Anirban4u

As promised here (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/275605-any-areas-to-look-for-in-hardwar-uttarkhand/) , today I'll show off my hauls during my vacation. As I visited 3 different parts of India, allow me to introduce the bounty likewise.

Part I: Kolkata

Hauls: Sulekha inks, Crystal Violet,Emerald Green, Turquoise Blue & Scarlet Red. pics are here (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/90558-hunting-for-old-fps-in-kolkata-india-ramblings/page-3)

Picked up from Sulekha Showroom at Jadavpur, Kolkata.

Pens: A Parker Vacumatic Junior, A Sheaffer touchdown & A Wilson 45.

Let me talk about the Wilson first, as it was a gift to my dad; year 1985.

My dad was an employee in the claims division in Eastern Railway, a brunch of Indian Railways (Retd. now). This pen was never used and laid in a corner in the cupboard, forgotten. Upon pressing for details, my dad confessed that it was a gift for some tough assignment that he managed to untangle and complete successfully. I was also shown the certificates and other documents, as well as few b/w pictures.

post-108404-0-15594800-1413191395_thumb.jpg

post-108404-0-10361700-1413191414_thumb.jpg

This is a heirloom, and I intend to give it a good use, cause pens are not meant to be locked up (IMHO,YMMV).

The sheaffer TD and the Vac junior came from the little but enchanting treasure trove of fountain pen hospital in Esplanade, Kolkata.

post-108404-0-33414900-1413191672_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it has a triumph nib (me thinks).

post-108404-0-69847000-1413191784_thumb.jpg

I don't know the model name, and I'm relying on you guys for identification.

Here's the parker Vac junior & a close up of the nib:

post-108404-0-22058300-1413192080_thumb.jpg

post-108404-0-15031200-1413192097_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the nib is inserted well within the pen, so I can't see the year of manufacturing. :(

I can't finish Part I without acknowledging the wonderful Raj Bhai (Riaz) of the Fountain Pen hospital, and the shop owner of Sulekha (Mr. Ghosh).

The inks were bought during our festive season (Durga Puja), where we celebrate the triumph of Good over Evil. When Mr Ghosh saw me snatching up four ink bottles with eager hands, he remarked and I translate, "This doesn't look like the type of shopping for Durga Puja, but looks like that of Swaraswati Puja". [swaraswati: Deity of learning and Wisdom]. It was fun discussing pens and inks with him. :lol:

Raj Bhai, on the other hand, was pleasantly surprised when I showed enthusiasm on fountain pens and was about to pull out a tray for cheap chinese ones, when I said,"I came here to pick up something unique, preferably vintage".

He showed Pelikans (200,400,Silbexa), Pilots(78G,Decimo), Parkers(45,21,Frontier,Vac Senior), Sheaffer (PFM II Black,Targa Slim(with converter ;) ), Targa,Imperials, & few TDs & Snorkels (impossible to remember models,forgive me readers :( )), Easterbrook (only 1 model, which I forgot),Eversharp (Doric,Lever Filler).. I also picked up a con-W for an old Pilot, and serviced my Cross Solo (bad nib !). He promised to keep an eye out for a wilson 45 ballpoint pen (to complete the set). Now I know where to invest my meager salary. :lticaptd:

Part II: Hardwar,Uttarakhand

I have already given details here (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/275605-any-areas-to-look-for-in-hardwar-uttarkhand/).

Nibs are here, bunched with 4 Kale and 2 Montex nibs:

post-108404-0-52298800-1413193445_thumb.jpg

post-108404-0-48907500-1413193468_thumb.jpg

& the delightful Tridents

post-108404-0-68061800-1413193509_thumb.jpg

Nothing much to say on this part.

Part III: Delhi

My intention was to pick up Serwex pens, from the shop situated at Nai Sarak. To my utter bewilderment, I found a Saree (Traditonal garment for Indian Women) Shop there. I asked around, and was informed that the pen shop had been closed few months ago. My efforts to secure a few Serwex pens in other shops also turned futile, but I was directed at ARORA SONS (not Aurora! :lol: ) which is located very near to the HDFC & Kotak Mahindra ATMs.

Well, Arora do stock fountain pens, and have Waterman,Lamy,Cross,Parker,Sheaffer, Mont Blanc (163). However they do not stock Indian fountain pens. I happened to choose a bad day, a businessman was present at the shop & was hoping to pick up some premium pens to be gifted on the occasion of Diwali. Being a complete non FP user (though he spoke as if he knew them all!!), he was taking a hell lot of time. Finally, as I was getting frustrated, I asked at the counter if he could show me his box of old stocks. They looked at me indignantly and asked if I owned a shop. Upon hearing my answer, they laughed among themselves (to my great shock!) and told me that they don't have cheap pens.

Though it was rude, I kept my calm and asked them a few questions about their stock, and came to know that

1. They don't have Lamy replacement nibs

2. They stock only medium nibs

3. They know absolutely nothing about vintage pens or its worth. (I played a safe bait, and asked Sheaffer Snorkels,touchdowns & imperials)

However, when I asked about isographs (Rotring), they said that they are out of stock, but have a single Rotring FP left. When I challenged them to tell the model, they admitted that they didn't know. So I took the opportunity to reciprocate my feelings in few sarcastic words, paid the bill & left.

Them %$#@$@%!! :angry:

Here's the freeway

post-108404-0-43312900-1413195327_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer 1: I have no affiliation to the pen shops mentioned, though I'd go back time and again to Raj bhai for pens & Sulekha, for inks.

Disclaimer 2: I vented my anger at Arora Sons, as they had no right to be rude to a customer, that too an enthusiast (If I cam be called that !), for not shelling out heavy money on Waterman Perspectives or Cross Beverlies. Yes, they are nice pens I'm sure, but I was there for something else.

Disclaimer 3: I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings.

Disclaimer 4: Moderators,you are at liberty to place the topic to the right forum if need be.

Thanks All. Your constructive ideas are very much welcome :)

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anirban4u

• soum

• Parker51

• Kuscer

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forgive my mobile camera, I did try my best..

Those are some good looking pens you got there. Enjoy!

Thanks Geena, I'd have bought the Sheaffer any day. It's the writing experience than the visual aesthetic(s) which appeals more to me.

Nice buys! I remember treating myself to a similar haul at Sulekha and Pen Hospital last winter. :)

Enjoy your acquisitions!

Just swapped my Oliver Exam's nib with one bought at Hardwar. Perfect flow & smoothness. :) I like that !

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It is most unfortunate that the shopkeeper was rude to you. And to me quite surprising, dare I say unpatriotic that he disparaged Indian made Fountain Pens.

Anirban- are pens made in Andhra Pradesh and elsewhere in South India available anywhere else but if one visits Hyderabad or Bangalore? When I was growing up in Assam,I never even heard of pens by Ranga etc. Had to be a member of FPN and be in the US to learn about these wonderful pens!!!!

Though, I am glad to learn that Sulekha is still in business, I grew up using Sulekha pens and Sulekha inks.

@Wolverine1, I never saw Ranga,Gama etc here in Pune, or in Kolkata.

Having said that, as these are hand made and have room for many customizations, my belief is that the makers do entertain personal requests.

mpkandan from Ranga pen is a member here, and has helped me on more than one occassion. Send him a PM if need be. I'm not sure about others, perhaps Hari might help you out :D

As for the Sulekha, I was quite disappointed to know that they have stopped making fountain pens though their half-finished(hardly) website, do mention 2 pens.

sanyalsoumitra might have some info on Sulekha pens.

Edited by Anirban4u

Sulekha makes pens, may not be regular though. I picked one up las year. It takes a cartridge/converter and has a two-toned steel nib, very smooth.

Sulekha makes pens, may not be regular though. I picked one up las year. It takes a cartridge/converter and has a two-toned steel nib, very smooth.

Yes, they did make pens, however, the showroom opened only this year. :(

I vividly remember my conversation with MR. Ghosh when we were discussing about low end pens with good nibs. Maybe he'll reintroduce them.

I'll ring them up later in Nov for a request on few inks.

Yes, they did make pens, however, the showroom opened only this year. :(

The showroom has been around for a few years. I purchased the "Executive Pen" that they've on their website, from that store last winter. This year, in May/June, they renovated the store. I believe the new avataar is much better. I hope to visit soon. :)

Is Sulekha still doing business? I have a soft corner for their Emerald Green ink- I have to pick up a bottle sometime.

The showroom has been around for a few years. I purchased the "Executive Pen" that they've on their website, from that store last winter. This year, in May/June, they renovated the store. I believe the new avataar is much better. I hope to visit soon. :)

Oh, I always thought the previous one was a tiny shop, rather than a showroom. :) Don't know, this was my first visit there.

Is Sulekha still doing business? I have a soft corner for their Emerald Green ink- I have to pick up a bottle sometime.

Yes they are, and what Mr. Ghosh was of the opinion that he sees more demand for the Moss green than the Emerald Green. When I visited their showroom, there was only 2 bottles of emeralds left. I picked up one, allowing someone else to be the Sumgai :D

Oh, I always thought the previous one was a tiny shop, rather than a showroom. :) Don't know, this was my first visit there.

Indeed, the previous one was a bit of a nondescript shop. :)

Yes they are, and what Mr. Ghosh was of the opinion that he sees more demand for the Moss green than the Emerald Green. When I visited their showroom, there was only 2 bottles of emeralds left. I picked up one, allowing someone else to be the Sumgai :D

Is moss green available? Are you aware if it'd be available anytime soon?

My father was there a few weeks ago, and he, very kindly went to check for any inks they had. At that time, they had six bottles of emerald green and he picked up two. :)

Is moss green available? Are you aware if it'd be available anytime soon?

My father was there a few weeks ago, and he, very kindly went to check for any inks they had. At that time, they had six bottles of emerald green and he picked up two. :)

No idea. :(

I am yet to scribble in green, so wouldn't know the difference between moss & Emerald.

Very nice haul. Those Kale nibs look like they might fit Airmail/Wality or Oliver pens, am I right?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

@mhguda, yes, they are of similar size, so they'll fit without any problem.