Clip Brassing And Micro-Scratches

FoszFay

Hey all,

Is it possible to repair a clip that has 'brassing' on it? Is it possible to get it plated in gold or anything?

And; Can you remove micro-scratches from resin pen barrels and caps?

Thanks,

Tom.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fabri00

• FoszFay

• tryphon

• FOUR X FOUR

you can get clips replated. the equipment is probably prohibitively expensive for diy, unless you plan on restoring lots of pens.

Micromesh will remove micro scratching, or there is someone on ebay that sells a MB precious resin restorer - I have no idea how useful it is

I found the Mb paste, $30. Not that bad considering you only use a very small amount.

Would something like this work though? http://m.ebay.com.au/itm?itemId=181434633937

It has different grades for deeper scratches.

Tom.

No. But you can get Meguiar's polishes at Harbor Freight: they will work as well as the MB paste.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

No. But you can get Meguiar's polishes at Harbor Freight: they will work as well as the MB paste.

I though possibly car polishes, but don't you think they will 'cut' too much? Even a really light one might still scratch. I'll have a go with some today on just a Pilot 78G.

Tom.

Go lightly and use the least abrasive cut. Do not use it over gold plated furniture or nibs. In some cases you can dilute the polish in water. Easy does it...

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Go lightly and use the least abrasive cut. Do not use it over gold plated furniture or nibs. In some cases you can dilute the polish in water. Easy does it...

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Tom.

• 1 year later...

If you can remove the clip, take it to a jewelers store. Gold plating it should be relatively inexpensive.

EDIT: Yes, micro scratches from a resin barrel, cap and finger grip can be removed by using a 2 stage polishing cloth with jewelers rouge compound. Jewelers rouge is the most finest abrasive there is. You grab the red cloth with jewelers rouge and you rub the barrel until you think you removed all micro scratches, then you polish with the yellow cloth. Works best if you do red, yellow, red, yellow, red, yellow, until you get a grin that hurts your face. (Red = Abrasive, Yellow = Polish).

Here is an amazon link for you. I have exactly the same one. Don't get the ones at the jewelers stores, those don't work.

I have done it on a resin barrel, cap and finger grip from a Pilot Falcon. Looks just as perfect as when it was brand new. Because I was removing some scuff marks, which are bigger than micro scratches, I covered all rhodium plated details on my pen, because I rubbed with some extra force than the one necessary. I spent 2 days fixing my pen, each day I spent like 30 mins, and I redid the process about 5 times on the barrel, once on the finger grip and twice on the cap. The end product is perfectly flawless.

Hoping this helps. :D

Edited by Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

I bought a kit to plate metals in silver or gold.

It cost about 100 euro and you get one liquid to clean the metal, one to activate the plating, and one to plate.

All works with electrodes and electricity.

In my case the electrode choosen is a kind of small brush.

I have gold plated several nibs, clips and rings. Results are very nice and also durable if you spend a bit of time to make a thik plating (about 5 microns).

It takes 15/20 minutes for each part you want to plate.

The liquids are enough for probably some hundred of pens parts.

I though possibly car polishes, but don't you think they will 'cut' too much? Even a really light one might still scratch. I'll have a go with some today on just a Pilot 78G.

Tom.

Way too abrasive. I've seen pens completely destroyed because they used car polishes or furniture polishes. On they way, you also void your warranty.

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

I bought a kit to plate metals in silver or gold.

It cost about 100 euro and you get one liquid to clean the metal, one to activate the plating, and one to plate.

All works with electrodes and electricity.

In my case the electrode choosen is a kind of small brush.

I have gold plated several nibs, clips and rings. Results are very nice and also durable if you spend a bit of time to make a thik plating (about 5 microns).

It takes 15/20 minutes for each part you want to plate.

The liquids are enough for probably some hundred of pens parts.

fabri00,

I have wondered about these "brush plating" kits. Are you removing the trim items from the pen, or plating them while they still in place? If they are still on the pen, do you see any evidence of residual solution getting under trim and causing corrosion?

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

Till now I removed all the parts I re - plated, as this was possible.

I think it is not strictly necessary, and I'll try soon.

If you refer to the kit mentioned, it is not possible to spray.

The plating is done by electricity, so that you have to rubber the brush over the surface to be plated, for at least 20 minutes.

If you refer to the kit mentioned, it is not possible to spray.

The plating is done by electricity, so that you have to rubber the brush over the surface to be plated, for at least 20 minutes.

Hey Fabrio. I don't understand what you're referring to, when you say KIT. I'm just talking about his clip.

Sorry.

For kit I intend all the part necessary in this case to plate.

All the liquids, the electrodes, power supply, gloves, and so on.

I'm not mother language in English, but because the site selling that material called them "plating kit" and it is an UK site, I understood the term kit was correct and understandable in English.