Romillo Nervión

mongrelnomad

Hi rpsyed,

i just checked my invoice and it says that I chose the semi-flex option. Either way, I'm looking forward to getting my Romiillo and trying it out. I've heard fantastic things about their handmade #9 nibs and I can't wait to put one to use.

The jade celluloid should be pretty nice :). I'm not a fan of green pens or the celluloid material, so I ruled that out from the beginning. I quickly regretted choosing the ebonite material as it seemed so pedestrian for a handmade pen that was going to take approximately a year to make. I figure if I had to wait that long, I wanted the material to be really special. I'm no tree-hugger, but I didn't like the idea of harvesting material for a pen from a poor turtle or water buffalo, so I figured that I'd choose one of the woods. I have reservations about the use of African Ebony given how overexploited it is, but I wanted the pen to be made of a super rare material, so I opted for it over the other woods. I was going to change the shape of my pen from torpedo to flat-top, but Mr. Yamamoto had already made the gold furnishings for my pen and he said that he would have to move me back in the queue for such a drastic change :(. Understandable but disappointing. However, I do like the classic torpedo shape so I'm not that sad about it :). I'm just glad that the wait is almost over and I can look forward to getting my pen from Hakase in April 2016 :).

Graduating from school is quite an achievement. I wish i had three Romillos when I was in school :). Congrats on the achievement, and wish your sister luck from me. I know the rigors she facing, and I wish her the best.

The #9 is a big nib! Some people I've let write with my Romillo pens have found the nib a little too tall to write comfortably with as it does put distance between your fingers and the paper but if you're okay with a MB149 nib, I think you'll be OK the Romillo nib. The Romillo nib is just just slightly taller. They really are fantastic nibs, and distinctive too. Even blindfolded, I'd be able to tell my Romillo nibs apart just based on their unique feedback.

Ahh, I see. I've been wanting a wood pen for a long time but haven't gotten one yet. The Africa Ebony, Rosewood, and Cocobolo are all gorgeous though, at the moment, I think I'll be choosing jade celluloid - I love that green. I know, in the past, Hakase used to made pens from Kingwood but they've since stopped. I would definitely pick Kingwood, were it still available.

I hope you'll post pictures of the Hakase when you've received it!

Thank you very much! :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• hawpunch

• hari317

• rpsyed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rpsyed, I'll be sure to post pictures of both the Romillo and Hakase when I get them. Really excited that I'll be getting them about 2 months apart, and they should be coming in soon :). I'm thinking of using each of them for a while before submitting my first review here :).

I did not know Hakase offered their pen in Kingwood. Is there a reason why Kingwood is special and why Hakase discontinued offering it?

rpsyed, I'll be sure to post pictures of both the Romillo and Hakase when I get them. Really excited that I'll be getting them about 2 months apart, and they should be coming in soon :). I'm thinking of using each of them for a while before submitting my first review here :).

I did not know Hakase offered their pen in Kingwood. Is there a reason why Kingwood is special and why Hakase discontinued offering it?

Ooh, exciting! I look forward to your reviews when you feel you've used each pen enough to write one =]

Oh yeah, it's listed on this page, where they put there old and current materials: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://fp-hakase.com/how-to-order.html&prev=search

Sandalwood is also a material they used in the past but no longer use. Not sure why Hakase stopped using it, it's a gorgeous olive colored wood with a dark purple-ish grain. I know other penmakers like Stylo-Art currently use it.

Late to the party (for some reason the notification system never told me this thread was brought back to life) - but so happy to see others taking the plunge.

A small update after just over a year: the Romillo has seen little use. Without an ink shutoff, it began leaking during a flight, and then continued to leak thereafter. I have not yet contacted Alvaro for a repair (permanently on my to-do list), but that's probably got more to do with the unsettled life we've been living recently than any animosity towards the pen. Truth-be-told, I've gravitated naturally towards my most reliable pens in the intervening period - primarily my Conids, Hakases and Nakayas...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

mongrelnomad, I love to read all your wonderful reviews of the various bespoke pens you have purchased and it has been the impetus for my own Hakase and Romillo purchases :). Do you think that the leak is a general design flaw on Romillo eye dropper pens, or do you think that its specific to your pen? I'm a little worried about this problem as it is the first time I've heard of it and my pen is slated to be shipped next week. Thank you.

mongrelnomad, I love to read all your wonderful reviews of the various bespoke pens you have purchased and it has been the impetus for my own Hakase and Romillo purchases :). Do you think that the leak is a general design flaw on Romillo eye dropper pens, or do you think that its specific to your pen? I'm a little worried about this problem as it is the first time I've heard of it and my pen is slated to be shipped next week. Thank you.

I have no idea, and would prefer to ask Alvaro (when i get some time!) before I comment as to the cause... In the meantime you can review and post your own experiences so as to provide a greater subject pool ;)

mongrelnomad, I'm looking forward to posting my own thoughts once I get my Romillo and hoping that everything will go well. The more knowledge and reviews, the better for all fountain pen enthusiasts :).

• 9 months later...

This thread maybe a little dead, but I just wanted to post my thoughts (I will be posting a longer and more thorough review of my Romillo Nervion later) on the leaking issue. I have been using my Romillo for at least 6 months and within that time period, I have had leaks occur even though I am carrying my pens tip up and not jostling them around too much. At first, I thought that the leak had to do with the long nib and the cap screwing on to the point that it was making contact with nib and separating the tines. So I made it a point to only screw it in until the cap was barely on. That did not fix the leaking issue.

The leak seems to be coming from the nib and I can't figure out what the issue is in order to remedy it. I don't want to send this back to Romillo and chance the pen getting lost or having to wait for a repair. I am a bit disappointed for a pen of this cost.

When I mean leak, I mean that a significant amount of ink comes out, to the point that I have to rinse out the cap and clean the section.

More thoughts to follow.

This thread maybe a little dead, but I just wanted to post my thoughts (I will be posting a longer and more thorough review of my Romillo Nervion later) on the leaking issue. I have been using my Romillo for at least 6 months and within that time period, I have had leaks occur even though I am carrying my pens tip up and not jostling them around too much. At first, I thought that the leak had to do with the long nib and the cap screwing on to the point that it was making contact with nib and separating the tines. So I made it a point to only screw it in until the cap was barely on. That did not fix the leaking issue.

The leak seems to be coming from the nib and I can't figure out what the issue is in order to remedy it. I don't want to send this back to Romillo and chance the pen getting lost or having to wait for a repair. I am a bit disappointed for a pen of this cost.

When I mean leak, I mean that a significant amount of ink comes out, to the point that I have to rinse out the cap and clean the section.

More thoughts to follow.

You're sure you keep the pen at least half full? If the air in the barrel gets warmer and expands, making the ink in the feed burp no matter what angle the pen is resting at.

flipper_gv - that's an interesting point. I didn't think about that. I can't recall if the times when the pen leaked were when the ink reservoir was half full or less. I'll have to keep an eye on that. Thanks for the information!

I was very disappointed to visit the Madrid pen show and not see Alvaro there. As he has not replied to numerous emails I had brought my Nervion to personally present to him. From what I was told, he has not visited his home pen show for the last few years.

Read into that what you will.

mongrelnomad - that is pretty disappointing. You would think that a pen manufacturer of his stature would at least attend the pen show of his home country. I'm not sure how to take that. I have sent several emails as well, mostly to inquire about getting a k nib, and have heard nothing. It is kind of distressing to hear that he is not responding to emails. I'm hoping there's an innocent explanation for it. In the meantime, I guess its up to the owners to figure out what to do about the leak.

Same here, I was asking for a new pen and haven't got an answer to several mails (last six weeks).

Now I'm buying elsewhere.

Greetings,

Michael

I was very disappointed to visit the Madrid pen show and not see Alvaro there. As he has not replied to numerous emails I had brought my Nervion to personally present to him. From what I was told, he has not visited his home pen show for the last few years.

Read into that what you will.

I agree. Last year my hotel's concierge tried to reach out to him, as I do not speak conversational Spanish, with no joy. Regretfully I am also turning my attention elsewhere.

Edited by da vinci