Diamine Recipes?

katerchen

Mandarin:

3 ml Amber

6 drops Amaranth

Here is my blend with a bunch of other Diamine oranges and pink-orange for comparison. The swatches on the left margin are Mandarin, to show it against each other color.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• katerchen

• dornblaser

• Tas

• 2 weeks later...

Diamine Kinda Burnt Orange

(at least that was the original idea)

http://i.imgur.com/TogSrAU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4HT9m3A.jpg

Just out of curiosity... why do you add the water? To make the color slightly lighter? And how does it affect any possible flow and feathering?

Edited by TeaHive

Yeah, I was trying to lighten it a bit.

This was actually a process that went like:

even parts yellow / strawberry -> that gave me a very angry looking red-orange

then I started to add more yellow and Graphite and finally just backpedalled by adding water when I ran out of room in the 6ML vial and called it done :P

I'll revisit this again in the next few days.

I'm actually writing today with this mix at work and it's not bad ... just not what I wanted.

-k

PS: Here's what I'm trying to do: http://www.utexas.edu/brand-guidelines/visual-style-guide/color

I think for that, I'd start with yellow and just add a few drops of magenta at a time. Then add a drop at a time of your cyan to desaturate the orange hue toward brown.

The U. of Tex. color looks really similar to a mix I made already. It's not very bright outside, but I'll snag a quick picture.

I've been meaning to get shots of these colors anyway, but it's been rainy for pretty much the entire month. So here's at least a quick view. The Keemun kinda looks like your University of Texas, katerchen.

As you can tell from the recipes, the colors were a progression toward Chestnut. Mandarin was part of that, too, but here I just wanted to show the three autumn browns I came up with. The bottoms were given a light wash with water and a paint brush. The writing was with a Tachikawa G nib in a holder. Paper just a cheap ol' sketchbook (Master's Touch) from Wal-mart, which actually holds up to fountain pens and ink very well. The colors look somewhat lighter in the photo than real life (at least on my monitor).

Keemun:

6 ml Amber

12 drops Amaranth

3 drops Aqua

Rootbeer:

6 ml Amber

12 drops Amaranth

9 drops Aqua

5 drops Wild Strawberry

Chestnut:

6 ml Amber

12 drops Amaranth

9 drops Aqua

5 drops Wild Strawberry

10 drops Quartz

Edited by TeaHive

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to create a few more generic shades of gray (won't bore you with them, they are in the spreadsheet), but today I made a nice Violet that I'm happy with. Pretty simple :

• 2.0 Deep Magenta (and I totally messed it up in the sample ... I was thinking of Wild Strawberry)
  • 0.5 Sargasso Sea

Things I learned throughout this excersize :

• Sargasso Sea is very aggressive, very saturated. Use it in small amounts.
  • Use of water might have been a mistake. I got no feathering this time with the dip pen and the swab test (although in actual pens I never got feathering even with the diluted inks)

I included Rohrer und Klinger Magenta and Diamine Imperial Purple on the same page. The one thing I don't like is the foaming after a vigorous shake. We'll see how long it takes for the bubbles to go away.

I shall call this Sargasso Violet

http://i.imgur.com/Or50WCU.jpg

Edited by katerchen

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I've been so busy with writing lately that I forgot about color experimentation. :P

I need to pick up some Sargasso Sea soon. I see that it has quite the lovely sheen, and would be nice for adding that element to blends. I've also been thinking of getting an indigo type blue and a more earthy red for more subdued color blending. I made a watercolor kit with muted primaries, so I'm eager to try out an inky version for pens!

• 4 weeks later...

and the fact that I have pretty much standardized on Diamine inks got me thinking what other interesting colors can be mixed with Diamine.

-k

If I may ask, why have you standardized on Diamine inks? Of the inks that I have, and the ones that I want, they all are Diamine. I have been wondering if I just haven't explored enough brands, but I am very happy with Diamine ink in my pens.

- David

If I may ask, why have you standardized on Diamine inks?

• Popular, widely available, not too expensive
  • Safe with old pens
  • Huge color selection

Last but not least (and I am dead serious here :D ) : the bottles are just tall enough to fit in my desk drawer.

-k

• 2 weeks later...

Cool Thread!!

I had about 32ml's of Diamine Cultpens Deep Dark Blue...which I do not use, I don't like the colour much. I thought instead of let it go to waste, let me try to mix a colour I do like.

One of my favourites is the Diamine Teal. Below is my recipe for Deep Dark Teal (I'm sure if diluted, I'd get

32ml Deep Dark Blue

32ml Ultra Green

3ml Yellow

Swab pic - the lighter colour is Diamine Teal. (please excuse the scribbles in black, I was tuning another pen :) )

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/FastAsFcuk_sr20/photo1-1.jpg

Writing Sample - (the ink mix is quite dark, but you can still notice a little shading)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/FastAsFcuk_sr20/photo2.jpg

Its been a while since posting, thought I'd post an update on my mixing...I think I've ended up with a FAVOURITE :)....

I kept half of the teal colour, as I like it. The other half I mixed 1:1 with Parker Quink Black...the combination produces a beautiful blue black that is mesmerizing when writing, has a deep blue black colour while writing, dries into a blue grey shaded colour & has specs of deep blue that sheens...the best colour I've used so far! See below...
These are photos taken while the wet ink is drying on cheap, FP friendly & what I believe is Tomoe River paper (I'm not too sure, as the show thru is quite bad, but the paper is super smooth & shows off shading & sheen very well - I received a letter on it & went wild on all the empty spaces :) ). While writing the ink is a Tealish blue-black.
When dry, the ink behaves differently on the various papers (I've scanned the images to show a more true colour as the photos I took were all dark - do note that the colour is very slightly lighter than the scanned images).
On cheap copy paper it remains very dark with minimal shading. (I've included a Quink black rollerball sample to show the colour difference)
On FP friendly paper the shading is more visible. (I've included a Quink black rollerball sample to show the colour difference)
On what I believe to be Tomoe River paper is where the magic happens - shading & sheen is awesomely visible. (I've included some photos to show off the sheen a little better - notice how only the darker parts of each letter sheens...beautiful!!)
PS: I have to mention that I had a sight reaction when I shook the bottle while mixing the diamine ink with the quink (it had thick frothy bubbles that disappeared after a few minutes, which I've read is not harmful). The flow & water test are as per any other diamine inks.
Well that is my current favourite ink...hope you guys & gals like :)

I only have a handful of inks - almost all Diamine. This thread's inspired me, so I may have a go at mixing a few up :D

Its been a while since posting, thought I'd post an update on my mixing...I think I've ended up with a FAVOURITE :)....

I kept half of the teal colour, as I like it. The other half I mixed 1:1 with Parker Quink Black...the combination produces a beautiful blue black that is mesmerizing when writing, has a deep blue black colour while writing, dries into a blue grey shaded colour & has specs of deep blue that sheens...the best colour I've used so far! See below...

I don't have your base inks, but I do have my own version of Teal (and the factory one) so I'll try with that.

re:Tomoe River paper ... I've all but run out of excuses to not buy some. Probably from Dave at Nanami Paper.

-k

I love Sadiq's Teal. I am thinking of trying it but substituting Diamine's Sargasso Sea for Diamine Cultpens Deep Dark Blue*. First, I need to figure out bottles to measure and mix with. :)

* - I don't have that ink and it would cost £10 to ship a £4.92 bottle to the US.

Edited by dornblaser