Montblanc Ink Match Help

Uncial

I often wish MB hadn't discontinued the original Blueblack (not Midnight Blue).

I can agree with that and while we are wishing upon a star how about Racing Green as well.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Pravda

• Tas

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Mb 149 that came in the large square box. Inside that box is a bottle of Mb '149' ink that looks like it's blue black. Does anyone know which version of Mb BB this is? Obviously it doesn't have it's own box so I can't tell.

Do you have any dates on the box anywhere?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My BB IG for some reason isn't matching with the scans I see.

Mine has a very steel 'grey' look to it, fade tint of green almost but not quite. Very different from the Midnight.

Hmm... that color doesn't match mine. Here is a scan from 2012 when I purchased it...and the results from a 4 month fade test.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2012/First_Tests/2012-Exp2/slides/2012-07-06-exp2_04.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Cyber6 do you have Midnight Blue? Midnight blue is not the same as blue-black.

Cyber6 do you have Midnight Blue? Midnight blue is not the same as blue-black.

I only have the MontBlanc Iron Gall... bought it a few years ago and was giving a fair lecture on how to practice pen hygiene from the salesperson at the Montblanc Boutique..

Are they both Iron Galls Midnight Blue and Blue-Black?... I will have to dig the box out.

Edit. It looks like I have here the Midnight Blue Iron Gall (Ferrogalic content).. The Blue Black predates this one and comes in the old shoe "round shoe".

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Since I upgraded my iPhone OS it it a PITA to post photos, but my triple comparison is done and even I am amazed. Will post when I get home from my bc appointment for 1st rad trmnt.

Here it is

fpn_1414729840__image.jpg

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

With Mystery Black and Royal Blue mixed 10 parts blue to one part black you end up with quite a black ink with a very tiny hint of blue. Mix 15 parts blue with 1 part black and you get purple - a very obvious purple! It's alright, and you could probably use it as an everyday because in a certain light it has a blue hint.

Tried it out last night. Will see later if I can get any pics up of it if anyone is interested.

Hi,

I'm always interested in seeing the results of a blend.

A few quick things:

Most ink that says 'Black' on the label isn't Black - it is a blend of dyes that appear Black when at low Value (very dark). I suggest putting a drop of Black onto a wet swab, then running it across the sheet to determine the underlying hue. (Or add a drop of ink to a white saucer full of water.)

Black is very dominant, which greatly skews the mixing ratios. Perhaps I could best express this in that you're darkening Royal Blue, not tinting Black.
As such, I suggest diluting the Black ink to about 2:1 (66%) to start - or whatever ratio is necessary to get a dark Grey. So you are working with three ingredients:

X*(2*Blk + 1*Water) + Y*RBl = Z*??

That takes a bit of triangulation rather than picking a spot along a straight line between Black and Royal Blue.

To avoid risk exposure to contamination of the main volume of ink by repeated dipping / stray ink, I transfer a few ml of ink from their bottles to wee vials / jars.

Consider starting with swabs first, then switching to a dip pen when/if you get close. Please do not be tempted to use an FP for dip sampling - I found that is a shortcut to nowhere.

In addition to keeping notes, to get the samples in the best relative position for comparison and ensure all samples are run, I sketch a template on the sheet before I start.

I suggest testing the safety of the recipe before trying it in an FP.

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

With Mystery Black and Royal Blue mixed 10 parts blue to one part black you end up with quite a black ink with a very tiny hint of blue. Mix 15 parts blue with 1 part black and you get purple - a very obvious purple! It's alright, and you could probably use it as an everyday because in a certain light it has a blue hint.

Tried it out last night. Will see later if I can get any pics up of it if anyone is interested.

Yes please . . .

I wonder if there is a thread on a board for people who are other types of artists, watercolor/acrylic/oil paints, etc. who are also discussing how to find a replacement for a discontinued but much loved shade of yellow ochre or phthalo blue.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I think it should go in inky recipes... though maybe not.

Check this:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/MBBlue-Blacks2014.jpg?t=1414880137

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you, Mike.

Check this:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/MBBlue-Blacks2014.jpg?t=1414880137

Mike

Amazing; someone should sticky this!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• 5 weeks later...

Um......I guess I need to apologise. I forgot about this and when I was uploading some pics to my computer I found this picture and remembered. This is the mix that produces a peculiar purple.post-110181-0-87819000-1417434122_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's early days yet, as I'm always wary of mixing stuff with ESSRI but - 3 parts ESSRI, 1 part Monteverde Black, 1 part Sailor Blue Black . . . looks the absolute spit of my Mont Blanc Midnight Blue original formula.

I'll post a swatch tomorrow when there's daylight.

Ooo . . . http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/bliss-smiley.gif?1292867557