Pelikan Violet

yogalarva

fpn_1414409519__tumblr_inline_ne3on9pc71

Like the Pelikan Brown that I reviewed long ago, this ink was a solid performer. Good flow, no troubles with bleeding, skipping, or feathering. Not too saturated so that we can see some decent shading, but not so unsaturated that it becomes pale and hard to read.

fpn_1414409552__tumblr_inline_ne3or0z4wi

However, I am not a fan of this ink. For me it’s a purely personal thing in regards to the color - this shade has too much red for my liking. I like blue-violets vs. pure violets.

fpn_1414409578__tumblr_inline_ne3ostpx5i

Like the Pelikan Brown, there was not enough water resistance that I would trust important writing to this ink. Though I didn’t expect much since none of the Pelikan inks I have encountered to date have shown this characteristic.

fpn_1414409611__tumblr_inline_ne3ov8j34i

(Wow, I need to work on gluing my papers on straight!) Like I said before, this ink is a solid performer and handled a variety of papers well. However, it seemed to react in a funny way to my highlighter. At first it looked fine, but then it did that weird thing that you see above. I’m not sure if it’s because of the water resistance issue or a chemical in the highlighter I’m using (I use the Sharpie highlighter with “Smear Guard” for all my reviews), but it is worth noting.

Overall, I think this is a well-behaved ink that is available for a pretty low price, ~$12/62 mL. Like I said, I don’t personally care for the color, but if you like the color and don’t need water-resistance, I’m not sure you could do much better for the price save perhaps a Noodler’s ink. For me, I have found my new favorite purple that you will see in my next purple ink review. :-)

This ink was purchased with my own money and I am not being compensated for this review in any way. All opinions above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

Full page scan of the review:

fpn_1414409657__tumblr_inline_ne3p4rxrgn

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlanO

• lapis

• arcadeflow

• Joe in Seattle

I concur that this ink has too much red. Indeed it is almost pink! Maybe it would look better by mixing it with some blue ink.

As far as water resistance is concerned you should try Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black and Blue-Black. Although these are not "bulletproof" they do exhibit very good water resistance.

Thanks for the review very nice work you did here :)

I have reviewed this ink too.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266286-pelikan-4001-violett-violet/

Cool stuff. I thought it was a bit to femine for me but the more I see it the more love it..

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

I'm with you on the color - it's nice enough - just nothing special to me.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

I had hoped for so much more. Thank you for the great review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Does anyone know if it stains Pelikan ink windows? I'm not over the moon about it either. I'm trying to use it up.

• 9 months later...

I am nearing the end of a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Violet, an ink I have used consistently for more than twenty years. The bottle I have is probably two years old by now, and the color remains close to the representation on the label, neither bluish nor reddish but the kind of shade one might choose to teach a toddler what color purple is.

Until reading these reviews, I would have replaced the bottle with a new one without a second thought, but the pinkish look would rule out the ink for me.

When did the formula change?

I was wondering the same thing. I have used this ink before (cartridges) and never had the feeling it was so pink. To me it looked like a true purple, just like is shown on the box.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bottle of it, ain't use to regurarly, but I like it, still no match for my favorite ink, but its a nice one. Although I somehow got bit darker from it, not as pinkish as in this review.

• 5 months later...

AFAIK the ink has not changed. The boxes and bottle's labels have, but only a year ago and not as far back as the date of this review. Apart from that, my 2012 bottle was much less pink.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

AFAIK the ink has not changed. The boxes and bottle's labels have, but only a year ago and not as far back as the date of this review. Apart from that, my 2012 bottle was much less pink.

Mike

If you think your ink was less pink... What do you mean? The problem is with the scanning?

I love Pelikan Violet, but I do find I need a nib that can put a lot of ink on the paper for it to really look good - I mostly use it with a TWSBI 1.1mm stub.

Alan

Edited by AlanO

I like it, but prefer Waterman Purple as my choice for this color. Never had any problem with it.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I like it, but prefer Waterman Purple as my choice for this color. Never had any problem with it.

Ah, I have Waterman Purple on my want list, as it seems to be a very nice deeper and bluer purple - you haven't seen a direct comparison of the two anywhere, have you?

Alan

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/3%20Purples.jpg

Couple of notes:

1. Okay, okay, out of focus and/or pretty unsharp, lt's say due to the paper which is 1917, the pen which is an Herbin glass dipper, and my very hasty hand.

2. But you can see a difference or two. The Pelikan is IMO a bit pinky, if not the pinkiest of the three. Still, again to my eyes (and monitor etc) not as pink as that seen above in Post #1. Also, there is in fact less feathering than that seen above for Waterman's, it's just that Waterman's is much wetter than Pelikan's. (No big surprise to anybody.)

3. Get the Waterman Purple. I'd say that it fits your bill. It's not expensive and should be available practically everywhere.

Ahoi!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Couple of notes:

1. Okay, okay, out of focus and/or pretty unsharp, lt's say due to the paper which is 1917, the pen which is an Herbin glass dipper, and my very hasty hand.

2. But you can see a difference or two. The Pelikan is IMO a bit pinky, if not the pinkiest of the three. Still, again to my eyes (and monitor etc) not as pink as that seen above in Post #1. Also, there is in fact less feathering than that seen above for Waterman's, it's just that Waterman's is much wetter than Pelikan's. (No big surprise to anybody.)

3. Get the Waterman Purple. I'd say that it fits your bill. It's not expensive and should be available practically everywhere.

Ahoi!

That's perfect, thanks. It confirms what I thought, that the Waterman is a bit bluer and a bit wetter than the Pelikan - it will be on my next order :)

Alan