Parker 75 Sterling Silver Crosshatch (Or Cisele)

Baric

One of my earliest memories of pens being special and valued was a Parker ballpoint and pencil set my grandfather used to wear in his shirt pocket. I always thought they were special and I guess I coveted a set like that for my very own. He had them for many years, but they seem to have been lost during a move in the 90's sometime. So I don't have them now as a memento, but I remember them clearly and always associate that pen and pencil with him.

Fast forward many years and I'm poking around on pen sites and there is the same pen that my grandfather had! Turns out it was a Parker 75 Sterling Silver Cisele (not sure if they used that term back then but that's what is known as now). His set was probably from late 60's or early 70's, but I know it was years prior to 1976.

Being a lover of fountain pens and wanting something that reminds me of him, I'm looking for a late 60's Parker 75 Sterling Silver Crosshatch (or Cisele) fountain pen, not ballpoint. I have no experience with vintage pens except for a few Parker 21's and 51's I inherited from my father, so I'm looking for advice on any gotchas associated with Parker 75, things to look out for, where might be a good place to start looking, etc. And I'd like to avoid eBay, not my favorite place and I'm too inexperienced to spot fakes. Are there many fake P75's floating around or is that slanted more to the P51 and Montblanc areas?

So any good, reputable dealers you would recommend? Price isn't really an issue as long as it's reasonable for the individual pen. I'm more concerned with integrity and friendly service.

If you have one, how does it feel in the hand? Would you say it's a good or bad pen? Again, not so much concerned with the specific nib, I can always get that adjusted as long as it's in decent shape. What about the filling system, C/C yes? Any idea on capacity? Does the cap seal well, even on older or well-loved pens?

Something along like this, or maybe the Premier version:

http://www.carmenriverapens.com/wp-content/uploads/parker-cisele-sterling-silver-crosshatch-fountain-pen-2-e1394133584573.jpg

(shameless lifted from Carmen Rivera Pens...)

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernst Bitterman

• RyanM

• penmanila

• Baric

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought one from Battersea Pen Home. With a XXB nib. Didn't really talk to the dealer at all, but pen was perfect so I've no worries. Was upfront about any defects. Also has a selection of parts if you need it.

I lost a ciselle 75 I bought off some dealer on ebay, mourned for a few years and eventually got another one :lol:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Parker-0490.jpg

Love mine. Loooooooove it. It was quite ill-used when I got it, but that doesn't seem to have thrown off the cap seal. It's a little heavier than a standard "51", but also slightly shorter, and the balance is excellent-- it doesn't feel heavy.

The only worry I have is an academic one, as on many (with plastic section threads) one runs a risk of damaging the section/barrel connection by opening a cartridge through screwing the pen together; I stick to converters, others employ an awl.

The capacity is about 1.2 ml on the cartridges; depending on the converter (and I don't think it cares which of Parker's various converters you use) anywhere from 0.5 ml to 0.8 ml.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

there are lots of them on ebay, and you might even get one that's close to new for maybe $150-200 (some years ago, a got a mint pair--never used, but near-black with tarnish--for $200 the pair). i would suggest that you try to get them as close to new as possible, again because of the aforementioned degradation of the section threads that results from frequent unscrewing (and you can't refill without unscrewing). there was a very early model with metal section threads, but those are now highly prized and come at a considerable premium, if you can find them at all; i've seen one in great shape selling for over $400.

you can find the best online resource for parker 75s here: http://parker75.com

Check out my blog and my pens

Thanks, penmanila, I had found parker75.com, lots of good info there. As I said, I'm not a big fan of eBay. I might use it as a last resort once I'm ready to buy, but something tells me I won't need to. There seem to be plenty of shops around that sell used, but again, it all comes down to "Who do you trust?"

Ernst, the cartridges are proprietary ones, right? Even if thet are standard international, I much prefer a converter since I use bottled ink almost exclusively.

Parker's own cartridges, yes. Someone will surely correct me if I'm astray, but I think Lamy cartridges and converters can be put into Parker sections also, but not the other way around.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

i can confirm that. one of my duofold internationals has a lamy converter stuck in it.

Parker's own cartridges, yes. Someone will surely correct me if I'm astray, but I think Lamy cartridges and converters can be put into Parker sections also, but not the other way around.

Check out my blog and my pens

I purchased my Parker 75 in Seattle over 30 years ago and it has been my go-to pen ever since. The owner of Seattle Pen wisely suggested that he swap out the 14K 75 nib for an 18K Premier. Excellent move. Otherwise, the pen looks exactly like the picture that Ernst posted above.

You can use a converter or a cartridge. I prefer Aurora ink, in part because Aurora cartridges are compatible with Parker's.

Lih-Tah Wong is the hands-down Parker 75 expert. His website is www.parker75.com.

Edited by prf5

In my view the 75 is the best pen Parker ever made, yes I know that will upset the 51 owners and I love those pens too (I own several). I also have a Premier which is slightly bigger and takes the same nib sections but to my mind the 75 is "just right". Nibs and sections are still fairly readily available. As has been said earlier Battersea Pen Home usualy has a selection of good 75s.

Peter

• 5 months later...

I would take a look in some vintage shops. I was in one only yesterday, and saw this set of pens, selling for $50, as the lady had no idea what they were and wanted to get rid of them. I believe that one of these pens is a Parker 75 cisele fountain pen.

post-117629-0-80607900-1425494732_thumb.jpg

I would take a look in some vintage shops. I was in one only yesterday, and saw this set of pens, selling for $50, as the lady had no idea what they were and wanted to get rid of them. I believe that one of these pens is a Parker 75 cisele fountain pen.

attachicon.gifIMG_0434.JPG

Yep! With a little care, that blemish on the cap should come away without a scar.

The black one looks like something Sheaffer-ish, too, which might have been almost worth the cost of the bag if it is... and that blue-ish modern thing is trying to ring a bell. Any identifying marks on it?

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

Yep. The black one is a Sheaffer, and has Sheaffer USA inscribed on the side, as well as some other information. The Blue one I believe is a Parker 51 with the cap missing. Obviously I would have to buy a cap to keep that one in use. Would you say this set is worth the buy?

Yep. The black one is a Sheaffer, and has Sheaffer USA inscribed on the side, as well as some other information. The Blue one I believe is a Parker 51 with the cap missing. Obviously I would have to buy a cap to keep that one in use. Would you say this set is worth the buy?

Yes

Peter

Yes

What he said. You might consider shoving family members out of the way to get about it (the fitter ones, anyway)

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

Yes. THe Blue one actually is a 61. It has the same arrowhead on the body just before the nib. Is there any particular difference between the 51 and the 61?

The 61 is a bit narrower than the "51" and the plastic it is made from a lot more fragile and the arrows are prone to falling out. The original filling system—capillary fill—is simplicity itself—no moving parts, but it can clog and changing ink color can be a bit of a bother. Many say the 61 nibs are superior. I am a big fan of the "51", but right now I'm using my 61s a bit more.

• 1 month later...

To my taste the P75 is the best writing pen (with original aerobatic filler) Parker ever made. There's synergy between nib, feed, filling system. Truly a trouble free pen.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

To my taste the P75 is the best writing pen (with original aerobatic filler) Parker ever made. There's synergy between nib, feed, filling system. Truly a trouble free pen.

Indeed, I love my 75'S that's why I bought that milleraie to brIng it back to life .... I've never had any problem with my good old 75's ......

fpn_1430164591__parker_75_cisele_sterlinfpn_1430164616__parker_75_prince_degalle