Yu-Yake (Sunset) - Crv - Group Review - 2014-11

Lou Erickson

http://www.rdwarf.com/users/wwonko/images/fpn/iro/02-Yu-yake-Sunset-header.jpg

Yu-yake (Sunset) - CRV - Group Review - 2014-11

The Iroshizuku Group Review color for November 2014 is Yu-yake ”Sunset”. It is a rich orange, which fades between light and somewhat dark, depending on how much ink the nib is laying down.

Please post your reviews and scans of the ink in this thread.
If you want to a partner for a Co-Razy View (CRV) of this ink, please write it up and mail it to Lou Erickson. (PM for the address.) If you want to do a Co-Razy View on your own, please do! Other reviews are welcome, too.
You can look at the full description of the Iroshizuku Group Review to see how this should work and what we’re doing.
http://www.rdwarf.com/users/wwonko/images/fpn/iro/02-Yu-yake-product.jpg
Thanks to Rachel Goulet, who gave permission to me to use their beautiful product photo and swab.
More thanks to Amberlea who is always such an inky enabler.
Please PM me with any questions. I look forward to seeing everyone's results! :)

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• visvamitra

• Lou Erickson

Is anyone willing to send me a converter-full? I forgot to order this when I laid in my Goulet samples. -_-

I'll have one in the mail to you tomorrow.

So, the other day, my friend Steve gave me some presents (whoo hoo) and among these was a mysterious green ink and orange ink. Given that he loves Pilot Iroshizuku inks... I thought it was Yu-Yake. Now, he's suggesting Edelstein Mandarin. I think I need to compare! Believe it or not, neither of those oranges are in my collection.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have a Goulet sample of Edelstein Mandarin, so I'll do a comparison of it as well...and probably Diamine Autumn Oak.

I have a Goulet sample of Edelstein Mandarin, so I'll do a comparison of it as well...and probably Diamine Autumn Oak.

Thank you!!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here's a brief comparison of Iroshizuku Yu-yake, Diamine Autumn Oak and Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin. The inks didn't scan well on my scanner, so I had to adjust the brightness and contrast a little, but hopefully it will give you an idea of the relationship between the three.

post-107015-0-84613400-1415071714_thumb.jpg

Nice comparison.

This is an interesting ink: pinkish-tannish-orangeish. Like faded creamsicle. Sort of.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/9014/1541/0789/Yu-Yake_Full_Review002-800p.jpg

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, apologies to Lou to whom I should have sent this - as ever, work and life get in the way of life's pleasures...

http://i.imgur.com/G4xwc6Z.jpg

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Here are some more thoughts, now that I have the ink in both the Edison EF nib and in a juicy Neponset.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/0602353c99442143555d6d1c158dcf75/tumblr_nf9y1j9vJl1qgziczo1_1280.jpg

I should add that, thanks to the October group CRV, I ordered a bottle of Tsuki-Yo on the weekend. It's a lovely colour and not something I expected to fall in love with at all! Thanks, Lou, for being a wonderful enabler.

Sighhhh....my nibs all seem so wimpy by comparison....

Anyway, I got two Co-Razys in the mail.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/7714/1644/3404/Neon_Coral_in_Safari_001-1024p.jpg

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/4414/1644/3407/Yu-Yake_in_Nemosine_001-1024p.jpg

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Interesting comparisons all - thank you!

That paper is amazing!! I just added the litigation rule to my Amazon wish list... doesn't it SCREAM CRV!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71qAnbDqXoL._SL1500_.jpg

Tom: Don't worry about sending it along if you don't have time. Writing a review on your own is still wonderful and appreciated!

Everyone: What great samples! It really is interesting to have a bunch of different pens and writing styles together at once.

I am behind on getting December's thread up, and way behind on finishing off my contribution for October, much less November... soon. This weekend.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

For over a month now I've been the lucky borrower of two of Amber's TWSBI loaner pens: a translucent sapphire-blue 540 fitted with a Pendleton Angel ground on a TWSBI "M", and a translucent amber 540 fitted with an Art's Tomahawk ground on a TWSBI "B".

Because Amber has allowed me to keep these pens for an extended period of time I was able to do a sort of CoRazy view of two different inks in the amber 540 fitted with Art's Tomahawk. On the left, Noodler's Apache Sunset and on the right, Pilot iroshizuku yu-yake:

fpn_1416862981__twsbi_540_tomahawk_apach

I tried an ink wash drawing with both inks: "The Mittens" of Monument Valley with Apache Sunset (yes, I do know they're actually on Navajo Tribal land but, well, artistic license and all that) and Mt. Fuji with yu-yake. I used the underside of the nib so that the line was narrow and when the ink was dry, I used a #4 watercolor brush to move the color around. When the wash was dry, I repeated the process where necessary. It was fun but dotPad paper isn't really a good paper for my unpracticed and amateurish ink wash technique -- I need something much more forgiving. ;)

-- Constance