NickRS

Hi guys,

I'm really not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'll give it a try.

I am in a need of some extra money, so I have to sell some of the pens I've been collecting.

I'm interested is there somebody in the Bay Area that would give me a fair amount of money, because I live in San Jose, California currently.

My collection are mostly Montblanc pens with additions of other brands. It consists of both vintage and modern, used and unused fountain pens, pencils, ballpoints and rollerballs.

What would you guys suggest?

I'm also open to trades, but it has to be something that I'd consider keeping, although currently I primarily need money.

Thanks,

Nick

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• JLS1

• NickRS

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

You can definitely sell your pens on the classifieds here, but I've never tried it yet. Either that or eBay, wish the best of luck to you!

Show up at a Pen Posse. Counsel and trades happen regularly!

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Peyton street pens is in Santa Cruz. The classifieds section is also great. I am in Santa Cruz would love to see what you have available via the classifieds.

Depending on the size/composition of your collection, I'd go with FPN Classifieds, eBay and then other Pen boards in that order. I'd start with FPN because it's a trusted marketplace and the likelihood of someone knowledgeable being interested in your pens is pretty high.

If you don't sell some pens on FPN, then I'd move them to eBay mainly because eBay:

- has a system in place to handle orders/shipping/disputes/etc.

- has a reasonable payments system in place (PayPal)

- is where bidding for some vintage MB pens can go a little wacky (sometimes to your benefit), especially if you have a good starting price & strategy.

HTH!

Ebay is always a possibility, local pen club meetings are a great way to trade/sell pens, the classifieds here at FPN will be open to you to use when you are a Gold member, which looks like you are only 1 post away from being a Gold member. If you use the classifieds make sure you use actual pictures of the pens you are selling and follow the classifieds rules.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

You have to hit 30 posts before you can put a Classified up here. They seem to be pretty good, but unless you have something very desirable and you're willing to put it up at a rock bottom price, it may sit for a long time. Pencils, ballpoints, and rollerballs may turn out to be nearly impossible to get a fair price on through FPN.

eBay has its own issues, since if you haven't sold through them before, you may have to wait a long time before you can access your money. On the plus side, if you're selling Montblancs, you have a decent chance of getting much more money for them than you would readily get here (more than enough to cover the fees).

Ultimately, it is impossible to say what the best course of action is without knowing exactly what you have to sell. An unopened Hemingway FP is going to lead to a very different conversation than a 24 with a bent nib would.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I might go to the pen show.

Also I forgot to ask, I need parts for some of my pens, is there a way I can get them from someone, without breaking the bank, also I need nib straightening for certain pens, and even maybe iridium rettiping? Do you know how much those repairs cost?

For example, I need a 146( newer one) clip with serial number, a vintage 146 body...

Your should just sell them as they are otherwise you are going to be spending a fair amount of money to fix them up with no guarantee that you will make that much extra on them to recover your outlay

Your should just sell them as they are otherwise you are going to be spending a fair amount of money to fix them up with no guarantee that you will make that much extra on them to recover your outlay

+1 for the above advice...I'd only invest the money in pens you know you're going to keep, IMHO.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I might go to the pen show.

Also I forgot to ask, I need parts for some of my pens, is there a way I can get them from someone, without breaking the bank, also I need nib straightening for certain pens, and even maybe iridium rettiping? Do you know how much those repairs cost?

For example, I need a 146( newer one) clip with serial number, a vintage 146 body...

Bring them to the Pan Pacific Pen Club meeting in Pacifica today (10-25)

Bet I know someone that can fix your pens.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.