Waterman Carene As A Gift; Opinion Please

stevesurf

From an early age we clock watch. Everything we do runs to a schedule, get up, go to school/work, morning break, lunch, afternoon break, dinner, to bed...all to the clock.

At retirement I think I would like to be free of clock watching. In fact giving clocks or watches at retirement here in the UK is a thing of the past. Bird baths and gardening impliments are popular.

Unless you like clocks.

Pens not only write but can be used to draw, sketch, feel and even stir ones tea. They may not be used every day or week but they are there when needed.

In my last employ the company boss retired (June this year & 2 months before I resigned) and because he had been good to me over many years service I sneaked a personal gift, a Carene Marine Amber BP, into his case on his last day. He called me the following day saying he was most pleased and somewhat touched by it and that it would be on his home desk and used not just put away.

You gave a ballpoint, useful to anybody.

I have bought a number of NOS pens at yard sales that had all original packaging. Sellers had comments to the effect that the recipient didn't use fountain pens and never used the items. Good deal for me, though, typically on Parker 51 sets.

If all the donors think the pen is a good idea, so be it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevesurf

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• Kuscer

No but I like watches.

I gave a BP because after attending many meeting with him I never saw anything other than cheap biros. He used to comment on my FP's especially once when I flicked green ink over a drawing :unsure:

No but I like watches.

I gave a BP because after attending many meeting with him I never saw anything other than cheap biros. He used to comment on my FP's especially once when I flicked green ink over a drawing :unsure:

You could always say you were adding a little shrubbery :)

Folks, thanks for all the opinions; I got the Carène Glossy Red Medium nib and it is gorgeous, so much so that, yes I will admit that I wanted to keep it myself :) I wrapped it with an unused bottle of Montblanc Alfred Hitchcock ink to match and we're presenting it to him Sunday at our Annual Meeting.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Yes, but it was an electric cable wiring layout drawing.

I knew I should have bought the GR when they were at a good price from a certain UK pen seller.

I am sure the recipient will be most pleased, I know I would.

Yes, but it was an electric cable wiring layout drawing.

I knew I should have bought the GR when they were at a good price from a certain UK pen seller.

I am sure the recipient will be most pleased, I know I would.

Wait a second, is that color the original Conway Stewart CS Green? I've been looking a bottle since a sample ran out a year ago. Nice ink :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Wait a second, is that color the original Conway Stewart CS Green? I've been looking a bottle since a sample ran out a year ago. Nice ink :)

No it is,

fpn_1411812406__dscn0222.jpg

Thanks again folks for all the kind advice; we presented the Waterman Carène Glossy Red Medium to JP with two cards signed by everyone, including the Executive VP of the Association. He was so touched that he gave me a European "both sides" hug and wanted to get pictures with everyone!

It really made my day as this group has worked hard all year and we had new members, so it was nice for everyone to take part in something.

He also proceeded to tell me about growing up in Switzerland and how everyone in his school was required to use fountain pens. He also knew the brand Waterman very much and loved the color :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Thanks all, I believe he'll put that ink to use too; I like this idea of matching different inks with pens as gifts!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

It was a lovely, thoughtful gift. For the gentleman, and those that planned this as well.

Not that it matters, but I would have chosen Carene too. A solid, beautiful pen that will serve him well.

THanks so much for the support. Update: he was so touched that he wants to host means a few others in a trip to Madrid.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia