Nibs.com - Pen Tuning Before You Buy Really Works

stevesurf

Some of you may have read my post about a purchase in Singapore of an Omas pen that went less than expected with the pen skipping immediately when I got home.

I found that Nibs.com had another Omas Vintage 360 (different color) and I started an online conversation with them to find out if other Omas customers were satisfied and if they felt confident I could get a wet, flexible nib writer. Well, these nice folks really know customer service as I received my gorgeous turquoise Omas 360 tuned perfectly and a day after I sent in the order. Thank you Nibs! :)

It was a pleasure writing my council action notes and the pen writes as expected. It seems like I've had a bad run with the Italians (event though I'm Italian), with both Omas and Delta tied up in returns or repairs.

Now I understand why so many folks here rely on nibmeisters (forgive me if I have misspelt), and it's pretty logical to get it done if available at a company like Nibs.com at the time of purchase.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevesurf

• jmccarty3

• Baric

• paulmcmanus

Glad to hear you had a good experience with them. I would only buy a new OMAS from someone like John unless there was a very good deal. I have had too many problems with modern OMAS pens...I really don't think they test their pens before they leave the factory. I have only tried 1 Delta and it was a perfect performer.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with them. I would only buy a new OMAS from someone like John unless there was a very good deal. I have had too many problems with modern OMAS pens...I really don't think they test their pens before they leave the factory. I have only tried 1 Delta and it was a perfect performer.

I agree; I thought it was a fair price as is and actually a great price when you consider having to send a marginal pen to someone to get it to write correctly. Yes, my Deltas write wonderfully; it's just that I had enough of the leaking and walking around with fingers of Herbin Violette Pensee :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

No matter what the brand is, I would agree that it's a very good idea to buy a pen from a place like nibs.com. It's comforting to know that you'll be receiving a pen that works and you won't have to deal with any of the hassles that come with getting a dud. Enjoy your new pen!

No matter what the brand is, I would agree that it's a very good idea to buy a pen from a place like nibs.com. It's comforting to know that you'll be receiving a pen that works and you won't have to deal with any of the hassles that come with getting a dud. Enjoy your new pen!

Thanks so much; it really is quite the difference. I'm actually thinking of asking them to tune another Omas that the Singapore dealer is getting replaced. After all the stories I'm reading about MB boutiques and service departments keeping their customers in months-long service cycles, it is becoming evident to me that the purchase of a fountain pen isn't just about the brand of pen, but about the servicing dealer that stands behind it.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

I bought my Pelikan M800 tortoise from them with an O3B nib and I had it tuned before it shipped. I am very happy with the pen and would buy from them again. :)

Smith Premier No. 4

I bought my Pelikan M800 tortoise from them with an O3B nib and I had it tuned before it shipped. I am very happy with the pen and would buy from them again. :)

They are experts at Pelikans and Nakayas! I still have a brown tortoise from them that someday will ink.

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

There is a Singapore-based nibmeister (Mr Sunny Koh) who is Binder-trained. No affiliations, etc. Just pointing out this fact just in case you need a pen adjusted in Singapore without having to bring it back stateside.

http://www.straitspen.com/

Good to know; you should repost this in a separate thread in Market Watch so when people are searching for Singapore fountain pen service, they'll find him!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

I ordered a Waterman Carene from nibs.com, and asked them to make sure the nib was adjusted before it was sent. No grinding, nothing really special, just the adjust and check it was good.

When the pen arrived, it wrote perfectly, every time. Smooth and flows very nicely.

I don't know if they had to do much - maybe the Waterman QA is good, and maybe it isn't - but I didn't have to worry about it, and I didn't have to pay extra and spend time and effort mucking with it. It was a great reassurance, and I appreciated it.

A new pen should work right. I keep hearing people who've bought what I consider high end pens and they don't write. How useless! How awful to have something you've anticipated and waited for arrive, and then for it to be a struggle to use. Most of the stories have happy endings, but require some time and fuss to get right.

Skip all that, and have it sent via someone who will make sure it's right.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I vote with my wallet. Let's see, I have bought an M800, 2 M600's (love those colors!), a Nakaya Neo Standard, and 4 or 5 custom ground Pelikan nibs. After all that, I am still a very satisfied customer. I'm pretty sure I'll be returning for another Nakaya, a Sailor, and possibly a special Pelikan. Just not all at once!

I ordered a Waterman Carene from nibs.com, and asked them to make sure the nib was adjusted before it was sent. No grinding, nothing really special, just the adjust and check it was good.

When the pen arrived, it wrote perfectly, every time. Smooth and flows very nicely.

I don't know if they had to do much - maybe the Waterman QA is good, and maybe it isn't - but I didn't have to worry about it, and I didn't have to pay extra and spend time and effort mucking with it. It was a great reassurance, and I appreciated it.

A new pen should work right. I keep hearing people who've bought what I consider high end pens and they don't write. How useless! How awful to have something you've anticipated and waited for arrive, and then for it to be a struggle to use. Most of the stories have happy endings, but require some time and fuss to get right.

Skip all that, and have it sent via someone who will make sure it's right.

Well said; I've been pretty lucky with Waterman, but somehow I wished I had bought one of my fine point Carenes from them.

I really believe that there is a pretty high (I'm guessing at least a third) of new fountain pens in the price range from $100-$1500 that could noticeably write far better if purchased from a "nib tuner." This is just an estimate based on my own experiences as I have found that price range to have spotty QC from many brands.

I vote with my wallet. Let's see, I have bought an M800, 2 M600's (love those colors!), a Nakaya Neo Standard, and 4 or 5 custom ground Pelikan nibs. After all that, I am still a very satisfied customer. I'm pretty sure I'll be returning for another Nakaya, a Sailor, and possibly a special Pelikan. Just not all at once!

Yes, those are two lines that they work so well with, but I was very nicely surprised about the Omas, too :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Not sure who the Singapore dealer in question is but I'd just like to put a word in here for Tay at Pensinasia - I ordered a special-order Nakaya long Piccolo from him. He was very keen to make sure he understood how I liked my pens to write and when it arrived it was absolutely perfect - wetter than I've found several of my Nakayas seem to write out of the box - which was exactly as I'd requested.

I've bought several pens from Mr Mottishaw and agree with the other posters, his service is exemplary, but if you're in the UK at least, import duty from the US is crippling and I didn't have anything to pay on my Singapore Nakaya. Well worth taking a look.

And, as is customary, no affiliation etc etc etc

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

• 1 month later...

I have tried to contact nibs.com by email a couple of times during the last week to request a change to an order and to order additional items, but have had no reply. I have bought many pens from them and have never had any trouble contacting them. Does anyone know if they are out of the office this week?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That is exactly what we miss in Europe

A retailer who can work on nibs as well

Perhaps exeption is 0noto and Conid wherr you can order bespoke nibs tuned by nibworkers

I mean fountainbel an John S.

Pelikanpens in Uk gives this service as well

Talked to Christina today at John Mottishaw's and got everything resolved. Don't know why they didn't respond to my emails. Will deal with them by phone from now on.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I've never had any trouble with emails to nibs.com. They've always gotten back to me in a timely fashion. I'm not a big fan of phone ordering, being partially deaf. Thank goodness for email, texting, and forums like this.