Edison

Kuscer

@N1003U will you please post photos of your Glenmont when it arrives?  I think that might have been the model I liked after the Beaumont. This was from searching before the Comet was introduced. If I hadn’t just bought a Franklin-Christoph pen, one of the available Comet pens would be calling me. I saw one in Quantum Swirl that I liked. I found it in their Current Inventory tab. 

https://edisonpen.com/current-inventory-2/

Posted Image

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• N1003U

• NumberSix

• Topcat666

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

@N1003U will you please post photos of your Glenmont when it arrives?  I think that might have been the model I liked after the Beaumont. This was from searching before the Comet was introduced. If I hadn’t just bought a Franklin-Christoph pen, one of the available Comet pens would be calling me. I saw one in Quantum Swirl that I liked. I found it in their Current Inventory tab. 

https://edisonpen.com/current-inventory-2/

Sure. It’s due for delivery in about 5 or 6 more weeks, so if you don’t hear from me by mid-December, bump this thread again or send me a PM reminder. I am getting old and forgetful…😛

Edit: this is essentially the pen I ordered (these photos from the Edison Glenmont gallery), except mine will have a custom engraving.

image.thumb.jpeg.148de0f9c66d907d5120c9956caf204f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0948850ccfb9332e7b7b1d3d12e41545.jpeg

Cool!!  I found out that Brian puts an image of every pen made in the gallery images. I found my Beaumont in Molten Ores there. In that type of acrylic, the variations are many. I did find my pen there, as it matched the image of the pen Edison emailed. Plus I can look at my own pen to see it matches. 

Posted Image

6 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Here is my Beaumont. It’s even more attractive in person because of the depths of color.  

large.E696F4BE-9F1F-45CA-9525-9E436432B001.jpeg.444150d5444c1abfdca122c513e44431.jpeg

Yea, I have my eye on that molten ores material as well. It is lovely, as well as difficult to photograph, I suppose because of trying to color-balance the blue-silver hues. It has a depth that’s tough to capture in a 2D image.

Maybe I’ll do a Menlo in that Molten Ores material.

The Glenmont is larger, but similar in shape to the Beaumont. If you like the Beaumont, but want a bigger pen, the Glenmont is definitely a contender.

The Edison gallery is cool like that: it is possible to go back and find images of all your custom pens.

If you ever get an Edison pen in Molten Ores, I suspect you will love it. I’ve filled mine with inks that have metal names, copper, silver, gold, and now bronze. It is currently filled with Birmingham Pens Eroded Bronze. I bought a bottle of Robert Oster Antique Gold, after having a sample. That will be next, though I did use the sample in the pen already. Best matches were Diamine Ancient Copper and De Atramentis Silver Grey. I had bought the samples of Oster African Gold and Gold Antiqua. Both were readable, and nice inks. After looking at both writing I’d done, I picked Gold Antiqua. I did like African Gold too. But I sort of want Oster Orange Rumble.  

Posted Image

Oh, I remember when I was emailing Edison about the pen order, I asked for a good balance of all the colors.  I think the pen is that. But I realize that they probably can’t meet all requests, considering it’s a custom pen from a rod of acrylic. 

Posted Image

I've abstained from Edison.  In part because of some questionable pricing policies, but mainly because at that price point I have to ask what else I can get for the money. And the answer is quite a lot and includes gold nibs.

I sometimes think if I hadn’t bought the three pens, I could have gotten one more expensive one. It’s up to each of us to decide what’s more important in our pen buying. I got my first Edison at a pen show. I’ve watched a video of how they make their pens.  

I did find it easier to buy a Franklin- Christoph pen at under $200. As for me, if the nib is italic, cursive italic or stub, the material doesn’t matter. For you, @Aether a gold nib matters. This is good. We each know what we value in nibs. It’s why we are lucky to have so many options.  

Posted Image

Perhaps.  I wouldn't say a gold nib per se really matters, but when I can get a nice Pilot with an interesting converter and a superb gold nib for the same price as an Edison it begs the question.   There are plenty of other examples too.  The only advantage I see in Edison, or indeed the many other small makers, is the choice of materials.  Pen shape doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me, but I am a bit peculiar like that!

As you say, it's nice to have choice.  

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was here and remember when Brian was making pens as a hobby and selling a few.  I also remember when he made the announcement that he was going full-time and focusing on penbuilding.

Over the years I have specced several custom pens but have never ordered one.  That changed yesterday when I ordered a production line Collier Nighthawk from Goulet (looks like I got the last one from this particular batch).

Hoping the pen is as good as I expect, will update once it comes in and I have some time to use and evaluate it.

Glad that Brian has found success and grown as he has.

Edison pens are reliable and available in many materials and colours. I like them, next one will be with a number 8 nib.

Always have good experience with Edison pens. Recently received the special edition Garolite Collier, which is really beautiful. The material (Garolite) is "woven fiberglass laminate that is bonded with epoxy" according to the Edison website. It seems to be similar to Micarta. It's really nice and I am enjoying the pen.

edison-collier-garolite-03sm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@Nyoko Great to see a photo of the Garolite Collier. Was on the fence about getting that one. I'm not familiar with micarta. Does the pen feel warm to the hand like ebonite?

6 hours ago, Ayami_109 said:

@Nyoko Great to see a photo of the Garolite Collier. Was on the fence about getting that one. I'm not familiar with micarta. Does the pen feel warm to the hand like ebonite?

Thank you - the Garolite Collier is really a nice pen. I wouldn't say it is warm to the touch like ebonite. Micarta is more of a cotton cloth in resin, whereas, garolite is fiberglass cloth in resin (actually in epoxy). Maybe the micarta feels a little warm to the touch.

The only comparison I can make is with the one micarta pen I own, which is the Magna Carta Denima. You can see in the photos. In this pen they use actual denim material, like jeans. It's really nice but feels totally different from the garolite. This micarta material really feels like cloth and has a lot of texture, in comparison to the garolite, which is more encased in the plastic. I think both can stain easily, but it seems like the micarta is much more permeable to ink. When I filled it with Waterman Blue, it really soaked into the part of the section that got immersed in the ink bottle. But the stain did come out easily. I wouldn't use any intense ink with this pen.

edisonCollier-magnacarta-1sm.jpg

edisonCollier-magnacarta-2sm.jpg

I saw a Twsbi Micarts that after some years has developed a stain in the barrel like a humidity stain. The fact that the Garolite Collier feels that it is more encased in plastic will protect it more from humidity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/13/2023 at 2:53 AM, jchch1950 said:

Edison pens are reliable and available in many materials and colours. I like them, next one will be with a number 8 nib.

I have two Collier Grandes and a third one coming. I absolutely love them. Thinking about getting a bock gold nib to swap into one of them if I can find a deal on one.