Morbus Curiositas

I apologize for throwing some rain on the DA parade, but... I ordered the "CMYK" mixing set, and this is what I got:

Document Fuchsia is a bit off from true Magenta (towards Cyan), but not enough to be unusable; Document Yellow is spot-on true Yellow, but considerably less saturated than the other inks in the set; Document Black is a perfectly usable Black. But the Document Turquoise I received isn't close enough to true Cyan (it's towards the violet side of the spectrum) to mix true Greens. I emailed Dr. Jansen last week to find out if I could've possibly received a mislabeled bottle of Document Blue, or if there are extreme variations between batches of ink, but haven't received a reply from him.

I had really high hopes for these; so I'm rather disappointed at present.

post-9000-0-78317000-1420335363_thumb.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• janeblundellart

• amberleadavis

• Cyber6

Thank you for the comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Yeah, there's definitely some QC issues going on with these...the Yellow is so watery it takes an absurd amount to balance the other colors, and the greens are very muted. :(

(Edited to add writing samples; Esterbrook Penesco dip nib on Borden & Riley Bleedproof Paris paper. The Violet mix is well-behaved but the Green and Orange--mixed with the watery Yellow--are both blobby).

post-9000-0-13191100-1420360818_thumb.jpg

post-9000-0-28191500-1420399197.jpeg

Edited by Linda Medley

These threads are always just so very, very gorgeous. You make me wish I knew, well, anything, about home-mixing. <3

Samantha Wilding - She/Her

Owner, Wilding Leather

Handcrafted Leather Writing Accessories

wildingleather.com

howlforfpn.jpg.47093baedd24ddf347395f0535911675.jpg      tangledantlersforfpn.jpg.c941ac36a4dd251dce9724be97255547.jpg   monsteraforfpn.jpg.fe496936918a19c6221b8e79f974b793.jpg

Yeah, there's definitely some QC issues going on with these...the Yellow is so watery it takes an absurd amount to balance the other colors, and the greens are very muted. :(

(Edited to add writing samples; Esterbrook Penesco dip nib on Borden & Riley Bleedproof Paris paper. The Violet mix is well-behaved but the Green and Orange--mixed with the watery Yellow--are both blobby).

Hi Linda,

Too bad to hear about the saturation of some inks.... I will talk to Dr J about this.... and let you Know....

In the mean while I reccomend you to contact Jane Blundell...

She is an artist who made a whole book of mixes wiht these inks

Regards,

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Thanks, Peter, I'm familiar with Jane's mixes--there's some posted upthread--which is how I knew there was something wrong with the inks I received. My ratios are completely off from hers; it's almost as if we have two different sets of inks.

Thank you, also, for talking to Dr. Jansen about this.

(Edited to add: his Adular Blue is a true Cyan; if he had a Document version, it would be perfect).

Edited by Linda Medley

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Peter, I'm familiar with Jane's mixes--there's some posted upthread--which is how I knew there was something wrong with the inks I received. My ratios are completely off from hers; it's almost as if we have two different sets of inks.

Thank you, also, for talking to Dr. Jansen about this.

(Edited to add: his Adular Blue is a true Cyan; if he had a Document version, it would be perfect).

Hi Linda,

Sory for replying this late.

• Dr J Changed the recipe a little.
  • Will ask Dr J to send a Bottle of CYAN
  • Name has changed from Turquoise to CYAN (and Fuchsia in Magenta) for new bottles
  • The colour is cyan several artist world wide receied the same batch I asked them about the colour and they confirmed that this colour was CYAN to them

Hop that the new (free)bottle arrive soon.

regards

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

I thought there was an Australian supplier of the permanent CMYK set, and for the life of me tonight, I can't remember who it was or where I saw the link or if I googled it. I just looked through this thread again, but didn't catch it if it is there (been a long day).

So, is there an Aussie supplier of the CMYK permanent set, and do they also have the clear dilutant please? Thank you kindly.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I thought there was an Australian supplier of the permanent CMYK set, and for the life of me tonight, I can't remember who it was or where I saw the link or if I googled it. I just looked through this thread again, but didn't catch it if it is there (been a long day).

So, is there an Aussie supplier of the CMYK permanent set, and do they also have the clear dilutant please? Thank you kindly.

http://www.larrypost.com.au

And th excellent Artist Jane Blundell might be able to help you there... http://www.janeblundellart.com

Regards

Peter

http://www.larrypost.com.au

And th excellent Artist Jane Blundell might be able to help you there... http://www.janeblundellart.com

Regards

Peter

Thank you very much :)

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Thank you very much :)

Cool member title you have ....

Morbus Curitositas

Latin for Illnes (ie. Mb Parkinson) Latin for Curisity

Curiouser and curiouser is very nicei that perspective :)

• 2 years later...
Hello,

I was wondering whether there was any update to Linda’s findings on the turquoise. My recent sample from Goulet appears to match her c70 m60 swab. The dry time and water resistance of the mixes that I’ve been able to test are perfect. Just wondering if the older true cyan is available anywhere.

Thanks,

Bloo

• 8 months later...

Hello,
I was wondering whether there was any update to Linda’s findings on the turquoise. My recent sample from Goulet appears to match her c70 m60 swab. The dry time and water resistance of the mixes that I’ve been able to test are perfect. Just wondering if the older true cyan is available anywhere.
Thanks,
Bloo

Anyone know about this ? I am excited about this idea, but I keep reading mixed reviews about these inks and then recipes are changing etc.. Is all of this worked out yet ?