Fb Buying Guide - Which Fp Do I Buy?

panna

Hello everyone,

I've just got serious about fountain pens and after buying a couple (a Gama and a Jinhao) and reading a little bit, I've discovered I like the following in an ink pen:

- a fine nib which has a little bit of cushion, since my handwriting is small

- slightly wet flow, say 2-3 seconds

- a narrow gripping section, since I have small, girly hands :( (although the barrel could taper out and become larger)

- well-balanced without posting

- preferably ED or piston-filled

Now I guess it all comes down to my budget. :D And that's the real challenge. I'm a student, and I cannot go beyond 11 dollars (around 800 rupees). Am I being delusional or is there any hope?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has ideas on where I could source good-quality journals - again, not above 11 dollars - in India?

"When in doubt, write."

-- Bangalore, India

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• panna

• Sandy1

• Anirban4u

• soum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems you really only have three choices.

A, B, and the usual Red-Band 51.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hi,

Off the cuff I'll suggest the Reform 1745: Those I used typically had a somewhat narrow nib, certainly less than a Western Medium. The two-tone steel nib is firm under a brisk light hand, but does give some line-width variation under pressure, though being a steel nib, it does not have the enduring snap-back of a gold flexi nib, so I foulnd it doesn't flex so well unless I slowed my pace. Girth is slender, and mass is low. Piston fill. Nib assembly unscews, so clean-up is a breeze, as is lubing the piston the a whisper of pure silicone grease. Black+Green colour scheme and 'golden' furniture. Online prices vary quite a bit, so a bit of shopping around won't be a waste of time. Even though the pen was discontinued some years (decades?) ago, NOS examples can still be found, which seem to be ready to write after the routine welcoming clean-up.

Below we have a sample of down-stroke nib widths from pens charged with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts on 24lb laser copy.print paper, with the Reform 1745 showing-off a bit of flex as line 'C'. The distance between feint vertical pencil lines is 25mm.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2054%20Massachusetts%20N54M/INK211_zpsba49fd56.jpg

A non-Flighter Parker 45 might be considered, but the nibs are quite firm and it is a c/c filler.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

A Dollar 717i might fit your bill. They are cheap, Piston-fill, and the nibs appear to be medium-fine and wet with a touch of flex (not quite as much as the Reform 1745). The Reform 1745 is a good pen, but their QC was pretty bad. Those things are hit-and-miss for stock nib performance. Most of them will need some nib adjustment before they perform correctly.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

I would suggest you get in touch with FPN member hari317 who is a resident expert on pens made in India and Southeast Asia.. Also take a look at Fountain Pen Revolution as they have a wide array of pens which could meet your needs. I personally could recommend the Camlin 47 piston filler which for the price is a great pen. Good luck.

and BTW :W2FPN:

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

@ Sandy, thank you for the detailed overview. There are a couple of terms you used that I'm going to have to look up! :) Where do you comb through for good deals on pens with fluctuating prices?

@ lmarine, what a coincidence! I was just trying to search for pens made in Pakistan. I'm going to try see if there's a shop in my country which sells their pens before going online. It goes against my bargaining-soul to pay for shipping for a pen manufactured in a neighbouring country. :D I've been reading good things about the 717i here.

@ Algester, yeah, ASA is great for me! I bought my Gama and Jinhao at Mr Subramaniam's home. He was wonderfully informal and knowledgeable, just what I'd been hoping for. He's recommended the Baoer 388 and the Rotring Espirit to me. When I go to Madras (Chennai) this December, I'm picking them from him. :)

@ MKeith, yes, I started out on FPN reading Hari's posts. He's very knowledgeable and I'm planning on writing to him soon. Thanks.

"When in doubt, write."

-- Bangalore, India

I am not sure what the cost of Pilot 78G would be with shipping / it's street price but with ED conversion it would match most of your criteria. It is not that wet out of the box but can be adjusted. Also, FPN member Hari has written a few articles about nice looking NOS pilot pens.

Non notisi signi.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I certainly agree with trying to source your pen from a local Vendor; and doing so in person gives one the opportunity to hold the pen to check ergonomics and determine if the nib is a bit soft; and to engage the social-financial practice of bargaining. (I love to bargain!)

I also suggest contacting Member hari317, who is very experienced and knowledgeable, and is in touch with sources of pens that are not yet readily available in the global market.

As for finding a low cost Reform 1745, please take a look at the German eB@y site. e.g. Item 221578450066

Whilst browsing on your behalf, I stumbled upon this little darling, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370949160951?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D370949160951%26_rdc%3D1, so I may be in need of an intervention.

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hello everyone,

I've just got serious about fountain pens and after buying a couple (a Gama and a Jinhao) and reading a little bit, I've discovered I like the following in an ink pen:

- a fine nib which has a little bit of cushion, since my handwriting is small

- slightly wet flow, say 2-3 seconds

- a narrow gripping section, since I have small, girly hands :( (although the barrel could taper out and become larger)

- well-balanced without posting

- preferably ED or piston-filled

Now I guess it all comes down to my budget. :D And that's the real challenge. I'm a student, and I cannot go beyond 11 dollars (around 800 rupees). Am I being delusional or is there any hope?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has ideas on where I could source good-quality journals - again, not above 11 dollars - in India?

Your rules, your way :)

Here's a few well within your budget.

1.Oliver Exam; piston filler ->ASA (say hi to Mr Subramaniam when you see him ;) )

2.Ranga pens model 2,2A,3 -> mpkandan on FPN

3.Plenty of Wality/Serwex/Camlin pens-> posts on FPN,Hari317/sanyalsoumitra

4. Sheaffer Nononsense -> try groupon ~400-500 INR

6. Pelikan pelikano/Grandprix/Future (hard to get a fine nib though) -> check in a landmark store for nice deals,apart from flipkart ~600/700 INR

7. Parker Frontier (Luxor :( )-> buy from flipkart, keep replacing until you get the smooth nib ~400 INR

8. Plethora of chinese pens from ebay India.

9. Schneider Base (not glam/joy or others), best school pen ever. ~700 INR

10. Sheaffer VFM (Cartidge only) ~900 INR

11. Pilot Metropilotan/MR (generally less than 1K INR)

Not sure about journals, I use camlin/classmate notebooks whenever I need to jot down few lines. ;)

Cheers and Welcome.

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

Asa has NOS Pilots in fine which go at 750. They're pretty much as good as Metropolitans which are amazing and very fine and exceptionally smooth. Why don't you ask him for those?

And I'm surprised he lets you visit him, always tells me its a mail order business only :(

@ Anirban, wow! I'm having a month off in December from university. I'm going to go through your list over at local shops back home in Bombay. Thank you! And yes, I took advantage of that lovely groupon offer. I should have my very first Sheaffer by the end of this week. : )

@ rcazador, those are a little beyond my budget, I can afford them perhaps once in a few months. Rest assured, I'm saving up. Well, to be honest, I didn't really inform him before coming to his place. I telephoned him and said, "so where exactly in Mylapore do you stay? I'm on my way." :D He was very, very gracious for a gatecrasher. He will definitely help you in sourcing your Pilots.

"When in doubt, write."

-- Bangalore, India

@inkyvini, I couldn't believe I missed to mention that Pilot NSF mentioned by @rcasador.
It's definitely the best value for money in ur budget. :)

And since you already did "THAT" to L.Subramaniam, try the same with hari317!! I bet it'll be like entering the cave of Ali-baba. :D

@mods & Hari317, sorry, couldn't resisit myself...

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

post-99337-0-78426800-1413921331_thumb.jpg

Thanks Hari, for the suggestion. Although my eyes were peeled for Meenakshi Stores, it eventually just popped in front of me from nowhere. For those interested, get to Mysore Bank and walk down Avenue Road. And then just keep walking straight down for about 500 metres. The store should be on your right. It's quite tiny, so beware.

post-99337-0-06636200-1413921505_thumb.jpg

I encountered a Baoer here that I couldn't identify. It was strange, because it had a little logo on its cap -

post-99337-0-94919800-1413921540_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the wrong direction of the photo. The owner told me that the exporter, Seagram, had put it there. I'm not sure why they would do that.

On to the pens I bought.

post-99337-0-62287200-1413921615_thumb.jpg

Thank you, MKeith! I absolutely love my Camlin 47. I grew up on quite awful low-end Camlins when I was in school so I would have definitely not picked it up were it not for your recommendation.

The Elegante, well, that's more of a guilty purchase fuelled by the good reviews it got here and its irresistibly student-friendly price of Rs. 200 ($3.26). (the note underneath the pens is for a friend who asked me what I was so excited about :D)

I also bought some inks. Nothing too dramatic, but both are special for me in different ways.

post-99337-0-12334500-1413921898_thumb.jpg

post-99337-0-95713300-1413921936_thumb.jpg

Well, that's about it for now. I'm currently debating buying different kinds of inks (I'm quite seduced by the Pelikan one), and impatiently waiting for my Sheaffer NN to arrive. Thank you so much for the recommendations. I'm going to go through each of them during my winter break in December.

"When in doubt, write."

-- Bangalore, India