bstnnyc

I've been wanting to try some kind of pinkish ink for a while. I didn’t want a pastel or cotton-candy pink, but other than that I was pretty open, so after going through the FPN boards and using the Goulet swatch tool, the eight finalists ranged from burgundy to magenta to purplish and reddish pinks: Diamine Syrah, Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo, Rohrer & Klingner Magenta, Rohrer & Klingner Solferino, J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen, Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji, J. Herbin Rouge Bourgogne, and Rohrer & Klingner Fernambuk.

Although I liked some of the colors, I didn’t see myself using pink enough to warrant buying a full bottle (given that I am trying, though not very well :headsmack: , to stick to a stricter ink budget). I didn’t want the samples to go to waste though so I thought it might be helpful to post a comparison on here for anyone else who might also be thinking of going “pink.”

The writing samples were done on Rhodia using a random steel nib pen (that I use as a dip pen) and a Pilot Custom 74 B nib ground down to a smooth stub by Mike Masuyama (also used as a dip pen to be able to test all the colors quickly). I’ve included a second set of samples on Tomoe River Paper, since some of these inks (especially given their sheen) could make for beautiful options for special letters, cards or notes on heavily "sheening" paper.

PS I would need to ink a pen with it to accurately test its smoothness and flow, but if I had to pick one pink ink that I could see myself using often enough to purchase a full bottle it would be R&K Magenta. Which one of the eight would you pick?

1. On Rhodia:

post-113356-0-21524800-1410678451_thumb.jpg

post-113356-0-87785800-1410680033.jpg

Closeups

post-113356-0-53605900-1410678560_thumb.jpg

post-113356-0-44475500-1410678583_thumb.jpg

Ink Swabs

post-113356-0-49390200-1410678615_thumb.jpg

2. On Tomoe River Paper:

post-113356-0-14481300-1410678674_thumb.jpg

post-113356-0-52577100-1410678466_thumb.jpg

Closeups

post-113356-0-93872600-1410678752_thumb.jpg

post-113356-0-18009400-1410678761_thumb.jpg

post-113356-0-75389700-1410678783_thumb.jpg

Highest "Sheening" Ink Close-up

post-113356-0-70870900-1410678828.jpg

Ink Swabs

post-113356-0-04332600-1410680210_thumb.jpg

3. Ink on Paper Towel:

post-113356-0-24545400-1410678847_thumb.jpg

Top Row: Diamine Syrah, Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo, Rohrer & Klingner Magenta, Rohrer & Klingner Solferino

Bottom Row: J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen, Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji, J. Herbin Rouge Bourgogne, Rohrer & Klingner Fernambuk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bstnnyc

• HalloweenHJB

• tinysnail

• amberleadavis

Great comparison! Out of the eight I own R&K Magenta and I love it; It's less flashy than Solferino, but a very vibrant and inspiring color nonetheless!

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Very thorough review, and nice handwriting. I like the framing device of an underlying tone connecting a broad spectrum of colors.

My taste runs to darker inks, so of the eight I prefer the Syrah, Yama bodu, and Magenta. Guess Syrah goes on the ink wish list.

Thanks for doing this. I didn't know Yama-Budo had a sheen. I've seen a photo of a goldish sheen on Syrah, too. For sheer pinkness I think the Rose Cyclamen would win, but it might be a bit much to write with regularly. I might lean towards the Tsutsuji, but I like the Iroshizuku inks.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Your handwriting is beautiful!

Thanks for doing this comparison. I have Syrah, Magenta, Rose Cyclamen and Fernambuk. I love the first three, and am undecided about the Fernambuk because it looks more orange to me than pink. I currently have Rose Cyclamen in a white M205 (F) and I love writing with this color. Solferino seems very close to Rose Cyclamen. I'm adding Yama Budo to my list of inks to get.

Edited by FayeV

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Nice comparison!

The only one I've used is Yama-budo. It's a great color, and a bottle of it is on my wishlist.

I think the only ink I would've added to this comparison is Iroshizuku Momiji.

So many inks, so little time...

Great comparison! Out of the eight I own R&K Magenta and I love it; It's less flashy than Solferino, but a very vibrant and inspiring color nonetheless!

Thank you dragos.mocanu! I agree; Solferino is beautiful, but a little intense for my daily writers. You’ve made me want to try Magenta in class next week and see what a full page of it looks like!

Very thorough review, and nice handwriting. I like the framing device of an underlying tone connecting a broad spectrum of colors.

My taste runs to darker inks, so of the eight I prefer the Syrah, Yama bodu, and Magenta. Guess Syrah goes on the ink wish list.

Thank you Scootz! I’m trying to work on the handwriting a bit more haha I’m happy to hear that you liked the framing device; I have some ink samples coming in next week to be able to do a couple comparisons that I’ve been putting off so I will use the same format for those too. And let me know what you think of Syrah if you do get it; it’s another one that I would also add to my own ink list but for next year!

Thanks for doing this. I didn't know Yama-Budo had a sheen. I've seen a photo of a goldish sheen on Syrah, too. For sheer pinkness I think the Rose Cyclamen would win, but it might be a bit much to write with regularly. I might lean towards the Tsutsuji, but I like the Iroshizuku inks.

You’re welcome Lou! These reviews are fun for me, so it's my pleasure! I was surprised by how much sheen Yama-Budo had too. And Rose Cyclamen is one of those colors that although very pink I found myself strangely drawn to as well. I could see myself using RC for marginalia or for titles to brighten up a page of notes. It doesn’t hurt that Herbin is my favorite brand, so it’s another one from the 8 that I might get next year when the fund has had a little time to build.

Your handwriting is beautiful!

Thanks for doing this comparison. I have Syrah, Magenta, Rose Cyclamen and Fernambuk. I love the first three, and am undecided about the Fernambuk because it looks more orange to me than pink. I currently have Rose Cyclamen in a white M205 (F) and I love writing with this color. Solferino seems very close to Rose Cyclamen. I'm adding Yama Budo to my list of inks to get.

Thank you very much for your nice words FayeV! Magenta, Syrah and Rose Cyclamen are my three favorites from the samples. It’s funny to hear that you are undecided about Fernambuk, because there was something about it I didn't like either. It’s my least favorite out of the 8; it's a little too neon for me and I don’t like the orangey reddish tone mixed in with the pink. For some reason Solferino kept coming up closer to Rose Cyclamen in photos than on paper; the closeup shot of it on the Rhodia is probably the most accurate of the bunch. On paper, it’s darker than RC with a bit of purple mixed in. It’s a beautiful color but I don’t see myself using it enough to add it to the list especially with the other 3 pinks ahead of it. I would love to hear about your experience with Yama-Budo compared to the other 3 if you do get it!

I'd just been thinking about getting a nice pink ink, and then you posted this! thank you so much for a great post.

Looks like I'll be getting at least three of them :-)

Thank you amk! I’m very happy to hear that it was helpful! (though I'm sorry to have contributed to draining your funds haha) Which of the 3 are you thinking of getting?

Sheen, sheen everywhere! And shading! Pink ink seems to be good for that. Thank you for the comparisons!

You’re welcome TeaHive! I was surprised by how much sheen the pinks had. And, I wasn’t expecting Rose Cyclamen to have any, because I've tried nearly all of the Herbins and thought 1670 RH was the exception to the range with its golden puddles!

Nice comparison!

The only one I've used is Yama-budo. It's a great color, and a bottle of it is on my wishlist.

Thank you A144! You are right; I should have added Momiji! I didn't think of it but it's good I didn't because those Iro inks even in sample form are so pricey haha We all need a special FPN Iro discount :P

Gorgeous-thank you :)

Thank you Mishka! Great avatar photo by the way; it reminds me of one of the Miss Dior Cherie ads!

post-113356-0-21235900-1411350117_thumb.jpg

I loved those Miss Dior Cherie ads! I think it was discontinued/reformulated, but I still have an old bottle and love it.

More on topic, I guess: wonderful comparison! Very thorough and you have quite nice writing to look at. Fernambuk is really interesting, as is Tsutuji, and now I am just super excited to use my sample of Yama-Budo. That SHEEN!

I loved those Miss Dior Cherie ads! I think it was discontinued/reformulated, but I still have an old bottle and love it.

More on topic, I guess: wonderful comparison! Very thorough and you have quite nice writing to look at. Fernambuk is really interesting, as is Tsutuji, and now I am just super excited to use my sample of Yama-Budo. That SHEEN!

Thank you tinysnail! The amount of sheen in Yama-Budo was unexpected but magical especially on the Tomoe River Paper; I'm happy it made you want to use your sample!

PS I loved those ads too :) They were my favorite fragrance ads and the commercial that went with them was wonderful. Sofia Coppola directed it and it was fun, carefree and romantic. It hasn't been the same since... haha

By the way, keep an eye out for a new Montblanc pink ink; I believe late this year.

Thank you for the tip stevesurf! I'm looking forward to checking it out

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for your great efforts bstnnyc, On my screen J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen and Rohrer & Klingner Solferino look s "brighter" than the other colours.

Cordialement

Patrick

Thanks a lot for your great efforts bstnnyc, On my screen J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen and Rohrer & Klingner Solferino look s "brighter" than the other colours.

Cordialement

Patrick

Thank you Patrick! I went back to the writing samples and the Rhodia one is more accurate for Solferino's "real" brightness/color than the photo of it on Tomoe River Paper (which looks a little brighter and more pink on screen than on the page). Solferino is definitely a bright ink but Rose Cyclamen is even brighter, and (with my wet pen less absorbent paper combo,) I could not imagine using it for a full page of notes (though maybe with sunglasses... :P)! The other ink that looks just as bright as Rose Cyclamen on the paper samples is R&K Fernambuk. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Bahij

Nice comparison!

Momiji is pinkish red in my pen and I was wondering where it was in this excellent review. Edited by gwyneddd

Momiji is pinkish red in my pen and I was wondering where it was in this excellent review.

Hi gwyneddd I am happy to hear you liked the review! Momiji would definitely have been a good addition to the comparison but I didn't think of it when I was putting in the order for the samples. I think I must have blocked it out subconsciously that day because I was trying to limit the total number I was ordering haha If you currently have it inked in a pen and wouldn't mind adding a photo to the thread that would be very helpful!

Hi gwyneddd I am happy to hear you liked the review! Momiji would definitely have been a good addition to the comparison but I didn't think of it when I was putting in the order for the samples. I think I must have blocked it out subconsciously that day because I was trying to limit the total number I was ordering haha If you currently have it inked in a pen and wouldn't mind adding a photo to the thread that would be very helpful!

I can help out :) If only I had my Tsutsuji (sample) and Fernambuk (bottle) in pens right now, else I would add them too. Funny that I have acquired those plus a bottle of Yama-Budo since I last replied to this thread last month!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/ff2a917dc93f0a0d7e68ec9c662d6566/tumblr_ndoexcdR3L1qgziczo1_1280.jpg

I can help out :) If only I had my Tsutsuji (sample) and Fernambuk (bottle) in pens right now, else I would add them too. Funny that I have acquired those plus a bottle of Yama-Budo since I last replied to this thread last month!

This is perfect tinysnail! Thank you for adding these!

I really like the color of Momiji in your scan, so I guess I might have to order a sample after all :doh: Every red I've tried recently that I've liked has taken me forever to clean; how hard is it to clean Momiji out of a pen?