Darker Green Than Diamine Sherwood Available?

gert

Hi,

Mini introduction first: After recently picking up (or rather buying) a couple of cheap fountain pens, I have had great use of these forums, and kind off rediscovered writing. It is an amazing feeling to actually write something by hand again. It has even given me the mental kick in the but to get writing on an idea for a paper I have had in the pipeline for a long time, although that is, for practical purposes, done electronically.

To the question: I am looking for a dark green, professional looking ink. After reading in this subforum, I decided on the Diamine Sherwood Green - and I absolutely love it! The shading is wonderful yet discrete, and the flow is good in the Jintao X750 with very little feathering even on cheap paper. A collegue hinted the other day, though, that it might not be dark enough to sign official outgoing letters. I kind of agree. So I am looking for something darker.

The problem is, after looking at the samples on Goulet Pens, I can't really find any. Private Reserve Ebony Green looked up to it, but after reading reviews of it here, it seems no darker than Diamine Sherwood in the writiing samples. Faber-Castell Moss Green looks like a "maybe", but it surely is expensive for a maybe. And that's about it (I don't really count Noodler's Zhivago as a green.) except for De Atramentis Black Edition - Black-Green, which is sold out and doesn't look THAT dark.

Does anyone have any experience with a darker ink than Diamine Sherwood that they have compared to Sherwood on the same paper? I was hoping I didn't have to start mixing inks so soon, even though I was planning on trying it eventually. Maybe a black blue would look good mixed with the sherwood? Or even brown?

Any suggestions after reading this long, rambling first post? :P

Edited by gert

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• amberleadavis

• dragos.mocanu

• gert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Mini introduction first: After recently picking up (or rather buying) a couple of cheap fountain pens, I have had great use of these forums, and kind off rediscovered writing. It is an amazing feeling to actually write something by hand again. It has even given me the mental kick in the but to get writing on an idea for a paper I have had in the pipeline for a long time, although that is, for practical purposes, done electronically.

To the question: I am looking for a dark green, professional looking ink. After reading in this subforum, I decided on the Diamine Sherwood Green - and I absolutely love it! The shading is wonderful yet discrete, and the flow is good in the Jintao X750 with very little feathering even on cheap paper. A collegue hinted the other day, though, that it might not be dark enough to sign official outgoing letters. I kind of agree. So I am looking for something darker.

The problem is, after looking at the samples on Goulet Pens, I can't really find any. Private Reserve Ebony Green looked up to it, but after reading reviews of it here, it seems no darker than Diamine Sherwood in the writiing samples. Faber-Castell Moss Green looks like a "maybe", but it surely is expensive for a maybe. And that's about it (I don't really count Noodler's Zhivago as a green.) except for De Atramentis Black Edition - Black-Green, which is sold out and doesn't look THAT dark.

Does anyone have any experience with a darker ink than Diamine Sherwood that they have compared to Sherwood on the same paper? I was hoping I didn't have to start mixing inks so soon, even though I was planning on trying it eventually. Maybe a black blue would look good mixed with the sherwood? Or even brown?

Any suggestions after reading this long, rambling first post? :P

The thing is, adding a touch of compatible black ink is the easiest way to darken a green.

Noodler's Zhivago

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Yep, I'd try adding a drop of Onyx (my favorite of the Diamine blacks) to 9 drops of Sherwood and adjust from there. The nice thing is that you really need very little black to get a color shift, so a sample's worth can go a long way.

Noodler's has a few very dark teal-blacks, like Air Corp Blue-Black; some people count them as green.

Sailor Miruai is a very interesting blue-leaning green-black with a color shift depending on your pen wetness and light. I get a bit of subtle shading, and it is very well behaved for me. (It can take a bit to dry, but I use wet nibs and slow-drying paper, so I'm not sure if that's just my choices, or the ink itself.) It's definitely one of my favorite off-black inks, and really very evocative.

I agree, Diamine green-black.

BUT, the darkness of the ink also depends on how wet your pen is. A wet pen can make the inks look darker, and a dry pen can make the inks look lighter. I have that problem right now; same ink, 2 different pens, the ink line looks so different that it looks like 2 different inks, one darker than the other.

Get a bottle of Diamine green-black, and also a bottle of Diamine black, some ink vials and an ink syringe. Then you can darken the green-black with a bit of black. Maybe 2 parts green-black to 1 part black. If not dark enough add more black.

I think I did some samples of both Sherwood green and green-black.

I will go look, and post them.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Another vote for Diamine Green Black. It's the most work-friendly green ink I've found, followed by Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Lets see how this compare pix looks.

OK, I don't know what is going on with the pix upload to FPN.

The image on my computer is sharp and there is definite though small color difference between the 2.

The image that I see on the forum is BAD. The green has been replaced by a blue cast and the ink looks blue-green, not the green that it looks like on my computer. You can see that there is a difference, but the forum software has messed up the color of the photo so badly that the lack of accurate color is almost useless for the purpose that you want.

Now I need to find out how some of the other guys who have GOOD pix do it.

post-105113-0-15536300-1412050069_thumb.jpg

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Diamine Delamere Green. A more intense green that Sherwood Green, and definitely green.

“If you believe yourself unfortunate because you have loved and lost, perish the thought. One who has loved truly, can never lose entirely.” ~Napoleon Hill

Faber-Castell Moss Green looks like a "maybe", but it surely is expensive for a maybe.

Moss Green is very good. But if you don't want to chance it on a bottle they now come in cartridges. I, too, did not want to lay out a lot of cash for a ink I might not like so got a box of cartridges and it is indeed a lovely dark green with lots of shading. Looks super in a wet pen.

YMMV.

If it wasn't so expensive to mail I'd offer to send you a cartridge to try.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I've had very good luck with the Pendleton Brown "Blakwa" ink mix. Yes, you do have to mix it yourself, but the color is totally worth it.

On really nice paper like Rhodia, it's almost black with a hint of green. On cheaper (more absorbant paper) it's a dark green. I've found it to clearn out of my pens really easily and be very well behaved on all paper types. It's currently my favorite ink in my rotation when I don't want black!

If you search these forums for "Blakwa" you'll find Pendleton's recipe and many writing samples. I've found that the mix can be varried according to how dark you desire, but I'd start off with his 1:1 ratio and go from there.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

Lets see how this compare pix looks.

OK, I don't know what is going on with the pix upload to FPN.

The image on my computer is sharp and there is definite though small color difference between the 2.

The image that I see on the forum is BAD. The green has been replaced by a blue cast and the ink looks blue-green, not the green that it looks like on my computer. You can see that there is a difference, but the forum software has messed up the color of the photo so badly that the lack of accurate color is almost useless for the purpose that you want.

Now I need to find out how some of the other guys who have GOOD pix do it.

Thank you very much, that looks promising! I have ordered a small bottle. As for images, I recommended imgur.com - they don't mess with your images, and they provide a ready-to-paste forum link with thumbnail. Also, they donæt remove your images when they are "viewed to many times" or "you have too many images stored" like some others

Moss Green is very good. But if you don't want to chance it on a bottle they now come in cartridges. I, too, did not want to lay out a lot of cash for a ink I might not like so got a box of cartridges and it is indeed a lovely dark green with lots of shading. Looks super in a wet pen.

YMMV.

If it wasn't so expensive to mail I'd offer to send you a cartridge to try.

I ordered some carttridges off of Cult pens.

I actually ordered

• 2 x Cult Pens Ink for Fountain Pens 30ml Deep Dark Green (CU28675-GN)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle GreenBlack (DM28425-GREE)
  • 1 x Diamine Ink 30ml Bottle Sargasso Sea (DM28425-SARG)
  • 1 x Graf von Faber-Castell Ink Cartridges Cobalt Blue (GV29503-CO)
  • 1 x Graf von Faber-Castell Ink Cartridges Garnet Red (GV29503-GR)
  • 1 x Graf von Faber-Castell Ink Cartridges Hazelnut Brown (GV29503-HB)
  • 1 x Graf von Faber-Castell Ink Cartridges Moss Green (GV29503-MG)
  • 1 x Rhodia Head-Stapled Notepad No.13 A6 105 x 148 Orange lined Single (RH25352-LI-1)

To get as much out of the £7 shipping while keeping under the VAT limit.as possible. Nice excuse for buying more stuff? :P Nice way to test red and brown as well. Accidentally bought two of the deep dark green though. Too bad, I don't believe it's much darker that the Sherwood.

Thanks for all the help and quick feedback!

edit: I need to buy a few mixingTsorage vials/bottles and a syringe, seeing as I'll be having so much ink to play wiith. Som Sargasso in that green black will probably look wonderfull.

And in case any of you wondered, no, I''m not particulary averse to green...:P

Edited by gert

A lot will depend on how wet your pen is, but I have found that Diamine Sherwood Green is dark enough - even for outgoing professional correspondence. But your workplace standards might be different than mine. I always keep at least one pen loaded with a blue black. I have Pelikan 4001, Diamine and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts all in pens currently.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Diamine Sargasso Sea - loved the color, hated the ink behavior. Still have the bottle with purple colored bio-film coating the inside. Given the recent issues I've had with Diamine, I tend to stay away and really can't recommend.

Noodler's Zhivago is nearly black out of all but the stingiest of pens. However, its dry time is horrid. On Rhodia out of a "Binderized" M1000 (EF), it still smeared about 5 minutes after writing.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Noodler's Zhivago is nearly black out of all but the stingiest of pens. However, its dry time is horrid. On Rhodia out of a "Binderized" M1000 (EF), it still smeared about 5 minutes after writing.

My solution for this is diluting it 1:1 with distilled water...the properties remain intact while the green becomes really palpable (it looks a lot like MB Racing Green), the drying and smearing problems all but disappear and the shading is exquisite! :cloud9:

Edited by dragos.mocanu

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)