Diamine Recipes?

katerchen

This thread

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262494-faux-penman-sapphire-9/

and the fact that I have pretty much standardized on Diamine inks got me thinking what other interesting colors can be mixed with Diamine.

Of course, after looking at cybaea's most excellent comparison charts I doubt that anything truly new can be done, but still : experimentation is a large part of the fun.

-k

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• katerchen

• dornblaser

• Tas

I recently made my own mixing kit with Diamine inks, consisting of Amber, Amaranth, Aqua Blue, and Quartz Black. In fact, I mixed up a nice green last night. I've no idea how similar it is to other Diamine greens in existence, as I only have Salamander and Graphite. It looks like neither. I would describe my mix as looking like ferns. Or foggy pine trees. As it's only one-day old as a blend, I'm not sure how it will behave later on, yet. No precipitate or flow issues so far! Hopefully it remains stable.

Recipe:

3 ml Amber

15 drops Aqua

15 drops Grey

9 drops Quartz

The Grey ink is extra to my mixing kit, but I thought it might turn out nicely. You might be able to replicate the recipe without Grey by using one or two more drops of the Quartz. Also, I'm not sure how many drops are in a ml, I just kept track of how many I put in while in the process of mixing and testing the color.

The top image is using a Noodler's Ahab flex pen, the second image is using a Speedball C-3 dip nib. The photos were taken in natural light with an iPad, as I have no scanner or decent camera. I would say there is just a hint more yellow in real life than the photos represent, but they're quite close to the real deal.

That looks GOOD. And I don't have any of your constituent inks. (NOOOO. I don't need to buy them!)

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

No other Diamine recipes?!?! Here I was hoping I'd come back to a bunch of posts on this topic. :P Darn. Guess I'll just have to make a bunch of mixes myself to help out katerchen!

Thanks! I've been on the quest to find my perfect green for awhile. So I decided to make my own. This one is pretty darn close, but if only it had more sheen. It has a tiny bit from the Quartz, but I need.. more!

In the process of mixing, I found 3 ml Amber and 3 drops of Aqua made something that looks a bit like Iroshizuku Ina-ho. I don't have any actual Ina-ho to compare, but it looked similar to the swabs. Lacking in the sheen all Iroshizuku inks seem to have, though.

Edited by TeaHive

Ah. I have an order in for a different base kit.

Magenta/Red:

Wild Strawberry

Deep Magenta

Yellow:

Diamine Sunshine Yellow

Black:

Onyx Black

Graphite

For Cyan, I have a bunch of blues that I can play with.

I plan on using this Platinum mix chart to have a basic starting point for two-component mixes

http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Mix_Free_Super_Sampler_Set_p/is-plat-inkm-1200.htm

-k

I also have Wild Strawberry and Graphite (among others). No Deep Magenta, though I seriously considered it, or Sunshine Yellow. It looked like Sunshine Yellow and Amber were pretty similar in hue, but I thought the Amber would lend more toward earthy hues with the touch of orange.

I didn't know the Goulets had sample sizes of the Mix Free set! Count that on my wishlist!

Here is a half Diamine recipe for you. I got some Majestic Purple in a sample and didn't like it well enough at the time. So I mixed

1 part Diamine Majestic Purple

1 part Noodler's Navajo Turquoise.

fpn_1411236181__dmnndlr_purp.jpg

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

No other Diamine recipes?!?! Here I was hoping I'd come back to a bunch of posts on this topic. :P Darn. Guess I'll just have to make a bunch of mixes myself to help out katerchen!

So, apart from the latest FPS #9 which you have already mentioned, there is Majestic Havasu. However, a month or so after I posted that, Diamine came out with ASA Blue, which is almost identical.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I like it! I don't really dig blues on their own, but the teal-ish edge on that is nice. Hmm... ASA might be added to my wishlist. Or just every Diamine ever.

Looks like my alchemist career is off to a rocky start.

Deep Magenta + Sunshine yellow + a bit of distilled water: ended up with a horribly foamy concoction that still had a nice layer of foam after staying overnight. In addition it's so damn dry that it barely even writes with a glass dip pen.

I also tried mixing Sargasso Sea and Majestic Blue in even proportions, but I pretty much ended up with Sargasso sea. Both of them have a nice sheen and I guess the Sargasso is just so saturated that it dominates.

Diamine inks are so well-behaved, I'm kind of surprised! I haven't tried adding water to any of them on my end, as I like saturated colors. Did the inks foam before you added water?

Diamine inks are so well-behaved, I'm kind of surprised! I haven't tried adding water to any of them on my end, as I like saturated colors. Did the inks foam before you added water?

Yes. Afterwards I shook both bottles and the yellow went back to steady state right away, but the Magenta remained fairly foamy for a few minutes before settling down eventually.

Mixed together however the foam stayed overnight.

I didn't have a burner pen at home (I actually brought them to work, so I can try new inks right away when they come in with the mail :D ) so I can't speak for how the Deep Magenta behaves in a real fountain pen, but the fact that the mix was so dry with a glass pen, worries me. I'll know more in the evening.

-k

Now the pieces are starting to fit. First of all, the mix:

• 1 part Diamine Deep Magenta
  • 1 part Diamine Sunshine Yellow
  • 1 part Distilled Water

The scans for both inks and the result are below.

I kinda like the color, so I'm determined to work on it. The froth went down a bit after 24 hours, but the ink is still super dry. Turns out it was inherited from the yellow. I was practically dunking the glass pen in it and it was barely transferring from pen to paper.

The Magenta OTOH was practically jumping off the pen. It also foams when shaken, but the bubbles dissipate in a short while.

So basically the mix inherited and amplified the bad properties of both parents. Yay?

I ordered me some photo flo, a few glass beakers and funnels ... this is actually fun. I'll try to find the surface tension thread again, wish I'd bookmarked it :/

-k

http://i.imgur.com/MwRi61G.jpg

Cool Thread!!

I had about 32ml's of Diamine Cultpens Deep Dark Blue...which I do not use, I don't like the colour much. I thought instead of let it go to waste, let me try to mix a colour I do like.

One of my favourites is the Diamine Teal. Below is my recipe for Deep Dark Teal (I'm sure if diluted, I'd get

32ml Deep Dark Blue

32ml Ultra Green

3ml Yellow

Swab pic - the lighter colour is Diamine Teal. (please excuse the scribbles in black, I was tuning another pen :) )

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/FastAsFcuk_sr20/photo1-1.jpg

Writing Sample - (the ink mix is quite dark, but you can still notice a little shading)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/FastAsFcuk_sr20/photo2.jpg

A mix set? I didn't know this. I am becoming a huge fan of Diamine inks. They behave beautifully in all my pens. I have some samples on order from Goulet, and only regret I didn't know a mix set was available. Cool ideas here!

Sadiq, that looks very close to Iroshizuku Syo-ro! Very nice.

I mixed up a nice, autumn-y golden brown, and came across some an interesting orange and a lighter, warmer brown in the process of making it. I'll have to mix the other two and show 'em off. When I made the fern green above, I also made a light, matcha green I rather like.

I'm going to need more sample-size vials.. sigh. Because this is just too fun.

A mix set? I didn't know this. I am becoming a huge fan of Diamine inks. They behave beautifully in all my pens. I have some samples on order from Goulet, and only regret I didn't know a mix set was available. Cool ideas here!

The mix set offered at Goulet's, linked above, is for the Platinum Mix Free set. For the Diamine, you have to build your own mix set. B) Be warned, it's addictive.

Excuse the poor lighting, as I took the photo at night indoors. I'll get around to doing individual shots of each blend with natural sunny light later. But I wanted to share all the lovely colors I came upon while mixing the dark green, "Dappled Fern," and the dark brown, "Chestnut." The inks to the left of the margin and the top are just comparisons, Private Reserve Avocado for the greens (looks like it got cut off, oops. It's a lot darker and brighter than my greens), Diamine Amber for the yellows and orange, and Diamine Autumn Oak also for the orange.

Mandarin

Keemun

Rootbeer

Chestnut

Sweetgrass

Sweetgrass II (I prefer this one, it's a touch more.. uh.. green-bronze.)

Matcha

Dappled Fern