Student Daily Pen Suggestions

Kuscer

Hi all,

I am a student currently in 8th grade and I write a lot every day. I need a new pen with which I can write on a daily basis. Any suggestions (highly appreciated)?

Thanks,

Geena

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icywolfe

• LamyOne

• Kuscer

• FayeV

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lamy safari and pilot metro in the 20 dollar range are both super solid daily writers. If you need cheaper you could go with a platinum preppy for around 3-4 bucks.

http://i.imgur.com/JkyEiJW.png

Pilot Varsity disposable. They don't cost a lot, have a lot of nice black ink in them, and the nibs are great.

Lamy 2000, the nib doesnt dry out fast makes all the difference.

I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to afford a Lamy 2000 back when I was 13 yrs old or in 8th grade. :-/ I already like the Lamy S/AS/V pens and would lovey try a 2k someday, especially now that I'm less intimidated by piston fillers after trying out the Pelican M20x pens.

I think it would be helpful if Geena could also include budget and pen preferences (heavy or light weight pen? Etc.) This would make it easier to offer suggestions. Just a suggestion. :)

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to afford a Lamy 2000 back when I was 13 yrs old or in 8th grade. :-/ I already like the Lamy S/AS/V pens and would lovey try a 2k someday, especially now that I'm less intimidated by piston fillers after trying out the Pelican M20x pens.

I think it would be helpful if Geena could also include budget and pen preferences (heavy or light weight pen? Etc.) This would make it easier to offer suggestions. Just a suggestion. :)

I get pocket money, besides, the solstice is coming up which my dad is getting me a FP for :)

Do you have a budget we could work with?

If not, I'll list some here.

On the cheap end, we have the Chinese pens (Hero, Baoer, Jinhao etc). They just need a little work, and they'll write great. I recommend knockoff Safaris, like the Hero 359s.

Moving up, at 15 bucks we have Pilot Metropolitan. Reliable and durable enough for daily carry. Get one or two :D

At ~30 bucks, you can get a Lamy Safari. Made of ABS plastic, it is a workhorse pen and can take lots of knocks and whacks no problem!

At ~40 bucks, go for a Faber Castell Basic. Or Loom. Those have great steel nibs!

At ~50 bucks, get a TWSBI 580. Robust pen and great customer service.(40g, it suits your medium weight requirement! And you'll have enough change for 2 Metropolitans ;) )

Good luck finding a workhorse pen for yourself! :D

EDIT:to add in more options

~Epic

Edited by Notgatherox
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Sure! Price range up to about $80, I prefer medium-weight pens

Any Jinhao 250, 450, or 750 are nice dependable writers. They also come in a large variety of different designs, and are usually shipped with a cartridge converter so you are able to use a wide variety of different inks. I have, and use, several in my pen rotation and have never had any problems with any of them :)

As a student, it's usually a good idea to use an inexpensive, non flashy pen with good ink capacity.

You may want to check out the Pilot Prera, which can be converted to an eyedropper. You can also check out some Indian eyedropper or piston filler pens. Our own FPN member Mesu sells some nice pens at affordable prices. You can browse the items that she has for sale here https://www.flickr.com/photos/103501065@N05/, or contact her for recommendations.

Edited by holgalee

I've had positive experiences with my disposable bic pens. I think it would be nice for school use since you would not feel terribly for losing them -- which will inevitably happen in the 8th grade. Maybe get something that can be knocked around for school and keep a nicer pen at home for homework?

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

Sheaffer prelude, Kaweco al sport, Waterman hemisphere, Sheaffer sagaris, Twsbi 580/540 diamond.

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

My pilot Kakunos are really adorable, with a winky face on the nib. I probably spent about $20 on them including the converter. They are on the lighter side, but they write well. I'd probably use those in school because I wouldnt worry should something happen to them. Easily replaceable. I'd worry about bringing a more expensive pen to grade school. But then again, I worry about them when I bring them to work as well.

I use these as everyday writers:

• Parker Jotter - this is a cheap and small, but good pen with the same nib unit as some of their more expensive models (Vector, IM, Rialto), it is quite nice, but might be too thin for you
  • Rotring Art Pen - a nice workhorse pen (I'm still new to it so can't elaborate too much)
  • Esterbrook J - a vintage pen of very nice quality, but still inexpensive, I recommend trying it :)

I am also a student. I write a lot sometimes. With my c/c Sailor 1911M Fine, I have to fill the pen weekly. I would say consider a pen with high ink capacity

like a TWSBI 580 piston filler or other pens which can be easily converted into an eyedropper.

I'd suggest Lamy Safari - vey reliable in my experience, doesn't mind being bounced around, replaceable nib for when you (or somebody else who borrowed it) wrecks the nib, and within your budget you could get more than one for when you need different ink colours. Maybe two: one with a very fine nib with a bright colour for annotating things and a second with a slightly wider nib filled with blue or black for 'normal' writing?

Edited by PDW

A little bit classier-looking than a Lamy Safari: look at the Logo, less than £20, steel body and barrel, and the same nib as the Safari, which gets lots of praise. Solid enough to survive rough treatment and cheap enough to lose/get nicked, which as others have said WILL happen!

For $80.00 hmm....just off the top of my head

Sheaffer Imperials (330 or 440) with converter. $44 to $42 respectively at Peyton Street Pens

Lamy Safari or Al-Star $29.60 and $37.60 respectively at Goulet Pens

Camlin 47 fine point piston filler (beleive it or not a very nice pen with a large ink capacity). $14 each from Fountain Pen Revolution

Pilot Metropolitan $12-$20 from various sources

Single pens for your budget with a bit more quality:

Bexley Elegancia and Perlson c/c models. Just under $80 shipped on ebay

Parson italix from Mr. Pen (UK) for just under $60 US +shipping

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry