• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• N1003U

• sansenri

• NumberSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I currently own 2 production-line pens: a Collier and a Beaumont. I also own four nibs (not sure how that happened: I have two fine points and two 1.5mm stubs). The nibs are interchangeable between the #6 nib pens, so the writing experience will be the same for any #6 pen, unless you spring for a gold or customized nib.

Edison pens are very pretty and very well made. I find them a little bit dry writing with all four nibs. Some complain that they're very lightweight, but that doesn't bother me at all. These are the pens that, when I use them, make people go "wow."

Other than the dryness, I don't have any serious complaints about these pens. I like them. They're not my favorite brand, but they are a brand I will be purchasing again. You will find some very dedicated fans of this brand.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

More than one. My 2009 Pearl has been getting regular use for 5 years now. The original review of it, including live screen captures of it being made, is here on FPN.

There should also be some photos on FPN that I made of the first limited edition that Brian did.

Yes, I highly recommend Edison pens.

I have 4. I love them because they're big, light, beautiful (I tend to like pens with a little flash, but they can be subtle too), and they have great nibs that Brian will customize. You can also choose from a variety of other customizations if you like. Recommend unreservedly. They do write beautifully, and Brian will work with you on flow, etc.

Edited by CoolFool

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,

And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

I currently own 2 production-line pens: a Collier and a Beaumont. I also own four nibs (not sure how that happened: I have two fine points and two 1.5mm stubs). The nibs are interchangeable between the #6 nib pens, so the writing experience will be the same for any #6 pen, unless you spring for a gold or customized nib.

Edison pens are very pretty and very well made. I find them a little bit dry writing with all four nibs. Some complain that they're very lightweight, but that doesn't bother me at all. These are the pens that, when I use them, make people go "wow."

Other than the dryness, I don't have any serious complaints about these pens. I like them. They're not my favorite brand, but they are a brand I will be purchasing again. You will find some very dedicated fans of this brand.

Hope you don't mind a question from me. It sounds like you use pens professionally and I was wondering what you do? Some kind of calligraphy or something? I collect pens but I use them just for normal writing, everyday writing, journals and stuff. I would imagine there are a lot of calligraphers on FPN.

Brian made a custom ebonite Pearl set for me, a fountain pen and rollerball, and tweaked the FP for me with great patience. I started out with a dou-tone steel medium nib, sent it back a couple of times, and eventually wound up with a broad which I am happy with. I can't say that the JoWo steel nibs are the pinnacle of smoothness, but they are very good and a very good value as well. I would deal with Edison again without hesitation, in fact I am contemplating ordering a Collier sometime soon.

Edited by markofp

I've had many. They are beautiful pens and Brian is awesome to work with but the nibs are, at best, average writers, and usually they are very dry with severe startup issues. I've sold them all. Japanese pens are more cookie cutter, they are not unique, but they are a much better value and write much better. If you really must have a custom pen I suggest contacting Shawn at Newton pens. His nibs are awesome.

I have 4 Edison pens. I lean towards bright colored pens and with the customized edison pens....I get the pen I want. My favorite is the Menlo. The pump system is cool to watch. I have a customized 14k fine nib that brian modified. It's got ton a spring to it. Writes like silk. Basically edison pens can give you the pen you desire.

Plus brian is wonderfully to work with. He cares very much the quality of his product. Have a problem with your pen....he will take care of it.

I've got a Collier (blue steel, EF) and it's very nice. Starts right up, on the upper edge of wet for me; I tend to prefer drier-writing pens, but I can't see anyone rating it as too dry. Adding a Binder 0.7 Italifine nib would pretty much finish it for me.

Hope you don't mind a question from me. It sounds like you use pens professionally and I was wondering what you do? Some kind of calligraphy or something? I collect pens but I use them just for normal writing, everyday writing, journals and stuff. I would imagine there are a lot of calligraphers on FPN.

No, I'm boring. I'm just a teacher. I use the pens for writing. I write for teaching. I also write with hopes of someday becoming a published author.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I have three, two custom made for me and one custom made for someone else that was later sold to me. As others have noted, Brian worked with me to make the pens what I wanted them to be (the customs were both in honor of an event). The nibs were adjusted for my writing style. One of these pens is currently back in Brian's hands because it fell and broke at the section; I am semi-patiently awaiting its return, even though it was destined to go into to storage after a year of consistent use.

I would certainly buy another one, whether custom or production line.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I am probably the newest Edison Pen owner. Mine is now about 12 hours old. Its a Menlo pump demonstrator with a steel nib. Brian convinced me I should at least start with the steel nib and if it just would not work for me, only then go the gold (and the extra bucks). I have written several letters, some 2 or three pages of notes and updated my personal journal. I am using J. Herbin's new 1670 Anniversary Stormy Gray ink. It is among the smoothest writer of my collection (which includes two Montblancs), and it did not skip or not start instantly during the several hours I used it. Seems to have the right balance between wet and dry. In a word, I love the pen. As others have said, Bryan is great to work with and his patience with my questions was truly professional.

Walt

I have a Beaumont from the production line and find it to be a very nice pen. The nib on this one has the perfect feel with nice consistent feedback that is never scratchy. Mine is also just the right wetness for me, I have wetter and dryer and prefer the Edison for ink flow.

I like it enough that I'm considering a custom ordered Pearl, which is my favorite overall shape. Really want a clipless one in ebonite.

• 1 month later...

I have four Edison pens: A Herald production, a Beaumont production, a Premiere Nouveau Autumn Heritage (the collaboration between Goulet Pens and Edison), and the 2014 LE Glenmont. My Herald and Beaumont both have Binderized steel nibs, and the others have steel nibs that aren't Binderized. All four get regular, heavy use when I'm writing a first draft, and my Herald is always the first pen I grab from my pen stand.

I tend to keep all four inked with different colors because I like seeing each day's writing progress at a quick glance. They're all lightweight enough that I can write for 3-4 hours without getting fatigued. I dream of getting Brian to make a custom pen for me with one of his high-capacity filling systems, but I have a feeling that would ruin me for all other pens.

I saw someone mention that these write on the dry side. I've actually found they're wetter than my Pelikan M400 was. I'm a leftie who side writes with a touch of an overhand arc, and these pens allow my ink to dry fast enough that I don't smudge it but it flows well enough to keep up with my thinking. I tend to use Pilot Iroshizuku inks in all four since it's on the wetter side.

Ruth

Custom Mina (button filler instead of standard C/C) in matte black ebonite. Very smooth, reliable writer.

Ebonite Glenmont from the group buy from a few months ago. I opted for the 1.1mm Italic nib. As such, it's somewhat sensitive to how I hold it, but that was expected.

I opted for steel nibs in both of them, and since everything he sells are tuned before they leave the warehouse, they work perfectly all the time, every time.

Thinking of the Beaumont in Bordeaux Flake up next.

-k

I have three Edison pens (a Herald, a Morgan, and a Menlo), and they are all lovely writers: beautiful acrylics, smooth nibs, well-engineered bodies. They're always inked.

Two I bought from the stock on hand that Brian brought to the Philadelphia Pen Show. I found it helpful to hold sample pens and look at the acrylics in person.

I bought the other through an FPN limited edition.

Someday I'll order a custom pen.

• 1 month later...

I just got an ebonite Glenmore with B nib from the 2014 LE run.

This is my first Edison. It is a beautiful colour and texture, light and writes fantastically - so smooth.

I will definitely buy 1 or more further Edisons in future.

I have two Edison production pens. They are very well made and I like the nibs as they come from Edison. Unfortunately, my pens get very little use because of the shape of the section. It has an hourglass shape that my fingers just cannot adjust to. I took my production line Hudson to work today to try again after a multi-month layoff and it still did not work for me. Perhaps I should reach out to Edison and see what a couple of sections in a different shape would cost. The bottom line is that Edison makes high quality pens from beautiful materials that can be purchased off the shelf, customised, or fully custom. I suspect there are very few companies of any product that can make a similar statement.

• 1 month later...

and the thing about Edison - more and more are showing up in the Classifieds. Does not mean that anything is wrong with them - but sometimes if you're lucky you can grab a custom at a great price. Sometimes I can't even wait for my next Edison and pick up something from the 'in stock' section on Brians website. Great pens - use them every day with a B nib.