Lie De Thé - J. Herbin

visvamitra

How is feathering of his ink?

I went through a sample using basic legal pads and didn't notice any feathering. I didn't look super close to exam feathering but there wasn't anything noticeable from normal viewing distances.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• visvamitra

• AndyYNWA

• praxim

• 8 months later...

In my pen it looks less brown, more like a rich, brownish old gold or dark old brass. But I like it that way, so I don't complain!

In years past I was wont to use Waterman's (then) Havana Brown, in cartridges. Liking the GvFC Hazelnut I bought this year, I have ordered some bottled Waterman Brown and added Lie de The to the order, expecting a lighter yet slightly richer shade than the others. I wait with interest.

X

In years past I was wont to use Waterman's (then) Havana Brown, in cartridges. Liking the GvFC Hazelnut I bought this year, I have ordered some bottled Waterman Brown and added Lie de The to the order, expecting a lighter yet slightly richer shade than the others. I wait with interest.

me too waiting to see the result...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

This is one of my all time favorite inks and the one to be found most often in my daily writer. I love the color and the shading - nostalgic but still practical for business use.

Other inks I have ordered have delayed matters by a couple of weeks so it will be about a month before Lie de Thé turns up here. Re-reading the comments here, I am more looking forward to it.

X

• 4 months later...

Great review.

I picked up a 15ml bottle and I'm really liking the colour, but I'm finding it extremely wet compared to other J Herbin inks I've tried (almost too wet for some of my free flowing pens). It also demands a good quality paper if it's not going to feather - paper that's fine with Larmes de Cassis is unusable with my bottle of Lie de The. I'm wondering whether this is normal, or whether I've got an odd batch.

That is what I quickly discovered -- feathering except on the smoothest papers, and that with an F nib (Aurora Optima).

X

• 5 months later...

That is what I quickly discovered -- feathering except on the smoothest papers, and that with an F nib (Aurora Optima).

Me too.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I think I've read at some point formulations of some Herbin's inks changed, such as Poussiere de Lune. I have a 100ml bottle of Lie de The, and while it feathers on very cheap paper, it doesn't feather on anything remotely decent, such as a basic "Sustainable Earth" Staples notebook with fairly thin paper. Definitely doesn't feather on better stuff. Mine's in a medium cursive italic nib pen. Feathers on cheap quality printer paper, almost doesn't feather on newspaper:

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

It's been a while since I've used Lie de The even though it's one of my favorite inks. I don't remember experiencing feathering problems but that may have just been my specific pen and ink combo. I'll try to work this into a pen in the near future.