Noodler's Apache Sunset

yogalarva

This is one of those inks that is legendary in the FP world. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of someone who absolutely hates it, and I don’t know that I’ve heard that much about people who are relatively indifferent to it. I wish I could be one of those people, but sorrynotsorry, this is going to be another gushing review for this ink.

fpn_1412686668__tumblr_inline_nd1sd85bli

Like I said above, at first I didn’t see what all the hoopla was about. Then I switched to the notebook I have started using for my ink reviews and the beautiful shading really started to show itself.

fpn_1412686735__tumblr_inline_nd1srznqtu

In case you are super new to fountain pens or have been living under a rock for, like, ever, Apache Sunset is known for being an ink that has some serious shading. And I love shading, so this was a wonderful treat to write with.

fpn_1412686760__tumblr_inline_nd1su8l7v6

As I expected, this ink does not have a ton in the way of water resistance. Which usually irks me, but then again this ink is not something that I would be using for writing important messages. While it is definitely dark enough to stay readable, I would never use this as my all-purpose daily user. However it would be fun to have loaded up for marking up a document or just writing for the sake of writing.

fpn_1412686797__tumblr_inline_nd1szfnrpz

This ink worked well on all the papers I tested it on, but I found that it performed the best on the notebook paper making up the bulk of the review. Nice bright white to bring out the color, smooth for a good writing experience, and no troubles with bleeding or feathering.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this ink. I will be getting a full bottle once my finances recover a bit from some recent ink buying binges. The nice thing is that, as a Noodler’s ink, you can get a lot of it for not too much money - roughly $13/100 mL here in the States. How can you say no to that?

This ink was provided for review by a generous reader. I am not being compensated for this review in any way. All opinions expressed above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

The full page scan of the review, in case anyone was curious:

fpn_1412686844__tumblr_inline_nd1td6mpqw

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinysnail

• amberleadavis

• WaskiSquirrel

• yogalarva

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started venturing into the fountain pen world beyond my utilitarian use of Parker Quink and one pen, I started reading about words like "shading". I didn't understand until I saw this ink.

Yes, it's a beautiful ink. Thanks for the review.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Thanks lovely job you did there.

Noodlers have a lot of nice inks.

The problem is that I do not live under a rock. I live in the middle of a few... The Autrian alps.... Pretty hard to get that lovely stuff here

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Nice review! I'm one of the many in the Apache Sunset fan club. What I like about it is that you can use it to gage the wetness of a pen. It's light orange in a dry pen but basically red in a wet pen. Pens somewhere in the middle seem to show off the shading the best.

That seems like an excellent excuse for me to buy this ink! :D (As if I need another excuse...)

That seems like an excellent excuse for me to buy this ink! :D (As if I need another excuse...)

You'll never run out of reasons :)

I just filled my Ahab with it today. Look at how different the colour is here vs. in yogalarva's review!

http://38.media.tumblr.com/fa709be4e211258a141a99acd89f4a2b/tumblr_nd43unqrRe1qgziczo1_1280.jpg

This is one of the few inks I'd buy a jug of. Thanks for the nice review.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

After years of using orange inks and several samples, I bought a bottle because this ink is part of a complete collection. Thank you for the great review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY