• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bstnnyc

• saskia_madding

• Ghost Plane

• Algester

I think this is a fair representation.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thank you! They look similar to me, with more shading on the Maruzen. Shall give 4B a miss then... Scratch that, decided to go for it anyway! Lol :lol:

Edited by nyx_h

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Actually, i think they are incredibly different. 4B is a blue-black with lots of sheen, and eternal blue is more of a turquoise colour, much lighter. Ill try to at least fin two pictures i could put side by side for a comparison on monday.

Actually, i think they are incredibly different. 4B is a blue-black with lots of sheen, and eternal blue is more of a turquoise colour, much lighter. Ill try to at least fin two pictures i could put side by side for a comparison on monday.

This is the sheen on the 4B

Verba volant, scripta manent

I'm happy you resurrected this thread nyx_h, because I have another Sailor question and I didn't want to hijack the other Sailor inks thread with a personal request! I'm trying to find a red ink among the sailor shop exclusives that is close to this nail color swatch.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/chanel_malice006_zps8fc3a436.jpg

I'm looking for a red that is saturated, wet and has sheen (and that does not dry down to a flat, brown, dusky or rosy color). Ive tried Oku-Yama and it's not quite there. (Also from what I could find on FPN and on the internet and from a writing sample that Alarickc sent me (Thank you!) Bung Box Tears of a Clown Ruby, Kobe#4, Kobe#20 and Kobe #27 don't look like the red I'm hoping for.) So far the Maruzen Akane looks like it could be the closest match but I wasn't sure, so I wanted to ask you all for your suggestions before putting in an order. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Ooh, what polish is that?

I have to admit that my first thought *was* Kobe #27 (Kounan Maroon). I'd definitely be interested in seeing whatever the result is. I'm still on the search for a perfect red, myself.

I'm happy you resurrected this thread nyx_h, because I have another Sailor question and I didn't want to hijack the other Sailor inks thread with a personal request! I'm trying to find a red ink among the sailor shop exclusives that is close to this nail color swatch.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/chanel_malice006_zps8fc3a436.jpg

I'm looking for a red that is saturated, wet and has sheen (and that does not dry down to a flat, brown, dusky or rosy color). Ive tried Oku-Yama and it's not quite there. (Also from what I could find on FPN and on the internet and from a writing sample that Alarickc sent me (Thank you!) Bung Box Tears of a Clown Ruby, Kobe#4, Kobe#20 and Kobe #27 don't look like the red I'm hoping for.) So far the Maruzen Akane looks like it could be the closest match but I wasn't sure, so I wanted to ask you all for your suggestions before putting in an order. Thank you all in advance for your help!

Interesting.. I would have said that Maruzen Akane is the most unlikely match (Akane has orange undertones). I would have guessed.. Oku-yama, Tears of Clown and Kobe #27.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Ooh, what polish is that?

I have to admit that my first thought *was* Kobe #27 (Kounan Maroon). I'd definitely be interested in seeing whatever the result is. I'm still on the search for a perfect red, myself.

It's a wonderful nail color in person! It is a Chanel limited edition from holiday 2012 :) Before moving into academia I used to work in marketing and product development in the beauty industry so certain cosmetic colors are stuck in my head haha

I was hoping Kobe 27 would work, but in the review that Saskia wrote it looked a little too brownish and wasn't as vibrant as I would have liked. I don't know why it's so hard to find the perfect red; hopefully we will both find one this month!

Interesting.. I would have said that Maruzen Akane is the most unlikely match (Akane has orange undertones). I would have guessed.. Oku-yama, Tears of Clown and Kobe #27.

Thank you for letting me know about the orange undertones! Akane was one of the Sailors I had the hardest time finding writing samples of. Oku-Yama isn't far from what I'm looking for, but there is something about the tone of the lighter areas where the ink doesn't pool that I am not 100% in love with. I know I'm having a terrible Goldilocks moment with red haha I'm sorry! It's always been a hard color for me, so I'm hoping that if I find the perfect shade, I will be able to use it more often

I ordered Tears of a Clown along with my 4B, will do a sample for you when it comes! :)

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I think Sailor's biggest failing in my eyes is being able to make a really great dark red. They always end up brown or orange or super dull and boring. If I could find a Sailor red like those nails, I'd get a million bottles (I love red ink a lot!). Honestly, I've kind of given up. Not everyone is great at everything, and with their incredible line of blues and greens, I've had to let go of the reds.

I took look in my ink cabinet, and it turns out I actually have a bottle of Maruzen Akane. I think Atsu gave it to me as a gift when I first started doing reviews and directing a ton of people to him. :P At any rate, from the cap I don't think Akane will be what you're looking for, but it is supposed to be sunnyish tomorrow morning in Toronto, so I'll fill a pen and snap some pics, which I'll post in the afternoon.

ETA Anyone wondering about the polish, it was called Malice.

It's a wonderful nail color in person! It is a Chanel limited edition from holiday 2012 :) Before moving into academia I used to work in marketing and product development in the beauty industry so certain cosmetic colors are stuck in my head haha

Ah, that must mean it's Chanel Malice! I debated buying it two years ago but it was just too pricey for me and I had some similar beauties already. :)

Adore that red! Let me know when you find it.

I'm happy you like it too Ghost Plane and will keep you posted! :)

I ordered Tears of a Clown along with my 4B, will do a sample for you when it comes! :)

Thank you nyx_h! By the way, I think you will be very happy with 4B. It is my favorite out of the four Bung Box inks that I've tried so far. The combination of the ink color and sheen is just spectacular!

I think Sailor's biggest failing in my eyes is being able to make a really great dark red. They always end up brown or orange or super dull and boring. If I could find a Sailor red like those nails, I'd get a million bottles (I love red ink a lot!). Honestly, I've kind of given up. Not everyone is great at everything, and with their incredible line of blues and greens, I've had to let go of the reds.

I took look in my ink cabinet, and it turns out I actually have a bottle of Maruzen Akane. I think Atsu gave it to me as a gift when I first started doing reviews and directing a ton of people to him. :P At any rate, from the cap I don't think Akane will be what you're looking for, but it is supposed to be sunnyish tomorrow morning in Toronto, so I'll fill a pen and snap some pics, which I'll post in the afternoon.

Thank you so much Saskia! I've been so impressed with all of the Sailor inks that you've recommended to me that I figured they had to have the perfect red too :P But, I agree after all those blues and greens I'd be ok without the red. My biggest problem with Sailor has been trying to decide on which ink to use and to pick a top 3 (and I only have a small assortment!) Each time I think I've made a selection, I either fill a pen with an ink that I haven't used much yet or receive a new package from Atsu, and the ranking goes down the drain... That's what happened with the Onago Iro About to Leave today; I had a major WOW moment! Thank you for recommending it!

PS For anyone looking for a dupe of the Chanel nail color there was a good comparison done a while back:

http://jroxy13.blogspot.com/2012/12/chanel-in-637-malice-comparisons-15.html

Thank you for letting me know about the orange undertones! Akane was one of the Sailors I had the hardest time finding writing samples of. Oku-Yama isn't far from what I'm looking for, but there is something about the tone of the lighter areas where the ink doesn't pool that I am not 100% in love with.

Couldn't capture the undertone... is very subtle... Maybe Saskia will have better luck with a sunny day...

fpn_1417491940__sailor_akane.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Couldn't capture the undertone... is very subtle... Maybe Saskia will have better luck with a sunny day...

Thank you so much for this writing sample Cyber6! I can see the color much better here and although it's not what I was initially looking for, I think I could see myself using it :) I will wait for Saskia's pics to be sure about the undertone and then decide if I give in and order Akane while continuing to hunt for the ink equivalent of the red nails!

Edited by bstnnyc

Thanks for the comparison link. I simply stick with Chanel as the stuff lasts longer on my nails than any other brand I've tried. Though I adore the broader brush in NARS and the Lim colors this year, it flakes off days ahead of Chanel.

Sorry for the nail varnish hijacking. Back to the quest for red/black ink as I want a good one with Sailor behavior.

I'm sorry, but today is completely gray. It's snowing. So much for the sunny morning! Thursday is supposed to be mainly sunny, so I'll try again then.

I didn't know you had akane, cyber6! What other gems have you been hiding from us??? :P Pictures please!

If you happen to coordinate your calender with an ink clinic session you might win yourself that dark red you so covet but the problem is how will you get more swigs of that red I havent asked around the forums for foreigners that attended ink clinics by sailor

Thanks for the comparison link. I simply stick with Chanel as the stuff lasts longer on my nails than any other brand I've tried. Though I adore the broader brush in NARS and the Lim colors this year, it flakes off days ahead of Chanel.

Sorry for the nail varnish hijacking. Back to the quest for red/black ink as I want a good one with Sailor behavior.

I miss the cosmetics talk from my former life so I'm always up for it Ghost Plane! Chanel polishes are some of the best (except for a couple of the pearlescent "Nacree" shades which are very thin and flake quickly). Although they don't have a similar red, you might also like the YSL polishes which resist quite well to daily wear and tear!

I'm sorry, but today is completely gray. It's snowing. So much for the sunny morning! Thursday is supposed to be mainly sunny, so I'll try again then.

I didn't know you had akane, cyber6! What other gems have you been hiding from us??? :P Pictures please!

Thank you for trying Saskia! Today is grey here too but no snow yet thank goodness. As a sun and sea worshiper, I think I've reached a winter weather quota and am ready to move to a land of eternal summer when done with grad school... haha

If you happen to coordinate your calender with an ink clinic session you might win yourself that dark red you so covet but the problem is how will you get more swigs of that red I havent asked around the forums for foreigners that attended ink clinics by sailor

I would totally be up for a group buy of such a red if someone was able to attend an ink clinic and Sailor was willing to mix multiples of the same shade for one customer!