Montblanc 146 Vs Pelikan M800

dezzick3

a few colleagues yell out that "it's cheap ******* plastic!!!" when i tell them it's precious resin...

Your colleagues and Montblanc are both right! :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• RMN

• FP4ever

• dneal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your colleagues and Montblanc are both right! :)

I've only done permanent damage by rolling the office chair over my MB large ballpoint twice.

Each time Krazy Glue has done the trick, but I don't think it would draw too dear an offer on ebay.

From the two pictures in the Conid site, they (Kingsize and Regular) seem to be easy to hold for a long time due to the shape of the lower section, which isn't the case in the 149. But given the uniqueness (and price) of the Conid, I will have to visit them before comitting as I want to make sure I can handle one such pen for hours on end.

That sounds like a good plan. Prior to buying a Souveran, I tried out the m400, m600, and m800. If I had bought to an absolute or relative spec, I probably would have chosen the wrong model.

I've only done permanent damage by rolling the office chair over my MB large ballpoint twice.

Each time Krazy Glue has done the trick, but I don't think it would draw too dear an offer on ebay.

What's a little crushed "precious resin" among friends....

Edited by Scribemus

• 1 month later...

These two are from two of the more 'premier' manufacturers, and they are both the model below the flagship pen of that company, the 149 and the m1000 respectively. A lot of people, including me, will not be looking at the flagship models for such reasons as they are simply too big or too expensive. With that in mind I decided to compare the two more affordable (?!) and smaller pens.

If I had to choose one pen, what would it be? It would be the Montblanc, just. I prefer the more classic look of it, I think the nib is prettier and, at least for the moment, I prefer writing with the Montblanc as the nHowever, both are excellent pens for those who cannot afford to splash out on the flagship models or those who prefer a slightly smaller pen.

The idea that the biggest pen is the Flagship pen really annoys me. Assumption is that bigger is better. M800 is the ultimate flagship pen and 146 is a better pen then 149 for most people who actually use pens for writing. 149 may be a better signature pen if you have large hands but thats about it.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

The idea that the biggest pen is the Flagship pen really annoys me. Assumption is that bigger is better. M800 is the ultimate flagship pen and 146 is a better pen then 149 for most people who actually use pens for writing. 149 may be a better signature pen if you have large hands but thats about it.

That's not what is generally understood to be "flagship." But again this is the FPN where everyone gets to choose what they think a word should mean. Flagship is usually meant to be the pen that is the top of the line regular model, the showcase of the brand, the pen they put in the central position in the pen case in the best light, whether you (or me) personally like it or not.

I happen to agree with you that the M800 is better pen. I'll go further and say the M1000 is a deeply flawed design. I hate mine. I also like the 146 better than the 149.

But i don't kid myself about what is the flagship of the brand in either case. If you were to asks the CEO what is the pen that typifies the brand, what the best and brightest of the regular issue catalog is, what they consider to be the masterpiece of the company, what is the pen they want to be defined by, the one pen they would put forward as the embodiment of the company ....

But here every single positive word seems to just morph to "best" or "favorite."

Whatever. It will never change. The M1000 is the bling (that I would argue is part of the problem) it is the high dollar item, as is the 149. The M800 and 146 occupy a lower position on the self, in the catalog, in the price, etc. They may be better pens, however they are not the flagship as generally understood by anyone who thinks of chief, showcase, primary, most important (to the definition of the brand) ... etc.

YMMV

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Also from my side I like the M800 much more than the MB146. And I also like the 146 better than the 149, that's why I sold all my 149's.

Funnily it is not the girth, but the long nib of the 149 makes me grip it very near the nib and it is not comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Both are clearly good choices.

Between the 146 and the M800, I'd take the M800, as would many others posting here.

I prefer the shape and feel in the hand, plus the greater degree of self-serviceability and the choice of finish (caveat: ideally it would come with one of the older nibs - or if it's new, it would come from a dealer who bothers to check that you're getting something that didn't fall through the wide cracks in Pelikan's nib quality control).

Having said that, the Pilot 823 may actually represent better overall value: solidly made, excellent performance and consistently good quality control. I find I'm starting to warm significantly to manufacturers like Pilot, with their focus on creating trouble-free pens.

Having said that, the Pilot 823 may actually represent better overall value: solidly made, excellent performance and consistently good quality control.

Without question many pens from Pilot, indeed the Japanese "big 3" collectively, represent much better values. Value-wise the Custom Heritage 92, the 823, the Platinum 3776 crush both MB and Pelikan. I can't imagine many would dispute that. The higher up you go up the chain the less beneficial the cost curve gets to the consumer, where one is paying exponentially more for only negligible performance differences. But that is what the luxury market is all about getting Waterman Carene, Lamy 2k, Platinum 3776 and Pilot Custom 74 users to shell out double, triple or quadruple for a Dupont, a Visconti or a Pelikan a pen that is only little bit more luxurious or fancier and possibly not even a better writer.

I find I'm starting to warm significantly to manufacturers like Pilot, with their focus on creating trouble-free pens.

You said "like Pilot" suggesting there were many others. I am sorry to inform you there are not. ha! You are not going to best Pilot on value or reliability very often. They (imo) are the top of the mountain. Easily the most reliable brand I have experienced and always near the top in price:performance.

Spent my day back and forth between my 146, my M805 and a Sheaffer Legacy I. Still like my 146 better than my 805 but I am not sure I'd pick either in a battle over the Sheaffer Legacy or my PFM.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I think the lack of variety in the MB in terms of colors lower the score. I have yet to hold a more gorgeous pen the M800 Blue O Blue.

I think of my FPs as my children.

to me the size sweet spot is with in the L2K and I also like home serviceability if need be without paying out for more so the likes of M800, CH92, Realo and TWSBI is kinda there especially since I already own a Twsbi so I have the wrench which would mean if I need to regrease the seals of these pens I can do it easily aint no so much as a hacking some stuff to make a proprietary turner for the piston knobs but size wise L2k, CH91 or the CH912 if I can just get my hands on a piston type MB220 but I'm not seeing anything available within my local grasp URGH

Edited by Algester

I have the MB146 in EF and M and the M800 in EF. The Pelikan has a much nicer ink flow than the MBs and it is prolly similar to a MB F, writes clearly thicker than the MB EF. Both are fantastic performers, but I like from all standpoints - grip, looks, nib etc the Pelikan. Am now thinking about an M805 demonstrator.

And I can only agree with the persons who write that japanese pens crush MB and Pelikan in value for money, especially if you buy them directly from Japan. My Custom 92 FM is clearly in terms of writing performance at the level of MB146 or Pelikan M800. If only I could find a thicker version of it...

Edited by Pen_Noob

What's a little crushed "precious resin" among friends....

I hear if you grind it up and snort it, it's the ultimate high!!!

Regarding the Pilot Custom 823, I wholeheartedly agree with the two previous posters. Even though I am not even very fond of the design, in particular the ball on the end of the clip, I own two of them, the clear demonstrator and the smoke version. It is that good, especially when you bear in mind how much cheaper it is compared to its two German competitors.

+1 , but I have only the Pelikan M 600 and the MB 149, so I can't compare! Anyway I appreciate a lot my German FPs and particularly my two Lamy 2000, makrolon and stainless steel, the two in EF!

• 2 weeks later...

This comparison is flawed. While it is true that these two pens sit just under the biggest pens these two companies made they are size wise not comparable. MB146 and M600 would be more appropriate comparison.

Just as a note, it really annoys me when people call M1000 and 149 flagship pens. By definition flagship means "the best or most important thing owned or produced by a particular organization." Neither of these two pens are either the best or most important pens by these two companies.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I have German/American and Japanese pens. My MB 149 is an older one with a very nice nib on it. I have a couple M800's that are early models of that one, and also lovely writes. I also have a couple Sailor 1911 L's (smoothest nibs i own) and a couple Pilot 742/743 (i.e., Black-gold trim cigar shapes :) ) with soft nibs. Like them (and the Sailors) as to writing experience more than either of the Teutonic models.

Like em all. That said:

The Sheaffer Balance in 1928 (including a black/gold number) was i think the origin of the "cigar shape" fountain pen. Over the years since, nearly every brand has used that shape, often with gold furniture. I think that was part of the courts reasoning years ago, when Montblanc sued Sailor, and lost.

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

• 7 months later...

I just read this entire thread. Does that qualify me for a medal?

I see references to one pen being smoother than the other or one pen being wetter than the other. In my experience, it is so easy to adjust the smoothness and the wetness of fountain pens that such comparisons are not important.

I've seen people compare kitchen knives and say "X is sharper than Y". But give me a few minutes with Y, and you'll agree it's just a sharp as X.

Another way to say this is that smoothness and wetness are not inherent in the make and model of the pen. They are the result of the tuning of that particular pen. If you prefer the design of pen X but prefer the wetness of pen Y, buy the pen with the preferred design. Then tune it to your desired wetness.

Regards,

Alan

Edited by Precise

The 146. Pels just feel too broad (and this is coming from a woman who likes a broad line). And, another strange thing to say, the Pels are just so smooth they are (forgive me) boring. the 146 gives me enough road feel so that I stay alert, the line is broad but manageable. I love the special looks that Pelikan comes up with (Cafe Creme for instance, and the White Tortoise).

I don't have an M800 but I don't think I would want one. I just prefer to squander my money on Mb.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I have both an M800 (brown tortoise with B nib) and a 146 (B nib). The nibs on both are exquisite. The Pelikan nib was very firm and smooth--I had it ground to a CI by Richard Binder and it is now one of my favorite nibs. The 146 came with a springy B nib that is delightful. Out of the box I definitely prefer the Montblanc nib.

It's the girth and balance of the two pens that makes the difference to me. The Pelikan is so back heavy I would probably sell it if the nib weren't so great. The weight and balance of the 146 is perfect for me.