Sheaffer Td, Identification And Few Questions

Anirban4u

Hi All,

Some of you might have seen my recent post about my vacation, and how I acquired a touchdown for myself.

Here's the pen.

post-108404-0-29855500-1413555073_thumb.jpg

I was cleaning it recently and noticed that the step from grip & barrel give out little amount of ink.

A quick FPN search told me that it happens when one tries to fill the pen on the upstroke rather than the downstroke & if the pen has a faulty sac.

So I filled in the pen carefully with water (with couple of black ink drops), wrapped a paper towel snugly at the step section and set it nib down, cap less (no nibs were harmed!).

That was yesterday afternoon, and 24 hours later, the paper towel is neither wet, nor black.

So I flushed the pen thoroughly again, but I noticed something this time.

The pen seems to take very less amount of ink, 7-8 drops max. (yes, I did count ten while refilling!)

So my questions are:

1. What is this model ?

2. The nib looks like a conical triumph nib (am I correct) ?

3. What is the usual ink capacity ?

But wait, I have more..

Upon seeing this pen, my dad talked about his first sheaffer from 1950. He couldn't remember the model, but questioning him a little bit (ok, a LOT!!), I came to know the following.

a. It was a non white dot, thus probably a school pen.

b. Green in color, must have been made in the early half of 1950.

c. It was a touchdown.

d. Not sure, but it might had a 18k Nib.

Any ideas for this mystery pen ? I intend to search this, and if my puny salary allows me, would like to gift it to my dad,

Anything that can point me to the right direction would be very helpful.

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anirban4u

• Pincel

• jar

• Ernst Bitterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could be mistaken, but it looks like a Sheaffer Valiant to me. Given it's age, it probably needs a new sac and o rings. Even if the sac is good, if the o rings are in bad shape you won't get enough of a vacuum to get a complete fill. As for your dad's pen, it could be a lot of things, possibly a Craftsman.

Jeff

Thanks Hari317, it is a Imperial III De Luxe indeed.

@Jeff, Thanks, sent my dad the links for Sheaffer Craftsman :) I'd say that it does fit the description.

@Jeff, Thanks, sent my dad the links for Sheaffer Craftsman :) I'd say that it does fit the description.

Check the Craftsman and Cadet Tip dip pens as likely ones your Dad had. The Cadet would have had the plastic cap and the Craftsman a bright chrome cap.

Edited by jar

My Website

When your pen first came out in 1960, it had no White Dot and it was called Sheaffer Target. Late 1961 your pen was reintroduced, this time with the White Dot, as the Sheaffer Imperial III. The nib is palladium silver with a gold plated mask.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

@jar, thanks. Forwarded link to dad.

@pincel, thanks for that piece of history. Learning sumthing new everyday. :)

When your pen first came out in 1960, it had no White Dot and it was called Sheaffer Target. Late 1961 your pen was reintroduced, this time with the White Dot, as the Sheaffer Imperial III. The nib is palladium silver with a gold plated mask.

The Imperial III did not have a White Dot, as far as my information and experience indicates. Do you have some documentation for this?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

The Imperial III did not have a White Dot, as far as my information and experience indicates. Do you have some documentation for this?

--Daniel

IIRC there was an Imperial III Deluxe that did have a While Dot.

My Website

Check the Craftsman and Cadet Tip dip pens as likely ones your Dad had. The Cadet would have had the plastic cap and the Craftsman a bright chrome cap.

A Craftsman made between 1950 and 1952 would have a plastic cap with a thin band at the very bottom, wouldn't it? Like the one shown here.

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferTMTouchdown.htm

Jeff

--Daniel

You're right Daniel, the Imperial III is a non-White Dot pen, the OP's picture of his pen shows a White Dot. That must be the White Dot model Imperial III Deluxe as noted by Jar, Now, the question: Is the nib of the Deluxe gold or palladium silver with gold mask? Sheaffer reserved the White Dot for its top models, and only 14 karat gold nib pens.

I'm curious now. :)

You're right Daniel, the Imperial III is a non-White Dot pen, the OP's picture of his pen shows a White Dot. That must be the White Dot model Imperial III Deluxe as noted by Jar, Now, the question: Is the nib of the Deluxe gold or palladium silver with gold mask? Sheaffer reserved the White Dot for its top models, and only 14 karat gold nib pens.

The nib on the III Deluxe has gold mask. Actually Sheaffer didn't reserve the WD for gold nib pens as the Snorkel Statesman ,Snorkel Clipper, Imperial II Deluxe and PFM II show. The use of the WD was starting to filter down the line by this stage.

it's SHEAFFER'S.

it's SHEAFFER'S.

That suggests the possibility of a cap swap at some point; with that on the pen itself, it shouldn't have the dot on the clip, but look like the one below. However, it only suggests, since Sheaffer got up to all sorts of shenanigans that make absolute statements about the features of their pens somewhat difficult. Even if it was a swap, it may have been a replacement sent by Sheaffer for one damaged in use, the claim coming after the older sort of cap was out of production.

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Sheaffer-0188.jpg

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

No doubt it's an Imperial IV cap on a III body.

Imperial III cap has a 1/4" cap band; Imperial IV has 3/8". Will Anirban4u take a ruler please..