Mixing Noodlers Black With Other Inks?!

stoof2010

Hello all!!!

So i tried an experiment after reading aboit some people mixing inks with noodlers black. I mkxed 1:1 with diamine poppy red, and for a day or so it was great. Then i noticed the bla k disappeared. When i looked at the vial i mixed it in, the inks had separated.... :-( it was such an awesome color! Kind of like when you touch the nibs of a pilot parallel with one having black and one having red.

I digress....

So how come this happened?!? Ive read about alpt of people mixing similar to these two and it working... did i do something wrong? Im worried about wasting more ink to try bpb with any other inks...

Any thoughts on why this happened to me amd is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stoof2010

• tonybelding

• doggonecarl

• yannori

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When mixing inks, especially between brands, there's always a chance that they will react in a bad way. It's not too common, but it does sometimes happen. Usually it's best to mix a little in a vial (like the Goulet sample vials) and let it sit for a while, maybe overnight, before trying it in a pen. That way you don't put a fresh mixture into your pen and find out the next day that it's turned to jelly.

I tried mixing some Noodler's Black with Private Reserve Purple Haze in a cartridge. The cartridge was a bit old and needed a refresh. It came out a very subtle purple grey that flows nicely. It took about 2 days for the ink to really pick a color though.

'How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?'

Sherlock Holmes Quote

-The Sign of Four

I had cartridges of Private Reserve Grey Flannel. The ink wasn't dark enough for me, so I added some Noodler's black and had no problems.

I've mixed and continue to mix Noodler's Black with pretty much everything I own bar my Iron Gall inks.

Never a problem.

Lucky perhaps ?

So maybe it was just the diamine poppy red that it didnt work with. I think im safe to try others. Guess im just unlucky on the first and only ink i tried to mix it with. Ill try somemore then. Maybe sheaffer red will get along with it...

-Stefan

When mixing inks, especially between brands, there's always a chance that they will react in a bad way. It's not too common, but it does sometimes happen. Usually it's best to mix a little in a vial (like the Goulet sample vials) and let it sit for a while, maybe overnight, before trying it in a pen. That way you don't put a fresh mixture into your pen and find out the next day that it's turned to jelly.

I did use a vial. Thabk god lol. But only waited a couple hours. Didnt turn to jelly, the black just separated and floated, given the next day it was just red. The vial looked like oil and water lol

-Stefan

Hi,

Thanks for sharing - even if your inky adventure was unfortunate. :)

While I do not use Black FP ink, I think it may be the case that the ink types were a mismatch: Noodler's Black being a member of the bulletproof family, and Diamine Poppy Red being a 'simple' aniline dye ink.

While I think the rule of thumb mentioned by Member tonybelding is a good one, with some ink manufacturers offing different types of ink under the same marque, Ms Fussy thinks a bit of refinement to that rule of thumb seems a good thing. e.g. Montblanc has two types of ink in their line-up, and DeAtramentis has quite a few. (That hasn't prevented me from trying various recipes, including iron-gall + bulletproof*, but a bit of a heads-up risk management seems appropriate.)

Bye,

S1

__ __

* ESSRI + Noodler's Lexington Grey @ Post № 3 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/223337-essri-mixes/?p=2235528

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.