Help Me Choose An Ink For Personal Correspondence....please.

Behike54

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Behike54

• ac12

• amberleadavis

• Elyptic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm too late, but I was going to say...

fpn_1412700890__toffeebrown.jpg

I took Kosmic-kowgirl's suggestion and used Aventurine, MB Toffee Brown, and Kon-Peki.

OMG, that Poppy RED really did howl off the page! But I wrote a small paragraph just to makes sure they were reading it! lol

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Since you love green ink, use green ink. When you run out of Adventurine, Diamine makes a number of beautiful greens, including some green blacks and Sherwood Green, which I like a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say the brown, followed by the green. I would stay away from red for normal correspondence.

Of course, you can never go wrong with black.

+1 for MB Toffee Brown. I do not use brown inks very often and I have yet to try MB TB but after seeing the note Da Vinci wrote with it this week, it looks stunning and I would be very happy to receive a letter written in Toffee Brown!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/169272-whats-your-most-recent-mb-purchase/page-108

Hey wait, I know I'm happy to receive any handwritten letters!

That being said, of your choices, I'd say Toffee Brown. It is never too severe, and as Sandy1 would say, it has gravitas.

Of course, my pen pals get letters written only on half the page and in some new to me ink that I'm reviewing, but at least I send letters.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 years later...

I love handwritten letters too. i use black sometimes (normally Noodlers) but black can be a bit too heavy on the eyes. I tend to go for blue for letters. I like Diamene Sapphire Blue and also use a light almost turquoise blue by noodlers called Britannia Blue which is only available from Pure Pens in Wales. Some of the Japanese blues: Pilot and Platinum look beautifully rich too. I like purple ink too ao looking to get some of that!

I'd also ask about what paper your correspondence is going to be written on. I mention that because one of your options was Waterman Black. That was an ink I used (first bottle I ever bought, actually) and put it away in search of other inks because it dried more grayish. However, it only did that on certain papers, I've since learned. It is so well-behaved, that I use it as a first ink to test pens and when I write on other paper than what I usually use, it is a really black black.

Given the choices you presented based on the typeset colors, I would have said black but the actual handwritten page in the Adventurine looks very nice.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

It has been years since this was started, so I won't constrain myself by the options listed. Of them, I think the brown would have been my clear choice.

I think I'm enamored with using R&K Alt Goldgrun for my personal coorespondance. It's green but not too green. I think that addresses the concern about a page full of green ink.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

If it's more of a formal letter, I'd use the toffee brown, but if it's casual I'd use the green or red. Black isn't as Fun, so I try to avoid it, but I say use the toffee brown or green.

Update: I just realized this post is three years old 😶

Edited by Tashiea

I'd vote for the Toffee Brown because it is a color you will not see coming out of mundane pens.

Right now, my preferences are to use Kyo-Iro Soft Snow of Ohara when writing to a family member or close friend and Robert Oster Purple Rock for more formal correspondence.

As for browns, Rohrer and Klingner Sepia would be my choice.

Noticed this is a fall 2014 thread, but I will play. No experience with the OP's particular inks..... but as my pen pals know, I will write with anything from purple, to blue black to green to red. (mostly dark reds like Levenger Pomegranate or Blackstone Red Cashmere or Uluru Red. Diamine Classic Red is for different uses. Heck I will sometimes use Noodler's Apache Sunset.

On the other hand I have green, brown, black and yes red inks. I have used them all. Depending on how formal the letter is will guide me color-wise. I have two blacks - Noodler's and Blackstone Black Cashmere. Don't often use them. If I need something pretty formal, blue black usually fits the bill. Brown can do this two as well as the right blue. A dark green like Diamine Sherwood Green as well.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain