Rohrer And Klingner – Cassia

S-K

ROHRER AND KLINGNER – CASSIA

Bottled ink. Bought from Pen’s Avenue. Indian online site. 50 ml- 695 Rs.

BOTTLE

15102344147_656b8c5712_o.jpg

Pharmaceutical bottle. Rather uninspiring. Narrower base and more height . Aluminum cap. Can’t see any sense in this design. Agreed, it’s rather cheap, but there are cheaper things with more thought inputs. Amber colored glass is a nice feature which provides photo protection on longer storage.

INK

COLOR

15102134719_b9c487124a_o.jpg15288504002_aab84f2dc6_o.jpg

Bright pleasing Purple color. Not too bright to make reading uncomfortable.

15288916175_8f4e664237_o.jpg

Written with a broad calligraphy nib. We are analyzing this color.

15102337617_7c1cd9ae12_o.jpg

As expected , the color is Purple in the spectrum. More blue, least Green and Red in between. There is no dark tinge involved.

15102330418_b4c02db702_o.jpg

A simple chromatography shows a Purple and a dark Blue dyes as components.

15102329878_c2c86991c5_o.jpg

Diluted in bottles, shows increasing concentrations from Left to Right.

15265868346_3a1fb0bcd5_o.jpg

See the bottle mouth for a golden tinge of dried ink. This phenomenon is not seen on papers.

15288504602_57ca25a5a3_o.jpg

No ink. This is Methyl Violet dye showing the same properties.

COLOR ON PAPER

15288508572_7f373964ba_o.jpg

Fine nib. ( JK Excel bond paper )

Medium nib. ( JK Excel bond paper )

15288915845_c421d1ff55_o.jpg

Broad stub nib. ( JK Excel bond paper ).

15265866566_d581954896_o.jpg

Cheap quality paper.

Note that the color varies with the type of paper. With low quality papers when ink is absorbed quickly, the intensity of color reduces.

PROPERTIES IN PEN

15265871636_3a03a6c2ac_o.jpg

With Camlin Fine nib.

15285752721_ce10d3c4bf_o.jpg

With Lamy Safari Medium Nib.

15288510192_db1661b0ba_o.jpg

With Calligraphy Nib.

15288511622_9d1cd59ff8_o.jpg

Line 1 shows color on keeping pen open for 10 mts.

Line 2 shows normal color.

The color can vary when pen is exposed to air. Also with pens having more flow, the ink shows deep blue color instead of purple.

INFERANCE - The ink is having a property of showing up subtle changes in its color itself according to the properties of pen and paper. The color can be purplish to deep blue.

FLOW PROPERTIES

The ink is having good flow. Compared with two well flowing inks. Chelpark Crimson Violet and Bril Turqoise blue, the latter having greater flow.

15285752981_fda270705a_o.jpg

15288505912_de027fd28b_o.jpg

All samples written on same paper with the same pen. See that the line width obtained with Bril ink was thicker than that of other two inks while that of Cassia and Crimson Violet are comparable.

INFERANCE - Cassia is having good flow properties in pens.

DRYING IN PEN

After seeing the golden tinged dried on bottle mouth and changes in color on exposure to atmosphere. I decided for drying test inside a pen. A piston filling pen, an eye dropper and a catridge pen were filled ( Partially filled) with the ink and allowed to dry with in them by keeping the pens open and examined after one week.

The following were observed.

The ink was drying to a film, there were no crusts or deposits formed. These were completely removed by plain water wash with a little rubbing with hands where ever possible.

The pens performed without any flow problems after that.

OTHER PROPERTIES

Ink is having good lubrication properties, compatible with a variety of pens. Ink staining was also not observed, though I haven’t tested on any transparent pens. No nib creeps were seen.

PROPERTIES ON PAPER

As observed there can be a slight color variation according to the paper.

SHADING

15265872216_5ef315c2a1_o.jpg

Practically no shading.

FEATHERING

15285753521_0f61c31ea2_o.jpg

On normal to good quality papers there is no feathering, but may come out as you begin to save some money on cheaper papers, or problem can occur when your job allows you to choose your pen and ink, but not papers.

BLEEDING

15102141399_ccde2fc0f4_o.jpg

Yes, It may also be a problem when you are in the same situation as above especially with good flow pens. Use a pen with low flow and still enough lubrication left in the ink to make a comfortable writing.

DRYING

15102136939_c3a4505691_o.jpg

Reasonably fast drying. There are no problems to complaint here.

WATER RESISTANCE

15102337107_11876a103d_o.jpg

Sample shown in water for 10 seconds with in one hour after writing.

15102344407_4d4be1cf2d_o.jpg

Sample just wetted with water.

Thanks

Sree

Edited by S-K

One Day I'll Grow Up Like My Master.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S-K

• Tas

• visvamitra

• Scootz

Thanks for the comprehensive review. The R&K inks are becoming favorites of mine, so it's especially interesting to see one analyzed in such detail.

Thank you! Very nice review. I opened up a bottle of Cassia yesterday. This is the 2nd R&K ink I've tried. The first was Smaragdgrun. I have 9 more unopened R&K bottles to play with. After using these 2, I have the feeling I'll like the other 9 just as much.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

WOW - that's some in depth analysis. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi Sreekumar, Another wonderful review.

I had sent a pm to you last week. Could you please check you personal messenger ?

thanks,

-saji

Great review. Can you do it with R&K Salix, please?

«To the meaningless French idealisms: Liberty, Equality and Fraternity, we oppose the three German realities: Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery».

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review. This is one of my favorite inks. I've used it in quite a variety of pens without any trouble.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 4 years later...