Show Us What Ink You're Using Today!

A144

I've wrote this little list of my most preferred inks. Many of them are simple blends. If you have questions, I'll happily answer them.

post-117243-0-86530100-1493306841_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike.jane

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• TheRealScubaSteve

• mehandiratta

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Robert Oster's Smokescreen. A gift from the ever generous Cyber6.

A sort of dark reddish brown and a little complex. Paper plays a rather larger than usual part in its colour - a little how Rikyu-cha reacts with papers, although nothing like Rikyu_cha's colour.

Just tested it out in my Duke Confucius 551 bamboo (fude) on some super cheap sketchbook paper from Tiger and was pleased with the result. Looking forward to playing with this one.
I thought the scribble (top section) looks remarkably like a king wearing an open crown.

("Man" now has a place in my scrapbook.)

fpn_robert_oster_smokescreen_man.thumb.jpg.a81489002ef19d78c2be76b3d332c3e7.jpg

2 hours ago, Juliet Cyrus said:

I am a person who loves to write calligraphy. I use Winsor & Newton ink. The ink flows well when used in any pen. You can also use this product on various paper types since it is not clogged in your pens or bleeds on surfaces.

Hi Juliet, I found the W&N calligraphy ink gummed up my fountain pen.

• 2 weeks later...

There had been roughly 20 years when I used only one fountain pen and only two inks, quite frequently switching between blue and green on a rapid 3 years interval. Sure, without ever cleaning the pen, the inks mixed well so, some cycles later, I started to mix these two before filling the pen and used 'my' newly invented petrol for the next 10 years.

Pandemic changed it all. Not only did I buy more inks, I also bought more pens.

And then the first-world-problem kicked me and I started to find matching inks for my pens and matching pens for my inks.

Crazy?

Yes!

I started to love having two, three or even four fountain pens filled and ready to use them simultaneously. You can guess the consequence? Indeed, these three or four ink colors should fit well to each other and should fit to the season.

Super crazy?

Yes!

And here we are: the currently filled four autumn colors are:

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine, deAtramentis Aubergine, Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine, InesF Autumn Leaf (a mix of P.Edelstein Mandarin, P.4001 Red and P.4001 Brown).

810A0815.jpeg.51d8ed737587bb14ddd8a77093880d0a.jpeg

The inks are put on a sheet of Hahnemühle 200 g/m2 aquarell paper with a paintbrush; left side put asymmetrically on a pre-wetted area, right side put on dry paper and later washed with water.

Sure, there is also a photo of the four pens and a writing sample:

810A0818.thumb.jpeg.7d1b62756dd1be79161d49a2383e3504.jpeg

Riddle of the day: guess which pen I used for which ink!

(sorry, there is not price to win)

Using each one of the pens as a daily writer for one week lets me keep the ink set for four weeks in use. I like that - it somehow reduces the craziness.

One life!

• 1 year later...

Some old inks that were stored away, sadly neglected and most had dried out. Was able to restore the Swan inks with distilled water, the Stephens ink could not be revived.

Only did writing tests with a dip pen as there is a lot of sediment in the Swan inks. These inks are easily 60 plus years old and were pretty common in Australia.

Writing test with the Swan ink, both write well with a dip pen.DSC00997.thumb.JPG.ec60c142b6dd7c6b4600de1d35d1d4b7.JPG

StephensandSwanInk.thumb.JPG.abdc9d6ad35daaf2afed9d1afcae46a6.JPG

Apart from the Swan inks have a few bottles of Ancol ink. Ancol was a large stationary chain in Australia. Don't think Ancol actually manufactured the ink, probably got a ink maker to supply them with ink with the Ancol name on the bottles.

These inks survived the ravages of time quite well and only needed a little top up with distilled water.

The blue ink is quite a handsome colour and only wish I had bought a couple more bottles at the time.

Each bottle of ink was a princely sum of 48 cents at the time of purchase. Probably the late 60's or early 70's.

Wish ink was so cheap in this day and age. 😀

AncolBlack.thumb.JPG.913f21a280a2a0749b1bc7c6ef8a503f.JPGAncolBlue.thumb.JPG.83f3f3d99eb8b038974d5b35bc83a95b.JPG

23 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Very cool vintage inks, @W Mitchell!

Can I twist your arm to add your photos and description to this thread, please?

Gladly, did not even know of this thread. Have a few others photographed as well, mostly 1960's vintage. There are even some not photo'd as yet. Will do so tomorrow.

1 hour ago, W Mitchell said:

Gladly, did not even know of this thread. Have a few others photographed as well, mostly 1960's vintage. There are even some not photo'd as yet. Will do so tomorrow.

Thanks! I have some more to photo and put up in that thread too ...

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• 4 weeks later...

Gulf Blue in its red M205.

spacer.png

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell