• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• KBeezie

• Icywolfe

• eatandoph

from the shape itself it can be said like a modified manifold nib but I dunno

I'm not sure if they just bent a EF nib or they remade the nib to be like a super nail.

#Nope

well you have the Sailor Concord...

Is that like a wet writing nib? That would be hell to write on carbon paper.

What is with Sailor's stacking of nibs on top of each other?

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

Is that like a wet writing nib? That would be hell to write on carbon paper.

What is with Sailor's stacking of nibs on top of each other?

no your thinking of the other nib the Crosspoint and the King eagle, Concord is the nib that is bent downwards and then the Fude which looks like the waverly

Edited by Algester

I have a Pilot Elite with an 18K "Posting" nib coming in the mail monday (technically today) which the seller interprets as a "EF". Guess I'll let you know when I get it. Can't really see 18K being a manifold nib if it's made similar to the 18K on the Elites I have so far.

Though the seller did add "A pen point is flexible and ink flow is very good.".

Edited by KBeezie

PO nib was made for writing on soft postcards so me guessing its EF a nail

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

PO nib was made for writing on soft postcards so me guessing its EF a nail

Not all EF nibs are nails.

I have a Pilot Elite with an 18K "Posting" nib coming in the mail monday (technically today) which the seller interprets as a "EF". Guess I'll let you know when I get it. Can't really see 18K being a manifold nib if it's made similar to the 18K on the Elites I have so far.

Though the seller did add "A pen point is flexible and ink flow is very good.".

My 18k M nib is slight a springy nail. Too bad its a M.

Do try it on carbon paper.

#Nope

I'm not sure if they just bent a EF nib or they remade the nib to be like a super nail.

the PO nib is shaped differently that you would assume as a classic nib in fact its ground to be like a sword or so looking at the photos and then bent downwards

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MxJJIwVg63I/Tkmt8UNfECI/AAAAAAAACHQ/xIUdTKlZiN8/s1600/IMG_1659-blog-WM.jpg

Edited by Algester

I received my Elite with the 18K "Posting" Nib today, giving it a soak and clean before I attempt to use it, but it has no special shape that I can tell, just a tight EF looking nib. My guess is when they label it "Posting" it could also just mean it's an extra-fine designed to write into the tiny boxes of postal forms and may be pressed to be a bit on the dry side.

But once it's cleaned up I'll give it a go, also got the Sailor pen (late 60s I'm guessing) with a similar sized nib, that the seller just called "jis-mark" in 14K.

FYI it may be a while before I can even test the nib, the seller apparently wasn't forthcoming when they said they cleaned the pen and that it flowed very well which is impossible if it was all clogged up with dried ink and unable to flow at all (not to mention the write sample used for the auction is the exact same write sample for every pen listed with a F or EF nib).

But you can see from the back of the nib and general shape, there seems to be nothing special to the shape of the Elite's "Posting" nib. (and yes it's a picture of the same pen the seller said was cleaned and flowing very well, that's after about 7 hours of soaking and rinsing in an ammonia solution).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/takeda-ya/elite_nib_feed.jpg

the PO nib is shaped differently that you would assume as a classic nib in fact its ground to be like a sword or so looking at the photos and then bent downwards

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MxJJIwVg63I/Tkmt8UNfECI/AAAAAAAACHQ/xIUdTKlZiN8/s1600/IMG_1659-blog-WM.jpg

What pen is this? How did you get a PO nib in a gold finish?

What pen is this? How did you get a PO nib in a gold finish?

The Custom 742 has gold trim and gold nib.

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

By the way I got the Elite with the 18K Posting nib working just fine. So here's the thing, the Posting nib on this one writes somewhat like an extra-fine to fine, but it's also hard as a nail, yet writable side-to-side even with pressure. With pressure it hardly has any line variation at all, just a very tiny amount thicker due to the extra ink, but not by much at all. So I'm thinking it was designed to allow pressure onto postal carbon paper.

So... does the modern day PO nib behave the same?

Under magnification, the tip of the PO nib is nearly identical to the EF nib. The tines of the PO nib tend to spread less than the tines of the EF nib when pressure is applied -- so one gets less line variation.

To the OP's question, yes, you could use it with carbon paper. Two caveats; first, the tip is so fine that the carbon copy may not be legible, and the top sheet of paper better be good quality, or it'll be cut or snagged by the tiny point of the PO nib.

• 6 years later...

Hi all,

I'm reopening this old thread to ask about a vintage Pilot Elite with posting nib that I bought from a seller in Japan on Ebay. It might be the same model KBeezie was describes upthread. I was interested in the idea of a pen with a smooth nib that wrote really fine, and also of a fountain pen that could write on cheap paper. 

I have found that the pen has poor ink flow. I filled it with Iroshizuku Take Sumi (a standard choice for me) and initially it laid down a predictably fine line, slightly wet, before having trouble producing a line at all. I cleaned it out and soaked it in Goulet pen flush for two days. The flush got pretty cloudy, so I figured there may have been some dried ink in there. But afterward I found the same overall problem persisted, maybe with a bit better flow. So I read about other cleaning options, bought some Rapido-Eze, and soaked it in that for two days.

Basically, the pen will write, but I need to apply pressure to produce anything more than a very slender, barely visible line. So my question is, should I expect to apply pressure? It seems a bit like writing with a ballpoint, which seems to defeat the purpose of a fountain pen meant to tackle cheap paper. (As it stands, I'm writing on fountain pen-friendly paper in my tests: Clairefontaine and 52gsm Tomoe River. It performs a little better on the latter.)