Lamy 2000 Or Franklin Christoph?

kingajramon

I have only recently entered the hobby, and I own a few pens such as a Faber-Castell Ambition, a TWSBI Diamond 580, as well as a few staples in the hobby like a Lamy Safari and a Pilot Metropolitan. Now I am looking for a nicer, more luxurious pen less than $200.

I was highly considering a Lamy 2000 because of it's reputation and its gold nib. On the other hand I am just CAPTIVATED by the Smoke and Ice finish of the Franklin-Christoph Model 02 Intrinsic--as well as its ability to be converted to an eyedropper. I would greatly appreciate any insight from you all. I feel like both are solid choices, I would just like to get your input, ESPECIALLY if anyone owns both of these pens. Which do you prefer to write with? Which feels more comfortable in your opinion?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingajramon

• BT-7274

• Hallel

• FedericoMedina

Top Posters In This Topic

4 months ago, when it was in a similar position to you, I chose the Franklin Christoph. ( the model 66 captivated me). I didn't regret it. There'll be time enough for Lamys later.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

4 months ago, when it was in a similar position to you, I chose the Franklin Christoph. ( the model 66 captivated me). I didn't regret it. There'll be time enough for Lamys later.

Thank you!

I too have been attracted by Franklin Christophs offerings, but Lamy and Sailor have alwayse won me over.

I would go for the Lamy a design proven to work and do its job discretely and stylishly.

Not saying that FC would not accomplish the same. In fact I am sure they do with flying colors. Just my preference I suppose.

I own both and both are excellent. If i could only have one, I would go with the F-C Intrinsic based on looks and lighter weight. If capacity is an issue, the Lamy has the edge. You are in a win-win situation, so follow your heart.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

I do not have any experience with Franklin-Christoph pens but several models do interest me. I do own several Lamy pens including two 2000’s the first has a fine nib that my girlfriend has sort-of laid claim too. My second 2000 has a broad nib and since I purchased is a pen that I normally keep in my daily rotation. Personally, I think that the Lamy 2000 is one of the better values in the new pen market. After all, where else are you going to get a piston-filling pen with a platinum-coated 14K gold nib for about $160 or less new that has a good ink capacity and finish that does not easily show wear?

Edited by CaptainGroovy

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

Benjamin Franklin

I have both. My Lamy 2000 came with a defective nib. From what I read here, this happens a fair amount of the time. To their credit, Goulet has agreed to an exchange.

My Franklin-Christoph 02 Smoke and Ice has been a complete delight. I have used it every day since it arrived. It is one of my top two. I have used it both with the converter and as an eyedropper. The nib is tops.

I say get the 02. There will always be a Lamy 2k when you have to get one and see what all the fuss is about. Frankly, I was disappointed. Maybe that will change when the replacement arrives.

I've had a couple of Lamy 2000's. At the risk of being hung and quartered, I always found them sort of ho-hum. The ink window is useless. I find them to be sort of slippery as the body tapers down to the nib with nothing to place your fingers against. And the nibs on all but the last one were just "meh". The last one was tuned by Shawn Newton of Newton Pens and was ground to a Japanese Fine. It was a nice writer and worked well, but ended up being too fine for me so I sold it.

The 02 I had was a great pen, but I had an opportunity to buy something else that I REALLY wanted so I sold my 02. But, as soon as funds allow, I'll be adding another to my collection. I have the Model 40 Pocket in Fire and Ice and I just NEED to have that 02 back to compliment it. :D

Go with the FC. You can get a Lamy later. They pop up on the classifieds here about once a week.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

I've tried a sample of precisely one Lamy 2000, fine nib, and it's one of my best, most practical pens, a pleasure to write with. Got it at a bargain price, too. But yes, I've heard that others have had problems with nib alignment out of the box. Couldn't say how common this is.

The appearance of that Franklin Christoph doesn't appeal to me, but that's a matter of taste. If you like it better than the Lamy, then go for it. If you did have any fixable issues with the pen, then their customer service has a good reputation. It would probably be easier than dealing with Lamy customer service, although as someone noted above, a good Lamy retailer might just exchange it for you.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

After all, where else are you going to get a piston-filling pen with a platinum-coated 14K gold nib for about $160 or less new that has a good ink capacity and finish that does not easily show wear?

You can get a Pilot Heritage 92 from Engeika.com for around $140.00 shipped. It's a great pen that will give a Lamy 2000 a run for its money.

My hands are large (9.5 glove size). The Lamy 2000 I had was very uncomfortable to use, but the Intrinsic is a pleasant writer with wonderful aesthetics.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Frankly, either would be a good choice, and you may well end up getting both anyway over time. Still, since you asked...

I have a Lamy 2000 and really like it. As others have said, it's an excellent choice, and in my opinion has one of the best cost-benefit ratios in the FP world - rightly a classic. I recently showed a small stable of FPs to a friend (I'm trying to infect him get him interested) and the Lamy2000 is the one he liked best, which wasn't a surprise.

I also have a Franklin Christoph pen, albeit not the 02 (mine is the 33, Abditus, with a steel Masuyama nib), and it is wonderful in every respect. I wouldn't like to be without either pen.

Ultimately, the one you go for (first) depends on your personal preference. Personally, I'd go for the Lamy 2000, but if you're captivated by the Frankiln Christoph (and only considering the L2K because of its reputation), then it seems that the FC will make you happier.

Having said all that, beware of the "nice from far, but far from nice" phenomenon. That is, you might love the looks of both pens yet find out that you hate them when you get your hands on them.

So the most useful comment I can make is, try to find a way to hold a pen in your hands before pulling the trigger on it - particularly if it's an expensive pen from a brand that you don't have experience with.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, so long as you buy the 2000 from a good retailer like the Goulets. Mine really doesn't see enough use to the point I almost can't justify owning it, but it never has any issues, even if left sitting for weeks. You really can't ask for more out of a pen like that - leave it sitting for weeks, and it just starts right back up, no loss of ink, no hard start, nothing.

Calculating.