Ink cartridge stuck in barrel

parrothead56

Well I just found myself in this predicament and my brand new (Refurbished) Lavenger pen has cartridge stuck in it... And can't seem to get it out. I have tried some of these tricks without luck and few I am gonna try later. Thanks everyone for their input.

Harsh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillTheEditor

• parrothead56

• daoud62

• Kabe

I love the idea of sucking the ink out with a syringe first!<br /><br />However, it is not to messy to go at it directly.  Straighten out a paperclip.  Heat the end with a bic lighter, or functional equivalent.  It will go nicely through the cartridge, like butter.<br /><br />When it cools, take a needle nose pliers and put a v bend \| in the end, push it straight in the whole, then pull out with the cartridge hooked nicely.  <br /><br />Might do it in the sink for cleanup.

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

The standard set of dental picks has one which has a small 90 degree hook on it which can be used to pull out stuck carts.

Also, there are crochet needles which have sort of a barb on them which can also be used.

My favourite is a long self-tapping screw.

• 9 months later...

My pen is a used S.T. Dupont Montparnasse (which has a little handle at the bottom of the barrel that you turn so that the nib comes off). The pen was sold without a converter, so I came onto FPN :) and found out that I need a Parker converter. Well, the Parker converter would only go down so far. I couldn't imagine what was wrong until I looked inside the barrel. There, staring at me, was the top of a cartridge. I imagine the previous owner put a second one in the wrong way and it got wedged somehow. I have tried the unbent paper clip, a thin letter-opener, and a dental prod, but nothing works...it's not budging.

Any other ideas????? Please..Help.....

My pen is a used S.T. Dupont Montparnasse (which has a little handle at the bottom of the barrel that you turn so that the nib comes off). The pen was sold without a converter, so I came onto FPN :) and found out that I need a Parker converter. Well, the Parker converter would only go down so far. I couldn't imagine what was wrong until I looked inside the barrel. There, staring at me, was the top of a cartridge. I imagine the previous owner put a second one in the wrong way and it got wedged somehow. I have tried the unbent paper clip, a thin letter-opener, and a dental prod, but nothing works...it's not budging.

Any other ideas????? Please..Help.....

A long thin wood screw, pull the cartridge out like a wine cork

• 3 months later...

This happened to me recently when I received a new pen with the extra short cartridge stuck just as you described. I was lucky in that just wiggling it (in my case, with an unfolded paperclip) got it loose.

I'd try the heat solution next, but also (depending on how stuck it is) try a small blunt object with either double stick tape or some of that poster putty stuck to the end and see if you can't just pull it free. My point is to try a few things that don't involved puncturing the cartridge first. What a mess that could be! ohmy.gif

If you don't mind losing the cartridge (and why would you?), I find an unbent (straightened) paper clip to be one of the greatest tools yet invented. Stab the sucker and then apply pressure with the paper clip to slide it out along the side of the barrel.

Or you could use a very fine steel crochet hook.

Pam

I love the idea of sucking the ink out with a syringe first!<br /><br />However, it is not to messy to go at it directly. Straighten out a paperclip. Heat the end with a bic lighter, or functional equivalent. It will go nicely through the cartridge, like butter.<br /><br />When it cools, take a needle nose pliers and put a v bend \| in the end, push it straight in the whole, then pull out with the cartridge hooked nicely. <br /><br />Might do it in the sink for cleanup.

I found a box of old pens, mostly ball points and fountain pens, old "junk", somewhat interesting in that several are marked "made in USA" or just "USA". You're going to cringe ... all the FPs have old/dried ink on them, old/dried ink cartridges/converters inside, and they've all been neglected. Anyhow....

I opened one of the old FPs and found the spare international/standard size cartridge stuck inside the barrel. It was wedged in there real good. Oh no! What do I do?

Before blindly posting my question on the forum, I went and did a search and this was the thread that came up first.

I just wanted to say that the paperclip did the trick. Well, not at first. It took a few tries to stab the thing to pierce the hole, and once I got a hole, it took many more unsuccessful tries trying to pull it out because there was nothing for the straight-end paper clip to grab onto. I was worried that all I had accomplished was pushing the cartridge further into the barrel. I was almost resigned to using the pen with one short cartridge and no spare.

Then I re-read the thread more carefully and came across adamselene's extra tip of using the needle nose pliers to make a hook at the end of the paperclip. So I bent my paperclip and gave it another go. Voilà! The ink cartridge is liberated.

THANK YOU so much for the great advice!!!! <3

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I found a box of old pens, mostly ball points and fountain pens, old "junk", somewhat interesting in that several are marked "made in USA" or just "USA". You're going to cringe ... all the FPs have old/dried ink on them, old/dried ink cartridges/converters inside, and they've all been neglected. Anyhow....

I opened one of the old FPs and found the spare international/standard size cartridge stuck inside the barrel. It was wedged in there real good. Oh no! What do I do?

Before blindly posting my question on the forum, I went and did a search and this was the thread that came up first.

I just wanted to say that the paperclip did the trick. Well, not at first. It took a few tries to stab the thing to pierce the hole, and once I got a hole, it took many more unsuccessful tries trying to pull it out because there was nothing for the straight-end paper clip to grab onto. I was worried that all I had accomplished was pushing the cartridge further into the barrel. I was almost resigned to using the pen with one short cartridge and no spare.

Then I re-read the thread more carefully and came across adamselene's extra tip of using the needle nose pliers to make a hook at the end of the paperclip. So I bent my paperclip and gave it another go. Voilà! The ink cartridge is liberated.

THANK YOU so much for the great advice!!!! <3

It's a pleasure to read about someone who used the information and advice from previous experiences to answer their question.

Bravo for taking the initiative!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 2 months later...

I just received a new Kaweco pen. I didn't know that the pen comes with a cartridge that is stored upside down in the barrel. So I put another cartridge in. When I tried to screw the barrel on, of course it wouldn't go on all the way and the original cartridge became lodged in the barrel.

I cut a small bit of double sided tape and put it on the end of the new cartridge (that was now attached to the nib unit). I put the new cartridge with the tape on the end into the barrel, touching the stuck cartridge with the double sided tape. The original, stuck cartridge came right out.

So thanks to the person who mentioned the double sided tape!

I can find all the answers to my questions on FPN.

Edited by Green Ink

• 1 year later...

I had a cartridge from a Kaweko Sport stuck in the barrel of the pen. It was really wedged in there. I tried tweezers, which failed (they got too small to get any purchase on the cartridge when stuck into the barrel) and an embroidery needle, which also failed (I tried puncturing the cartridge and angling the needle to drag it up the side to no avail). The thing that ultimately worked was getting a long, thin screw and inserting it into the punctured top of the cartridge, turning the screw so the thread went in, and YANKING. Worked like a charm.

Clever. When I read your heading, my first thought was to use a dental tool of some sort. Then as I read your text and you mentioned the knitting needle, I thought that was a great idea. Then when you mentioned the screw I thought, duh, why didn't I think of that. The screw idea was very clever because it's so simple and a very certain way of gripping the cartridge. I'll use your trick in the future. Thanks.