bstnnyc

Hey, Im curious if there was a clear winner in terms of shading? Im debating between rk mare and diamine aqua. Thanks, I already have the waterman which is great.

Otium cum dignitate, negotium sine periculo.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bstnnyc

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

Hey, Im curious if there was a clear winner in terms of shading? Im debating between rk mare and diamine aqua. Thanks, I already have the waterman which is great.

Hi gbb, I didn't notice any monster shaders out of the true turquoise inks, but the Herbin Bleu Pervenche is probably the one I get the most consistent shading from. The R&K Blu Mare and the Diamine Aqua Blue look pretty close in terms of shading overall (with the Diamine shading a bit more in the pen and paper combinations I've tried -- in some instances). I don't get consistent dramatic shading out of either, but here is a zoom in of the scan in an area where the Diamine decided it felt like really shading that day :P

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/TurquoiseInks11copy_zps75c2e8f8.jpg

I have used two light turquose inks:

Waterman South Sea Blue: very watery looking and hard to read because of the low contrast, although it behaves very well

Private Reserves Naples Blue: very beautiful and saturated, looks better than Waterman, but the color rubs off even after the ink dry.

I will stick to darker inks going forward, although I understand why people like pretty colors like this.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for such a wonderful job with your review of these inks.

I just started using the Kon-peki and the colour is gorgeous. Especially with the zoom nib on my Sailor.

Lovely inks, in my humble opinion, the Iroshizukus.

Edited by siovale

I normally prefer photos but since I am staying with my parents for the holidays and they have a scanner I wanted to give it a shot and try adding some scanned images that are a bit more zoomed in. I could not edit my original post so I will paste them here. If these are helpful I can add some as well for the other comparisons. Let me know!

Gorgeous! Beautiful array of colors in a helpful order!

• 2 months later...

Terrific review and comparision!

I love J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche! It is my "go-to" turquoise. But I also love Waterman South Seas (todays Waterman Inspired).

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Terrific review and comparision!

I love J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche! It is my "go-to" turquoise. But I also love Waterman South Seas (todays Waterman Inspired).

I agree with you completely. "Must have" inks.

Somehow I'm very late to this party, but thanks for the extremely useful comparisons!

• 3 months later...

Also very late to the party but I'm sure glad I saw this thread. It is a lovely comparison of the turquoise inks. I was thinking of getting either the R&K Blue Mare or the Pilot Iro Kon Peki. Now I am leaning towards the R&K. Thank you for this great comparison/review.

Even later to the party but thank you for your excellent review.

I was incidentally looking into buying some turquoise inks as I have been somewhat disappointed with my only turquoise- Noodlers. Having read your review and seen the images, I've just placed an order for Blue Mare and Asa Blue.

• 10 months later...

Just now stumbled across this excellent comparison. Thanks so much. Now to buy some more inks. I've Pelikan turquoise already but am thinking about getting Noodler's Navajo and J. Herbins offering. Maybe more, who knows.

Thanks bstnnyc, this is a great review. I like turquoise inks myself too, sometimes I add a tiny amount of green to get kind of a teal shade. Again thanks for the great review.

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Wonderful review. I've enjoyed the commenting back and forth too. I love my Waterman Inspired Blue/South Seas Blue. I get sheen! Looking forward to trying some samples mentioned here. Again, THANKS FOR YOUR COMPARISONS!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Very thorough, Chrissy. I'd been wondering if Kon-peki could replace Pervenche; sadly, no. (Ama-iro is closer but still no cigar.) On the bright side, you've saved me $20. Thanks.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comparison, I'm still looking for the "perfect blue" ans I think it will help me.

And I must say you have chosen a beautiful sentence to test these inks ;)

One pen roll, two pen rolls, three pen rolls ... So many pen rolls ! Do you want one ?

my tiny shop is open and you can have a closer look on my website to see my cotton (and sometimes silk) OOAK penrolls.

• 3 years later...

I have Bleu Pervenche and Pelican 4001 Turquoise and can't tell their colors apart. Both are much more beautiful with a dip pen than a Fine Platinum or Pilot that I usually write with. Herbin is smooth.

Asa Blue I would call a blue-teal and not turquoise. I use it when not feeling foolish (as I too associate turquoise ink with children's ink from my youth).

Just stumbled across this thread. Right now I've got Edelstein Topaz in the new M600 Violet & White (which, if you want a less expensive version, is IMO a dead ringer for Diamine Havasu Turquoise).

If you want something that looks like what *real* turquoise (the gemstone) looks like, the best match there that I've found is Noodler's Navajo Turquoise.

And if you want something that is the re-creation of vintage Skrip Peacock for color, shading, and that edge crispness which some people refer to as "haloing", have a look at Diamine Turquoise (Havasu Turquoise has a lot more overall shading, but doesn't match Peacock to my eye.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just stumbled across this thread. Right now I've got Edelstein Topaz in the new M600 Violet & White (which, if you want a less expensive version, is IMO a dead ringer for Diamine Havasu Turquoise).

If you want something that looks like what *real* turquoise (the gemstone) looks like, the best match there that I've found is Noodler's Navajo Turquoise.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I've just had the chance of using Noodler's Navajo Turquoise and Pelikan Edelstein Topaz back to back and here's what I could notice:

- NNT is WAY more saturated than PET. This leads to NNT taking ages to dry if the paper doesn't let it sink in, like it happens with Tomoe or Midori MD. I've had dots and commas smear after hours being written.

- NNT has a wider "shading gamut" than PET, reaching deeper, darker shades where it pools

- PET is generally better behaved. Asides from the non glacial drying time, it feathers less. NNT however does not spread or widen the line like some other Noodler's do.

- Color-wise NNT seems a tiny bit more green than PET.

- PET has that pretty "halo" effect that many Herbin inks have.

- There's a tiny bit of red sheen with PET on Tomoe, while I couldn't make NNT sheen no matter how much of it I piled up in a single spot.

They are both beautiful but I find PET edging ahead due to better behaviour.

Edit: spell check.

Edited by Eclipse157

• 1 month later...

I love these beautiful comparisons of a delightful color.

Thank you to bstnnyc for presenting these hues in all their charm and appeal. Thanks as well to all those who contributed to this thread.

J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche has always been my go-to color, and I've been very happy with it.

While doing some reorganizing at home, I came upon an unused box of Waterman South Sea Blue cartridges. I put one in a Waterman pen, and found the color quite lovely. I'll now have to use it more often!