Best Pilot Fountain Pen?

aussielondon

I have nothing but good things to say about the 78G and the 'Tank', brilliant value pens, both.

My bestest and most favourite Pilot pen, though? The Murex.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• aussielondon

• Maurizio

• Icywolfe

I agree -- the Custom 823 does everything right.

Scientia potentia est.

Pilot Falcon.

I now have 2, a medium and a broad. I don't flex them, just use them like a regular pen. They both write with generous, even, consistent flow (as do all Pilots), but these are one step better because of their feed deigned for flex. The broad feels like a paint brush. I'm starting to think that they're my "grail" pens. This is what writing with a fountain pen is supposed to feel like. If you're fortunate enough to have a B&M store near by you should try one at the store. I'm planning to get one in metal but wish they had a better color selection

I also have a CH 912; it's a very nice pen because of its size, balance, and heft, it writes well, but not as wet as the Falcons. I'm planning on getting an 823 so I can compare, but right now my 2 Facons are my absolute favorite writers. If someone out there has both an 823 and a Falcon I'd love to here your opinion on the pens.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

i bought an 823 demonstrator for over $200 which i really like a lot

just today i bought a metropolitan for $15 ... can't wait to try it

i don't think a "best" pilot exists

This thread started with a question from someone asking for recommendations, but it is still going strong, apparently -- only now it seems to have become a bragging thread...well, fine! ;^)

I have a Custom 743 with Falcon nib and, frankly, I still do not know the difference between one model and the next! Anyone give me a quick, general over-view? (Oh, by the way: love the Falcon nib -- next-best thing to proper vintage flex! Not to be confused with the Namiki Falcon: this is the big, juicy, partially-cut-away flexible nib!)

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

This thread started with a question from someone asking for recommendations, but it is still going strong, apparently -- only now it seems to have become a bragging thread...well, fine! ;^)

I have a Custom 743 with Falcon nib and, frankly, I still do not know the difference between one model and the next! Anyone give me a quick, general over-view? (Oh, by the way: love the Falcon nib -- next-best thing to proper vintage flex! Not to be confused with the Namiki Falcon: this is the big, juicy, partially-cut-away flexible nib!)

http://kmpn.blogspot.ca/2011/06/pilot-custom.html

Many thanks, frogbaby -- perfect! (Are you going to grow into a big frog, one day?) ;^)

The best for me would be a CH92. I have grown to really love piston fillers. I also happen to prefer small pens. It's available in a translucent grey and grey is my favorite color. My only regret is that it does not come standard with an EF nib. Alas, there is no perfect pen for me as my perfect pen would be a translucent grey Sailor Sapporo Realo in EF. Perhaps some day!

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

• 2 months later...

Yeah, that's what we all said. Just give it time....

- First Post: "But yeah, low budget - I don't want a pricey one."

- 1-year later: "I finally got a Pilot 74 and wow is it nice. It was hugely expensive, but it accepts the CON-70 which holds a ton of ink."

- 2-years later: "I finally talked myself into springing for a Pilot 143. I briefly considered the Sailor Realo, but it is terribly expensive."

- 3-years later: "I couldn't decide between the Pilot 912 and the Sailor Realo, so I decided to order both, which allowed me to save $13 on shipping."

- 4-years later: "Well guys, I finally got my first fully custom turned pen. The acrylic has a deep sheen. I don't understand why people spend crazy amounts of money on those hand-painted pens.

- 5-years latter: "Here's a picture of the latest addition to my urushi collection. On the left are my three Danitrios, and on the right my four Nakayas...."

You are a wise man.

6 weeks in fountain pens, I already bought 8 pens - Pilot Custom 92, Pilot Prera, Parker 51, Parker 45, Pelikan M200, Pelikan M250, Sailor 1911 Standard Demonstrator and a cheap (but nice) Platinum Preppy...And I am checking eBay for Platinum Century 3776...

Not good.

For me, it's definitely the Pilot Metal Falcon. It makes both a great daily workhorse pen and an amazing pen for doodling or sketching with when I'm not in class. I liked it so much I bought another and use both almost daily. A close second would be the Pilot VP, one of the best EDC pens.

• 1 month later...

I like Pilot products. I used to us a V5 felt tip before I bought my Metropolitans. Got a fine nib and a medium nib. Great value, great pen, doesn't break the bank and is a great fountain pen starter. I researched this extensively before ordering one and I couldn't find anyone that had anything really bad to say about the Metro. I am very happy with my Metros and the only thing I wonder about is whether a gold nib, in the future would make any improvement over what I now have. I doubt that you could go wrong with a Metropolitan.

I like Pilot products. I used to us a V5 felt tip before I bought my Metropolitans. Got a fine nib and a medium nib. Great value, great pen, doesn't break the bank and is a great fountain pen starter. I researched this extensively before ordering one and I couldn't find anyone that had anything really bad to say about the Metro. I am very happy with my Metros and the only thing I wonder about is whether a gold nib, in the future would make any improvement over what I now have. I doubt that you could go wrong with a Metropolitan.

Pilot Custom 845. Best converter. Best Pilot Body (Urshi). Amazing #15 nib (2 tone). What more can you ask for?

I think of my FPs as my children.

I have two Pilot Metropolitans in both a fine and medium nib. They write really well. They feel great in hand and the build is exceptional for such an inexpensive pen. In the future I might get a Pilot Custom 74 or a Pilot Custom Legance. The Legance looks beautiful especially in the blue color and it comes with the CON-70.

Pilot Custom 845. Best converter. Best Pilot Body (Urshi). Amazing #15 nib (2 tone). What more can you ask for?

Easy...A price under $100 :lticaptd:

Easy...A price under $100 :lticaptd:

If you never owned a 845; you don't appreciate how special it is. I like more than Sailor 1911L & MB 146. It is a true writers pen. The 823 isn't in the same league IMHO. The urshi finish feels like otherworldly material and not cheap plastic or resin.

I think of my FPs as my children.

At this point I own a wide range of Pilot pens - from the cheap Plumix all the up to the 823. There are tradeoffs and benefits to all of the ones I have. Universally, I have found the nibs to be superb. The Plumix has a nice cursive italic nib for an incredibly reasonable price, but it is housed in a funky plastic body. The Plumix is a nice looking pen, though a bit small unposted. The Decimo and Vanishing Points have interchangable nib units, 18k nibs, are incredibly convenient, but the body design is unconventional and off-putting to some. The 823 has a huge ink capacity, writes like a dream and feels great in the hand (it is my favorite pen at this time), but it is rather pricy.

I've tried some of the other models, but not enough to give an informed opinion.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.