Kaweco Al-Sport

yogalarva

Given that the photo set of unboxing this pen is one of my more popular blog posts, I figured I wouldn’t wait too long to write the review.

fpn_1413545992__tumblr_inline_ndkd6lkfhr

Physical presence

The Al-Sport is a metal version of the popular Kaweco Sport, which is a plastic pen. Both are designed to be ultraportable pocket pens that are short when capped but full size when posted.

fpn_1413546035__tumblr_inline_ndkdcxm0k6

I’m not going to bore you with measurements, since you can easily find those all over on the internet. (If you want to see how this pen sizes up against other ones you are familiar with, check out this nifty tool from Goulet Pens.) What I will say is that I think this is one of the most comfortable pens I have ever owned. Having never handled a plastic one I can’t really compare the two, but I think that I would find the plastic version too light. With the metal body this pen is the perfect fusion of “feels like quality” and “comfortable to use.” The section, while short, fits my grip very well and the threads are not sharp at all. When posted the pen is an ideal length for me and I can use it briefly unposted but it’s not comfortable. Of course, comfort-level will be different for everyone based on your hand size and how you hold your pen, so definitely don’t take my word for it.

fpn_1413546067__tumblr_inline_ndkdnuoyys

I also bought the “Sport N clip” to go with my pen, since it does not come with a clip of any kind. To be fair, you don’t need a clip to prevent your pen from rolling off a desk since the octagonal shape of the cap already has that covered. And the clip is not really very good for actually clipping the pen onto things either. While tight and springy, it’s a bit too tight to pull it out enough to clip over anything but a few sheet of paper without dislodging the clip from the barrel. So, I suppose I have it there purely because I can’t stand the aesthetics of a clipless pen.

fpn_1413546097__tumblr_inline_ndkdsjtlej

I was interested to see how the finish would hold up on this pen, especially since they sell “stonewashed” versions that have a distressed finish for those who aren’t patient enough to have it happen naturally. As you can see above, there is a bit of finish worn away near the threads, which I think is inevitable since you will have metal-on-metal contact there no matter what you do.

fpn_1413546127__tumblr_inline_ndkdvcrh4m

I also have a small scuff on the cap where the end of the clip dug in as I was taking it off for this very picture. Otherwise I don’t see any wear from the clip but the more you take it on and off the more you risk damaging the finish there. The sad part of all this is that I really want my pen to get that worn-in look! I am not careful with this pen at all - I carry it around in my pocket, the same pocket that I stick change in on a daily basis. I’ve carried it in pockets with keys, in the bottom of my purse… I may need to take more drastic measures here. But, if you want a durable matte finish, I think this pen would be a good choice.

Writing experience

The nib that I got was not my favorite at first. I think the tines were a bit misaligned but I did a bit of work and now it is a comfortably wet F. A really nice aspect of the Al-Sport is that you can buy replacement nib units for ~$15, so if you want a different nib size or you get a bum one and don’t feel like sending it to a nibmeister, you can try something else for relatively cheap.

fpn_1413546169__tumblr_inline_ndkdn3i3xq

I am overall quite pleased with how this pen writes. And, because it’s a small nib it does not dry out as fast, which is handy since a screw cap is not the quickest thing to open and close. I actually once left this pen uncapped overnight (not my finest moment, I know) and it started up without too much complaint the next morning. Now that’s quality.

Filling system

This pen is a cartridge-only pen. Yes, you can buy a little bulb-filler type converter, but I have not heard good things about it. You can even make your own with a silicone sac and old cartridge, but I don’t feel like doing that. So, for me it’s down to standard international cartridges only.

fpn_1413546210__tumblr_inline_ndke6652qe

I thought I would have a problem with this aspect of the pen, but it turns out to not bother me at all. This is not my pen that I grab to write a long letter or do homework with. It’s a pen for having on hand at all times and jotting down quick notes when needed. For that, cartridges are fine.

Closing thoughts

fpn_1413546242__tumblr_inline_ndkeexta6c

Overall, I really like this pen. Granted, most of my pen reviews are quite positive but that’s because I only hang on to (and review) pens that I am quite fond of and so there’s that. But I do not regret buying this pen at all and I think it will be a constant companion for a fair number of years to come. Is it worth the $80 price tag? I think so, purely based on the quality of construction and the fact that you can easily swap out the nib for another. Is it worth the huge price jump over the plastic Sport? Like I said, I’ve never had a plastic Sport, but I think so. This pen feels so much better than something plastic, with a solidity that says, “Hey, I am not going to give up on you, even if you drop me down a flight of concrete steps. Will your phone do that?”

This pen was purchased with my own money and I am not being compensated in any way for this review. All opinions above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maverink

• nicholasyeo

• Blackhorse

• Orrell Post

Nice review. I like the ALSport line a lot, though my experience with the nibs are varied. Some I needed to fix up a bit before they wrote well. I have since sold some of them off but I kept the ALSport stonewashed blue because I liked the way it looked, and it has always been a great writer right out of the box.

p1030838.jpg?w=634&h=356

I like the tin pen cases the ALSport came in, too. it can fit either one or two pens. It's pretty neat, a suggestion to your subconscious to buy one more to maximize the capacity of the pen case, i guess. haha. needless to say, i'm highly suggestible. ^_^

Nice review! The Al Sport sure does look cool and I love the idea of the finish wearing down all cool. I found the need for a compact, durable pocket pen to use in the math help centre when I TA and was deciding between the Sport and the Al Sport, actually. I ended up grabbing the transparent Sport and I love it! I'm using it as an eyedropper filler right now and it's perfect. I can see myself maybe buying an Al Sport someday. Maybe? Would make an awesome introductory gift to someone curious about fountain pens!

Nice review. Thank you. I have had the plastic Sport for a few weeks, and really enjoy it. I had to do a bit of nib tweaking too.

Truth be told, though, I've been pining for the AL for awhile. The Sport is very light, probably too light for my liking. If I can find the AL somewhere on sale, I'll probably grab it up quick.

i like the shiny aluminum finish

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Goods pics, nice review.

I have the AL and bought a second nib as I wished I had gone for fine the first time. Both nibs write just fine and I use the converter, inked with Diaimine Prussion Blue, that the shop guy gave me when I bought the pen. I did not bother with the clip and keep it and a matching mechanical pencil in a little hand made case that pops into my pocket or bag. It is my every day carry.

I've got one I got on sale for about $50...aluminum 'color' to which I added the gold clip...looks lux! Fine nib writes neither wet nor dry...smoothly & right in the middle. I like metal. This and my Lamy AL Sports are some of my favorites. I love the stubby aspect of this little brute...they shoulda called it "the Pug"!

I adore my black plastic Sport, with a F nib, the best nib I've ever used. My daily writer. Very tempting to jump up to an AL, if I can keep the same nib.

There is a Kaweco squeeze type mini converter available, recently redesigned, the older version really didn't work. I find it easier to just use a syringe to refill the cartridges, and carry a spare cartridge of something compatible, i.e. similar colour, not likely to react,if I need a backup.

• 7 months later...

i have the black and the aluminium finish al sports nice pocket pens

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

I had an aluminum and loved it. Makes a great eyedropper.

thanks will try it on my al sport

And all indian pens

I like being able to remove the clip. The downside is, it scratches the finish

I think Kaweco has managed to keep this pen very interesting over the years. It's a simple pen, yet thanks to the different colors, finishes, interchangeable nibs, cool packaging, and distribution this pen is cool and desirable. To many of us, the perfect pocket pen, cartridges and all.

Kaweco is the fountain pen brand I've seen in various art, boutique, and gift shops in the US. The tin box is perfect, the pen very easy to use, even by complete novices. The cartridges are very practical for a lot of people.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I had an aluminum and loved it. Makes a great eyedropper.

thanks will try it on my al sport

It's not generally recommended to use a metal-bodied pen as an eyedropper due to the risk of the ink reacting with the metal.

It's not generally recommended to use a metal-bodied pen as an eyedropper due to the risk of the ink reacting with the metal.

I know Aluminium is reactive and reacts with air and acid (ink with low aciditiy). How about brass? Are they as reactive as Al? I want to use my new BRASS (reacts with air to form patina) SPORT as eyedropper. Is it going to be a bad idea too?