Franklin-Christoph Model 02 Intrinsic With Music Nib

dms525

F-C%2Breview001.jpg

Franklin-Christoph%2B9-11-14%2B-%2B2.jpg

F-C%2Breview002.jpg

Franklin-Christoph%2B9-11-14%2B-%2B1.jpg

The Model 02 "Instrinsic" can be ordered with a number of finished. This is black with a "Cherry" finial. The unusual tapering of the barrel can be seen better when the pen is un-capped ...

Franklin-Christoph%2B9-11-14%2B-%2B5.jpg

With an average-sized hand (mine) and a normal pen grip (mine), the thin portion of the barrel rests in the web between thumb and index finger. It is comfortable to hold and write with, although my personal preference would be for a thicker barrel. (A Model 19 may be in my future.) Where the rational for this shape becomes clear is when the pen is posted ...

Franklin-Christoph%2B9-11-14%2B-%2B3.jpg

Now you see that the pen posts deeply, and, in this configuration, it is the thicker cap of the pen that rests in the web between thumb and index finger, which is much more comfortable. What cannot be seen but should be appreciated is that this shape also determines that the pen is equally well-balenced (in my opinion) both when un-posted and when posted.

I purchased this pen with a JoWo Steel 1.1 mm Italic nib as well as the 1.9 mm music nib. Both nibs write very smoothly - almost too smoothly for optimal control. I have been using this pen for a couple weeks now, and am accommodating to its smoothness. It should be noted for those not aware of it already that the #6 and #5 JoWo nibs can be shared between Franklin-Christoph, Edison and, I believe, some other makes of pens that use them. So, for example, I have a couple Edison nibs in other widths (Fine and 1.5 mm Italic) which I could use on the F-C nib. Likewise, I could use the F-C Music nib on one of my Edison pens. I see that as a very positive benefit.

This pen is quite light but looks and feels like a high quality writing instrument. I can find no fault in the fit or finish. I would not hesitate to recommend it to some one moving beyond entry-level pens but not yet ready to spend 4, 5, 6 hundred dollars or more on a fountain pen. And, as the asking prices for some of my own favorite, top tier pens approach ridiculous heights, pens like the Edisons and Franklin-Christophs become even more attractive options.

David

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• tinta

• senzen

• Bemo

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks David.

I am not an italic script writer, per se, but a user of edged nibs (0.8-1.1mm) for my large, awkward semi-cursive writing.

Do you know if just the 1.9 mm music nib alone could be sourced through Franklin-Christoph?

I already use a F-C Mod. #03 with an 18K BB stub & an Edison Pearl with a stainless Pendleton.1.1mm stub. This F-C music nib would be a welcome addition to either pen.

If it would not have been for the thicker grip on the Intrinsic, I would have got your Mod. #02 instead of my Iterum.

You have a beautiful hand & pen as well.

Enjoy!

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Interesting pen, and great review! Really appreciate your clear handwriting. What's that blue ink? It just jumps out of my monitor.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Purchased my second 02 and also have an 03. Big fan of their pens. I'm intrigued by the music nib but don't think my handwriting would do it justice.

Thanks David.

I am not an italic script writer, per se, but a user of edged nibs (0.8-1.1mm) for my large, awkward semi-cursive writing.

Do you know if just the 1.9 mm music nib alone could be sourced through Franklin-Christoph?

I already use a F-C Mod. #03 with an 18K BB stub & an Edison Pearl with a stainless Pendleton.1.1mm stub. This F-C music nib would be a welcome addition to either pen.

If it would not have been for the thicker grip on the Intrinsic, I would have got your Mod. #02 instead of my Iterum.

You have a beautiful hand & pen as well.

Enjoy!

Thanks, Tinta.

F-C sells a full range of round and italic nibs in Stainless Steel and in gold. In the Steel Italics they sell 1.1, 1.5 and the 1.9 mm widths. They also have gold nibs and a range of nibs custom ground by Michael Masuyama. You need to visit their web site to get the full picture.

I hope that addressed your question.

David

Interesting pen, and great review! Really appreciate your clear handwriting. What's that blue ink? It just jumps out of my monitor.

Thanks, pseudo88.

That exotic jumping blue ink is .... ready for this? ... Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

Inks can really have a different character, depending on the nib, can't they?

David

Thank you for this review David - it was really helpful.

Interesting bit about the ink. I too was recent asked about the lovely blue ink in one of my pens filled with Quink Blue Black :-)

Salman

Thanks, pseudo88.

That exotic jumping blue ink is .... ready for this? ... Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue.

Inks can really have a different character, depending on the nib, can't they?

David

I should clarify: The text in blue ink was not written with the F-C nib being reviewed. It was written with an Aurora factory italic nib. That is an even more amazing nib, in some respects, but a different topic.

David

Edited by dms525

Thanks again David, my F-C 1.9 MS nib is on its way.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

1.9mm sounds very broad compared to music nibs I have read of. Is the nib tipped? Is the general view that three tines automatically equals music nib?

Kind regards,

Timothy

1.9mm sounds very broad compared to music nibs I have read of. Is the nib tipped? Is the general view that three tines automatically equals music nib?

Kind regards,

Timothy

No question. This is a broad nib. I cannot comment on the width of other "music" nibs. Most I've seen do have 3 tines, but I don't think that is required by definition. My impression is that that is a means of increasing ink flow. A generous ink flow does seem to be characteristic, if not part of the definition of a music nib.

David

When I talked to F-C yesterday about ordering one of their MS nib, they said that this 1.9 is un-tipped, like their 1.1 & 1.5 cursive calligraphy nibs.

When I talked to F-C yesterday about ordering one of their MS nib, they said that this 1.9 is un-tipped, like their 1.1 & 1.5 cursive calligraphy nibs.

Right! I forgot to answer that question. My apologies!

David