Hello From Hamburg, Germany

matten

Hello to all, I am Matthias from Germany and I got a Montblanc 254 from ebay. There is a sign on the filling knob which shows "KOB". What means that? I have got no idear.....

If I knew how to post pictures I would ;-)

Kind regards Matthias

Hello to all, I am Matthias from Germany and I got a Montblanc 254 from ebay. There is a sign on the filling knob which shows "KOB". What means that? I have got no idear.....

If I knew how to post pictures I would ;-)

Kind regards Matthias

post-107053-0-62333700-1410456846_thumb.jpg

post-107053-0-77689900-1410456860_thumb.jpg

post-107053-0-83966500-1410456872_thumb.jpg

post-107053-0-13331600-1410456888.jpg

Edited by matten

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matten

• Trom

• Mister Mont Blanc

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's about the nib. "K" stands for "Kugel", "OB" means the nib size is "Oblique Breit"

You can attach pictures by using the Full Editor.

Edited by Trom

Ich heiße auch Matthias und komme auch aus Deutschland. Nur wohne ich schon jahrzehntelang in Winnipeg. Was für ein Zufall.

Enjoy your pen. It's a beauty.

Are you happy with it?

Edited by meiers

Yes, it's a wonderful feeling to write with it...only the cap has some brassing but what shall we do...

In Winnipeg war ich auch schon mal, mit der Bundeswehr in Shilo. War toll dort, klasse Landschaft vor allem und nette Leute :-) sind mal mit dem Auto bis nach Calgary, was für ein Tripp ;-) tolles Land!

Schöne Grüße aus dem nun langsam herbstlich werdenden Deutschland.

Welcome!

Beautiful pen. Beautiful nib. Another KOB? I thought they were rare? (we heard of another, just a few weeks ago).

But the 254 and that fat wing nib is a true joy. Definitely amongst my favourite pens. Used one as my main pen for many years, true workhorse.

As Jar says, caps are prone to cracks, so post and cap with care. But brassing is 'character' on a 60 year old pen! Congratulations, it's a beauty.

Enjoy.

Eta: On a seperate issue, I never quite understand how Kugle (ball) and oblique can exist in the same tip? Surely Kugle allows the same contact at any angle - whereas oblique depends on the angle and the sweet spot?

Re-edited for vodka spelling. Been a long day.

Edited by CS388

Well, his first job at work is done...the hole day in a meeting, I was down and he was writing and writing and writing ;-) realy a fine pen ... But was is rare on this? Is there no other one in the world ;-)

Yes the Kugel nib is rare as it was only made for a specific time frame. I have seen more Kugel Fine nibs than anything else but I just recently saw an ad for another KOB nib on a MB. I assume it writes best at the angle an OB should write at but may also be able to write at other angles. With a normal OB nib, I've heard the sweet spot is smaller so maybe this just allows for broader writing angles!

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Ah, ok. Now it is clear...Thats what I want to Know. Its just manufactured for a Short Time and thats the reason that they were rar.

Thank you ......

By Matthias

I actually just read an ad description on Penboard.de about a Kugel nib. It mentioned that they were used (or designed for) the carbon-copy era of paperwork. Maybe the idea is you use the pen at a higher angle like 90 degrees so the pressure is going up into the nib where it's strong and not down on the bendable tines. OR maybe, just maybe, it was meant for the nib to be written with upside down as a carbon-copy goes off of pressure and not ink flow! Hmmmm I wonder

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!