Montblanc 146 Vs Pelikan M800

dezzick3

ya, i regret writing it, it was sunday morning and i felt comedic. i don't know. maybe it was a manifestation of my envy toward his beautiful possessions. or that after such a thoughful review and sharp pictures, i got shocked into writing that reply. that handwriting was like a bad nightmare in a sense, coming after such amazing writing instruments. i'm definitely talking myself out of that intended apology right here, so i'll just drop it.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• RMN

• FP4ever

• dneal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally I prefer the smoother rounded lines of the Montblanc over the sharper edged Pelikan. The engraving on the MB nib is deeper cut and more defined than the Pelikans. Aestheticaly the MB looks and feels a little more refined. The Pelikan's piston filler is the smoothest and nicest in the industry. But this is splitting hairs between two very remarkable brands.

The MB is obviously an excellent pen. But it is nothing original. I believe Sailor and some other brands have a classic looking cigar shape pen... At better prices....

If you don't mind the hommage to Montblanc nature of certain Sailor pens, then I guess the money you save going with a wannabe might be worth it.

I am also one of those lucky guys who have both of them. An M and an OB for the 146, and a B with italic customization by Pendemonium for the M800 (blue stripes for mine).

For me, the M800 is the winner by far. It is a heavy and perfectly balanced FP, the nib is out of this world and it is not that eye catching as the white star on top of the MB.

I know that I am comparing a customized nib with 2 nibs which are "out the box", but it has been my experience with them. In the other hand, I have an M600, customized by Richard Binder, from a BB nib. Because it is all plastic inside, it feels too much light, almost cheap. It is not a matter of the customization but of the construction itself. In that field, my M800 looks sturdier than the MB

I would love to try OBB in the 146, and an 149. Still looking for them.

The pens are both excellent writers, with large ink capacity, nice nibs and in their own way classic styling. For me the M800 is a winner on two counts, the nib just unscrews and I can open the piston then grease it with a TWSBI wrench. For MB its $75 and 2 weeks in the shop. That drives down the utility of the MB146.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

If you don't mind the hommage to Montblanc nature of certain Sailor pens, then I guess the money you save going with a wannabe might be worth it.

Maybe Sailor is paying homage to Omas or Sheaffer, who predate Montblanc with that general design. My 1911L is a much better writer than my 146; and strangely enough, even less of a nail. I would recommend one over a 146, unless somebody just had to have a piston mechanism or snowflake.

But to the topic - it's a Ford/Chevy tossup (or maybe a BMW/Mercedes tossup... ;) ).

My 800s have always been buttery smooth, very wet nails. Finally got the Tortoise in yesterday, and it's no different. For construction, I think the Pelikan wins hands down. The removable nib and piston is brilliant. I like the aesthetics of their pens as well. I prefer the striated versions, and think that says "Pelikan" much more than the all-black.

The 146 is a pretty lady in a sexy black dress. Her "personality" may or may not be what you imagined, and they vary by specific example; but she'll always draw looks. The feeder case is in the top 5 dumbest pen designs ever. If it leaks, it comes straight to your fingertips and all over the section. You usually discover this when you remove the cap and have written 1/2 a page. I hate that it takes a special tool to get it apart. Nibs vary, and as I noted above my (late 80's) 146 is a nail.

The main differences I feel in hand are the section and the end of the barrel. The 800 has a slight curvature, but there's a step between it and the threads that can be clearly felt. I prefer the 146's section. I also prefer the gentle taper of the 146 at the piston end, and it seems to rest better in the webbing between my thumb and index finger. These differences are very, very minor though, and both pens stay in rotation.

Yea I've had the feeder case replaced twice by the mb service centre, the second time being part of their required level 1 servicing.

That is exactly what happens- you start writing and you get ink all over your fingers because the section is full of ink .

Section sealant made from rosin and castor oil seems to have cured mine from leaking. Gave it a spin when I discovered the used 146 I bought had been "sealed" with teflon tape. If the 149 ever leaks, I'll use the rosin mix instead of sending it to MB.

Maybe Sailor is paying homage to Omas or Sheaffer, who predate Montblanc with that general design. My 1911L is a much better writer than my 146; and strangely enough, even less of a nail. I would recommend one over a 146, unless somebody just had to have a piston mechanism or snowflake.

Those wonderful sailor nibs sure are trying hard to look like Montblanc.

[/url]">http://https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1420169752__sailor_and_montblanc_nib.jpg'>fpn_1420169752__sailor_and_montblanc_nib

The point is Sailor has to pay homage to someone else instead of coming up with an original design they can proudly call their own. They make great performing nibs and inks, but fall flat when it comes to creativity. Would rather have a leaky Montblanc than a pen trying to pretend to be a Montblanc.

The point is that the design did not originate with Montblanc. If you're going to discredit a company for "stealing" a design, at least be consistent in your assertions.

do I need to start calling my 146 a Sheaffer Balance copy and my m800 a Sheaffer flatop copy?

:D

Edited by zchen

Well, Pelikan has been pretty consistent in their designs. But you can call the Montblanc an Omas clone, just to keep it continental... ;)

The Sailor 1911 line is certainly inspired by the MB Meisterstuck line. That said, the 1911 line has a complete life of its own. It has much more color and design variety. It's only close to appearance to a MB is you opt for a non pro gear model in the exact same color configuration as a MB 146. Even then, there are design and labeling differences. There is no crime being committed. It's not a counterfeit. Move on.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

The Sailor 1911 line is certainly inspired by the MB Meisterstuck line. That said, the 1911 line has a complete life of its own. It has much more color and design variety. It's only close to appearance to a MB is you opt for a non pro gear model in the exact same color configuration as a MB 146. Even then, there are design and labeling differences. There is no crime being committed. It's not a counterfeit. Move on.

yeah, like tacky, overly yellow gold and unbuffed mold lines.

the 1911 strikes me as a nod to necessity much in the same way that Porsche makes the Cayenne to appease the lower upper class soccer moms. Sailor saves the good manufacturing and design for the KoP line, and gives everyone else the sensible, affordable version of the 146.

I continue to fail to understand how people can miss the point with these pens. Sure the 1911 writes well; so does anything if the operator can find the courage to apply 5 dollars worth of abrasives to a nib in the correct order without hamfisting it.

the 1911 is not a counterfeit but boy it sure pushes the envelope. telling the the two apart legitimately requires experience; people have lost court cases in the US for that. the idea that it could cause confusion to a lay person is a frequent basis for lawsuits, and may of them win.

I see a lot of $2 souvenir black and gold trimmed cigar shaped ball point pens in gift shops made to look like a certain prestigous pen so they can sell more of them.

Yes, they left out the white star, so it's not illegal. Let's move on.

Would rather have a leaky Montblanc than a pen trying to pretend to be a Montblanc.

That is very very harsh. The cigar and flatop shapes are universal and with good reason. Almost every company makes one or both. Pilot, Sailor, Pelikan, Aurora, Platinum ...

Moreover, anyone with a little bit of FP knowledge should have no trouble telling them apart.

I would much rather buy multiple, so called copies, than a MB. These pens are extremely good and extremely good value for money.

By the way, imho, the sailor ebonite KOP is perhaps the best looking cigar pen there is...

That is very very harsh. The cigar and flatop shapes are universal and with good reason. Almost every company makes one or both. Pilot, Sailor, Pelikan, Aurora, Platinum ...

Moreover, anyone with a little bit of FP knowledge should have no trouble telling them apart.

I would much rather buy multiple, so called copies, than a MB. These pens are extremely good and extremely good value for money.

By the way, imho, the sailor ebonite KOP is perhaps the best looking cigar pen there is...

I'm not just talking about the cigar shape here. Yes the cigar shape pre-dates Montblanc.

Look at the nib pictures on my previous post. Sailor has gone out of their way to even make their nibs look like Montblanc. I can't help but come to a conclusion that Sailor want their pens to resemble a Montblanc. I have nothing against Sailor. I love their nibs that appear on the Cross Verve, but just pointing out a fact in response to suggestions by some that Sailor offers better value than Montblanc because they cost less for a similar design.

Edited by max dog

I'm not just talking about the cigar shape here. Yes the cigar shape pre-dates Montblanc.

Look at the nib pictures on my previous post. Sailor has gone out of their way to even make their nibs look like Montblanc. I can't help but come to a conclusion that Sailor want their pens to resemble a Montblanc. I have nothing against Sailor. I love their nibs that appear on the Cross Verve, but just pointing out a fact in response to suggestions by some that Sailor offers better value than Montblanc because they cost less for a similar design.

Sorry, Max Dog, but the Verve nibs are Pilot/Namiki.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

the problem is that people without it can't.

tell you what if you come up with a nice refinement of something, I'll slightly modify your design so that if some random person were in a store with no knowledge they might buy mine thinking it's yours, since mine will be lower priced and look close enough they don't know which is which. thanks for doing all the work for me.

the problem is that people without it can't.

tell you what if you come up with a nice refinement of something, I'll slightly modify your design so that if some random person were in a store with no knowledge they might buy mine thinking it's yours, since mine will be lower priced and look close enough they don't know which is which. thanks for doing all the work for me.

Yeah I agree that they are close. But I don't think many people would be mistaken. For one it is significantly easier to buy a MB than it is to get a Sailor at a B&M.