Sos Sailor Ink - Kobe, Bung Box And Ishida Bungu Help

bstnnyc

Hitchcock is an amazing red. I almost now regret selling three bottles, though I think I still have nine back ups. :P

I think Eternal Blue has a more generous flow than Yama-dori, but it's not like YD is a trickle and EB is a river. It's more like YD is a slow moving stream and EB is a river. All I'm saying is that EB is more wet but I don't consider it a massive gusher.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bstnnyc

• saskia_madding

• Ghost Plane

• Algester

Thank you! PS I love the comparison to rivers and streams because my Latin midterm today had a passage using the same imagery :P I will order a bottle of the Eternal Blue next then!

PPS I came home to find yet another package of inks at my doorstep and of course I could not wait to test them. The inks are: Bung Box 4B, Bung Box Silent Night and Bung Box Dandyism. Let me start by saying I should have listened to you about the Silent Night Saskia :doh: It's the only ink I've ordered so far from Kobe and Bung Box that has left me wanting something else. I had taken it off my wishlist and then I got excited when I found a single bottle available and decided to jump on it since migo984 had mentioned that it was only available for sale as a single unit once a year. Well the most exciting thing about this ink is that it is available as a single unit only once a year... (For some reason it looks more exciting in the attached photos than it does on the page, but it feels very flat in person.)

However, I LOVED 4B and Dandyism. I included the Kobe #7 from last time as a comparison to 4B for anyone thinking of getting a dark blue or blue black. (Both 4B and Kobe#7 have wonderful sheen and are a pleasure to write with.)

Dandyism is probably my favorite everyday green that I've tried so far. I was sad when, after buying my first bottle of Epinard, I found out that it had been discontinued, but honestly after trying Dandyism I will not miss it and will probably not use it much. Dandyism lacks Epinard's reddish sheen, but is exactly the color green I was looking for for everyday use. If I had to sum it up in one word it would be "sophisticated" so I think its name is perfectly suited to it :) My photo does not do the ink justice so I will try to take another picture tomorrow earlier in the day and see if it makes a difference. (It has a very subtle hint of golden sheen only in the wettest areas, but the sheen is so subtle that I couldn't capture it well in pictures.)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/photo2_zps1b6766dd.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/photo2copy_zpsa8717a6c.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/photo1-3_zps1eaed3b6.jpg

Ooooooooooo! Dandyism is....is... words fail me, but want! :notworthy1: :puddle:

Haha that was my same reaction when I inked it up!! It's unlike any other green I've tried so far and yet it's the exact color I've been looking for :cloud9: . I recommend looking at saskia_madding's great review and photos of it which show it off much better than my pic!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262676-bung-box-dandyism/?p=2925259

Sorry about Starry Night, but I did warn you! :P I got suckered into that "once a year!" mentality too, though, and thanks for reminding me about this ink, because I'll add it to my list of inks I'll be selling as samples at the Toronto Pen Show this weekend. I will keep maybe 20 mL for mixing and sundries and sell the other 30 mL. It's not a bad ink or anything, it just pales so much in comparison to 4B that I don't know why I'd ever use it!

Dandyism though, is amazing. Yeah, I'm super smitten with it too. Sophisticated is the perfect word for it. :) I'm hoping that on my doorstep by the end of this week will be my Hougado and SankoDo inks. :D

Sorry about Starry Night, but I did warn you! :P I got suckered into that "once a year!" mentality too, though, and thanks for reminding me about this ink, because I'll add it to my list of inks I'll be selling as samples at the Toronto Pen Show this weekend. I will keep maybe 20 mL for mixing and sundries and sell the other 30 mL. It's not a bad ink or anything, it just pales so much in comparison to 4B that I don't know why I'd ever use it!

Dandyism though, is amazing. Yeah, I'm super smitten with it too. Sophisticated is the perfect word for it. :) I'm hoping that on my doorstep by the end of this week will be my Hougado and SankoDo inks. :D

Oh I learned my lesson now :P haha That's a great idea to sell samples of the ink at the pen show, because it does feel nice to write with, so it will be a good match for someone looking for a more conservative blue black.

I hope your Hougado and SankoDo inks arrive this week too! I can't wait to hear what they are like. The Cigar and TJ are the two that I think might arrive this week on my end, and after the Dandyism I'm excited to try more of these interesting Sailor greens :bunny01:

Every time I see Starry/Silent Night (one translation I got was Christmas Eve!), I think, "I like it, but I don't $40 like it."

I got that one too when I put the BB web page in google translate and I kind of like that name for an ink haha

A lot of the Sailor inks I really don't like would be loved by others. I did a swab of a bunch of browns last night and I'm definitely selling samples of all of them. I think I'll keep around half a bottle (24 mL) - I don't use brown that often, and I've already got 9 bottles of MBSG 2005 (my absolutely favourite brown!), so 24 mL of four different Sailor browns will keep me in brown for a long time to come.

While I was swabbing all these browns, I discovered happily that an Onago-iro ink called sunset is actually a really warm, nice, autumn orange, a bit like Noodler's Habanero. More testing is required, but I probably won't sell samples of that one! :D

Happiness reigns! The Kobe Sepia is a close substitute for the late, lamented old formation of Herbin's Cacao de Bresil! Lovely shading, lovely vintage-looking shade, lovely flow...LOVELY! :wub: :notworthy1: :cloud9: :happycloud9:

Bought more greens and #37 blue, darn you. It's the Kobe ink diet - put my food budget into ink. :doh: :wallbash: :glare: Shipping notice rolled in this morning.

No way to make pictures, but if one of the unwanted Saskia browns is Sepia, we need to talk back-channel. :ninja:

A lot of the Sailor inks I really don't like would be loved by others. I did a swab of a bunch of browns last night and I'm definitely selling samples of all of them. I think I'll keep around half a bottle (24 mL) - I don't use brown that often, and I've already got 9 bottles of MBSG 2005 (my absolutely favourite brown!), so 24 mL of four different Sailor browns will keep me in brown for a long time to come.

While I was swabbing all these browns, I discovered happily that an Onago-iro ink called sunset is actually a really warm, nice, autumn orange, a bit like Noodler's Habanero. More testing is required, but I probably won't sell samples of that one! :D

I don't use true browns too ofter either; I always get excited about them when I see other people's writing samples but for some reason, when I ink them up, I'm ready for something else after about half a page

I haven't seen Onago-iro Sunset yet but that sounds like a beautiful shade! I've been looking for a darker burnt orange that can be used for an entire page of notes without being too intense, so that sounds like it could be a good match. The two Onago-iros I loved from your writing samples though are the Honey and the Happiness (Plus I think I partially want to get that ink because I like the idea of using an ink called happiness :P)

PS The TJ and Cigar arrived yesterday but I've been working on papers and a presentation for the past two days so I haven't had time to clean the pen I've been using to test all the Sailors with. And now I'm going to visit family for a couple of days so I won't be able to test them until Tuesday, but I guess I will have something to look forward to for when I get back! :) Have your Hougados and Sankodos arrived yet?

Happiness reigns! The Kobe Sepia is a close substitute for the late, lamented old formation of Herbin's Cacao de Bresil! Lovely shading, lovely vintage-looking shade, lovely flow...LOVELY! :wub: :notworthy1: :cloud9: :happycloud9:

Bought more greens and #37 blue, darn you. It's the Kobe ink diet - put my food budget into ink. :doh: :wallbash: :glare: Shipping notice rolled in this morning.

No way to make pictures, but if one of the unwanted Saskia browns is Sepia, we need to talk back-channel. :ninja:

haha I'm happy to hear you got some new Kobes! Which greens did you go for? Number 19 and 34 high on my wishlist, but I just completely drained my food budget on the pen and ink diet as well (I like that expression :P ), so I don't think I will be able to get those two until at least Xmas. Deep down I'm still 4 years old, so I'm a sucker for Disney, and the drained food budget always makes me think of one of the opening scenes from Mickey and the beanstalk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7YcMqG1aAo

Lime is a total winner. So unique and pretty. :) If you have Rokko, you don't really *need* Dandyism. Which reminds me - I should sell some of the greens at my table this weekend. now that I have Dandyism, I could safely go down to only 30 mL of Rokko, right?

Also, all my Hougado and SankoDo inks came yesterday. I really don't love Madonna Purple, and the black line (purple/blue/green black inks) are seriously almost black. It's odd. I'm hoping to have some time to do writing samples of the SankoDo ones next week.

I put in my order for two Sei-ran and one Shin-zan. I'm going to let them languish at WRE until I next get paid, so I can also snage some Maruzen and Ishida-Bungu back ups at the same time.

Lime is a total winner. So unique and pretty. :) If you have Rokko, you don't really *need* Dandyism..

Good to know. Really wanted Dandyism, but the price!

I'm sorry the Hougado black line ended up looking so dark; those three and the Urinari green were the ones I thought would be the most interesting. I am so thankful for your testing all of these inks! Hopefully the SankoDos will be more exciting.

PS Have a wonderful pen show this weekend Saskia! I am in ny and will be looking for those stackable drawers :)

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but could someone tell me how different/similar Bungbox 4B and Maruzen Athena Eternal Blue are? I have the Maruzen on its way to me, but there is a MO of BB inks and I'm wondering if I should go for the 4B. Thanks :)

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!