including Rotring. And I think the Pelikano pens are also with a similar nib.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 10 months later...

Given this pen's reputation for death by "nib wobble", it doesn't seem to me like a good idea to apply any excessive force to the point assembly, including yanking and ultrasonic vibration. They also have a reputation as nice writers -- I hope your cleaning efforts work out.

Ah.... the dreaded wobbly bits....

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

I have this pen & I would love to find a video on how to take it apart and clean it.

No you do not. The nib is not meant to be removed and once it starts to wobble, that is it, the pen is gone.

Just soak the nib/section and force water through with a bulb syringe.

www.SFPenShow.com