Iroshizuku - Tsuki-Yo (Moonlight) - Crv - Group Review - 2014-10

Lou Erickson

Nice addition, Steve.

Lou, wow those writing look like two different colors.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lou Erickson

• amberleadavis

• Sailor Kenshin

• A144

Nice addition, Steve.

Lou, wow those writing look like two different colors.

You mean on the two pages, or the two columns? The two columns *are* different colors.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Good thing this was one sample I already had on hand.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/2214/1229/4454/Tsuki-yo.jpg

Letter's about done, too.

Soooo manyyy pretttyyyy colorrrsss.....

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

very nice blue. though i see this is more of a teal blue than a blue-black, which what i was expecting from 'moonlight' in the name.

-rudy-

I find Tsuki-yo to lean more towards blue-black than teal. Here's a quick comparison I did with a dip nib that lays down ink quite similarly to a FP. The scan was slightly adjusted in the Canon scanner program to look fairly accurate to my eyes on my pair of Samsung PLS (their version of IPS) monitors.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc203/BigBassin/IMG_20141003_0001_NEW_zps214bf590.jpg

I'm not a big fan on plain blue-black inks. I prefer mine with some green to them (ACBB anyone?). The closest ink I have is Noodler's Bad Blue Heron, which I'm not a huge fan of. Tsuki-yo has a hint more green, but they're really quite close. BBH could be the cheaper (albeit worse performing) replacement for Tsuki-yo, IMO.

So many inks, so little time...

Fun idea these reviews! I'm a bit far to participate in timely letter writing, but I found this I wrote while trying out the ink so wanted to share. Personally I find Tsuki-Yo a bit too turquoize for my liking. I like green in my blues such as in Verdigris, but for some reason, this one just doesn't quite do it for me as a daily colour. It flows very well in my dry TWSBI 580 as written on Staples basic cheap paper.

http://i61.tinypic.com/27yst3p.jpg

Okay, here is my attempt. I don't have a great scanner, but hopefully it will be good enough. This is a 3-part comparison between Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo and Diamine Twilight. Part 1:

post-107015-0-62281200-1412521407_thumb.jpg

What great reviews!

I find it to be a dark blue-green color. I was expecting a blue-black, and this is much more interesting than I thought it would be. Very readable when used for a whole page of text.

In a wet pen, or on a not very absorbent paper, it tends to be darker. In a pen with some variation or where it dries quickly, I see more lightness and variation. I haven't got a great example of shading. I also wondered if it has sheen, but it may just not have been dry yet...

--

Huh, Twilight looks pretty interesting there. I think I have a sample vial somewhere.

Yeah, I would probably choose it over Tsuki-yo also. I'm going to write some letters with it to my pen pals this week, and see if I still feel the same way after trying it on a bunch of different papers.

Please find my humble first attempt at a review.

I used three pens for this review. In order:

• Jinhao x750, with Goulet 1.1mm Italic nib
  • TWSBI 580 AL, with Pendleton Brown Medium Point Butter-Line Stub
  • Pilot Vanishing Point, with fine nib

Guest Appearance by my Kaweco Al Sport with Fine Nib for the Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher writing

post-110039-0-29138100-1412706670_thumb.jpg

My overall views are as follows:

Pros:

• Very nice color. The words "Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher" are indeed written with that ink. To my eyes, it's very similar. Seeing that BBKF is one of my favorites, I'm on board with Tsuki-Yo.
  • Very well behaved. No nib creep in any of my pens, easy cleanup from my fingers.
  • Flows well in all the pens I've tried. The Jinhao x750 with the 1.1mm Italic was VERY wet, but still very usable.

Cons:

• I can get a bottle of Noodler's BBKF for much less cost, and gain bulletproof qualities with a very similar color when written with a M to F nib.
  • Dry times were a bit long for me. I do have a very wet nib on my TWSBI 580, but I had hoped for 10 sec or less.

Conclusion:

There is a lot to like about this ink. It was the first Iroshizuku ink that I've tried, and I was very happy with the properties of the ink. I'm really excited to try other colors. However, for me, I won't be purchasing a full bottle of this ink (purchased a sample for this review). It's too similar to another ink in my collection (Noodler's BBKF) which is also bulletproof (an added bonus for me). It's also not impressive enough to fork over the premium price. However, the color is really nice and I'm excited to use the rest of the sample up!

PS: Does anyone have a good (read reliable) way to scan in images? The scan above is good, but not great. I'm thinking of scanning in the page alongside a grey-card or something and color adjusting from there? What do other people do?

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

Great review and comparison.

Nice review, Elyptic, thanks!

I don't have a great way to do color balancing for scans. Someone (Sandy1?) has a CMYK and grey scale sheet they scan in with the image, but I don't know where to get one.

One of my scanners is HORRIBLE at color balancing. The other is merely not great.

--

I hope to have time tonight and this weekend to do some more CRVs. I got some more paper in, and now have two letters from FPN folks to send to one another! Yay!

--

Sailor Kenshin sent their very nice solo CRV to me, but there wasn't room to write on it, so I sent them back a letter for them to fill out.

Amberlea and A144 sent letters and those got being sent off to the other for CRV magic.

I wrote half a CRV with something, and need to find the page so I can fill in the other half with something else. Wonder where it went?

--

One inky letter at a time.

Please find my humble first attempt at a review.

I used three pens for this review. In order:

• Jinhao x750, with Goulet 1.1mm Italic nib
  • TWSBI 580 AL, with Pendleton Brown Medium Point Butter-Line Stub
  • Pilot Vanishing Point, with fine nib

Guest Appearance by my Kaweco Al Sport with Fine Nib for the Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher writing

attachicon.gifIroshizuku Tsuki-Yo Review.jpg

My overall views are as follows:

Pros:

• Very nice color. The words "Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher" are indeed written with that ink. To my eyes, it's very similar. Seeing that BBKF is one of my favorites, I'm on board with Tsuki-Yo.
  • Very well behaved. No nib creep in any of my pens, easy cleanup from my fingers.
  • Flows well in all the pens I've tried. The Jinhao x750 with the 1.1mm Italic was VERY wet, but still very usable.

Cons:

• I can get a bottle of Noodler's BBKF for much less cost, and gain bulletproof qualities with a very similar color when written with a M to F nib.
  • Dry times were a bit long for me. I do have a very wet nib on my TWSBI 580, but I had hoped for 10 sec or less.

Conclusion:

There is a lot to like about this ink. It was the first Iroshizuku ink that I've tried, and I was very happy with the properties of the ink. I'm really excited to try other colors. However, for me, I won't be purchasing a full bottle of this ink (purchased a sample for this review). It's too similar to another ink in my collection (Noodler's BBKF) which is also bulletproof (an added bonus for me). It's also not impressive enough to fork over the premium price. However, the color is really nice and I'm excited to use the rest of the sample up!

PS: Does anyone have a good (read reliable) way to scan in images? The scan above is good, but not great. I'm thinking of scanning in the page alongside a grey-card or something and color adjusting from there? What do other people do?

Wonderful review; one of my favorite Iro colors, but then again, I love all their shades of blue.

This might be a bit pricey, but you'll get perfect, automated color matching with Lightroom and other editing software:

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1257

If you want to manually adjust white balance, try getting a reference color chart and just make color temp and brightness adjustments until you get the best visual match:

http://www.amazon.com/DGK-Color-Tools-Balance-Calibration/dp/B00AWT2QCE/ref=pd_sim_p_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JACRSS41GTP9S0GK91V

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71j1NU519iL._SL1500_.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia