Will The Purists Come After Me With Torches And Pitchforks.....

jdllizard

The minty Green Tranny that came with my Visuthingy has a clear Ruby jewel in it from the Factory.

I've read this is just an over time color shift, that they originally weren't Ruby colored, I can't honestly argue the point one way or the other.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I don't care about such technicalities. Now I am sitting up late reading Moby Dick and watching to see if any of my Esterbrook jewels shift color . . .

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• amberleadavis

• jdllizard

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After 25 years of looking...I have two colors of jewels.

fpn_1413949445__bluejewel.jpg

Those are absolutely gorgeous. I would love to get the equipment, (maybe a small lathe?) and be able to make jewels like that, and the copper ones Bruce in FL made, as well as out of whatever other material struck my fancy.

Excellent work! Beautiful pen, better than how it came from the factory.

John L

I see no problem with this as long as it is clear that these are not original. It's not like Estie are relics of the bronze age. There are plenty of fine original pens around for historical purposes. I've enjoyed buying gnarly Parker 51s and refurbishing them with fantasy parts that Ariel Kullock makes in Argentina. Again there are plenty of original 51s in fine shape and no one could take these for originals but they are fun.post-91159-0-29236200-1415558907_thumb.jpg

In the unlikelihood that any Estienista say anything to you, send them to me.

DSC02120.JPG

And when I'm finished with them, I'll send what's left to Farmboy.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I always liked that pen, Bruce. I was hoping you'd post a photo of it in this thread.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The only exception might be some of us were walking by your house and we heard your pens screaming in the basement we might make an effort to rescue them. Otherwise, modify away as you see fit

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 2 weeks later...

I love these. Right now, I have a green streaker with a broken cap jewel. I was tempted to cannibalize, but what a shame to beget another incomplete pen.

So I'd love to find one of these "fantasy" cap jewels but I'd like to first know:

1) What is it exactly that I'm looking for at the craft store? Are these normally sold? What size are they?

2) How are you all affixing them to the cap?

Thanks ahead.

I love these. Right now, I have a green streaker with a broken cap jewel. I was tempted to cannibalize, but what a shame to beget another incomplete pen.

So I'd love to find one of these "fantasy" cap jewels but I'd like to first know:

1) What is it exactly that I'm looking for at the craft store? Are these normally sold? What size are they?

2) How are you all affixing them to the cap?

Thanks ahead.

The semi crappy ones I used I just found wandering around Hobby Lobby, but they do not compare to the homemade ones others have done and posted in this thread. I just super glued them on, which is not what I would recommend.

I know you don't want to cannibalize another pen for the jewel, but I bet someone has a parts pen that they could get a jewel from for you. I myself have several parts pens but the only jewels I have are the smaller size. So if your pen is an SJ let me know and I can hook you up with a jewel.

John

John L

Thanks for the offer. Mine is a J, though.

Which part of the craft store did you find them in? I wouldn't even know where to begin looking.

Yes, I saw the threads here about homemade ones using epoxy and such. Very tempting, but might be more time and effort than I'd like, for now. Once the holidays are over and I have a breather, it is a possibility.

If you absolutely Had To glue one of the jewel substitutes on, I probably would use a good dot of a rubbery Goo(p) type of glue.

It holds pretty well but the seal can be broken pretty easily for When you want to switch jewels around.

Just enough hold to keep the jewel on is enough.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks for the offer. Mine is a J, though.

Which part of the craft store did you find them in? I wouldn't even know where to begin looking.

Yes, I saw the threads here about homemade ones using epoxy and such. Very tempting, but might be more time and effort than I'd like, for now. Once the holidays are over and I have a breather, it is a possibility.

I have no idea, I just went in and told them what I was looking for and they pointed me in the right direction. I think they were by the beads and crystals used in craft stuff.

John L

If you absolutely Had To glue one of the jewel substitutes on, I probably would use a good dot of a rubbery Goo(p) type of glue.

It holds pretty well but the seal can be broken pretty easily for When you want to switch jewels around.

Just enough hold to keep the jewel on is enough.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Wise words, do not use superglue like I did. Sooner or later you may get the proper jewel you need and you'll want to take that hobby lobby jewel off and I install the real thing.

John L

Ah, yes, thanks for warning me off epoxy. My usual alternative is the silicone sealant glue often found at hardware stores. I've used them before with watch bezel inserts and found that they'll hold up pretty well but are also easy to peel off when needed. Will probably go with that for the jewel.

Also Aeileen's Tacky Glue can be great for projects, it dries clear and flat and won't ruin the plastic. Someday if you need to remove it, you can.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 months later...

On glues: maybe take advice from the museum restoration people, and do nothing that can't be reversed easily and without leaving traces. Then you can install your favourite jewel and have a response to the "you've killed a unique pen/historical artifact" community.

Edited by PDW

after all that there is very little to be said.

It is your writer , customize it any way you like....

So it may not please the purists, but as you only get one time around, I say," You Gotta Please Yourself"

Bruce Kadoos to you for your jewel modifications I'd be pleased to have that look on my Root Beer Float.

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

I hate the idea of cannibalizing from another Estie just for jewels. It's the purist's move but seems entirely destructive, if the donor pen is rendered unusable.

So I took a "jewel" I found at a craft store, as others have done, and applied a few layers of black touch-up paint. The result, once epoxied on, isn't too bad, actually. It will likely become a gift pen, though.

Was even tempted to keep the jewel blue, with all the dazzle. I'm sure at least one of my friends would have loved it that way, a fun Esterbrook that also functions as a magic wand.

Still waiting for someone with the equipment and CAD skills to do 3-D printing for Esterbrook jewels. I'd happily snap up a few.

Anyone?

Edited by spaceink

I like it. What size did you use?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I was going to say, and look closely at the corner of the package in the photo, that using an 8mm gem seems to be the right size.

Yes, that's what I thought. The 1.0 mm were too big. Thank you.