Do You Ever See Other People Using Fountain Pens At Work?

OldGreyBeard

Never, and generally when they notice me writing with one they go out of their way to avoid staring or mentioning it. I run one team that does software installs and another that is purely admin so I would not expect it from either. The install guys are pretty young so most have probably never held one. Also the technicians and networks guys I work with often I could never see carrying them. Sales guys either when I have to interact with them. I would have thought maybe one in a shirt pocket as a status symbol, but not with this lot. Fairly young sales force with a handful of older experienced guys. One of them even knew enough about pens to ask me if I was using a Montblanc... no I was not. I have to admit though, I am surprised that I have not seen any of the executive team (VPs or presidents, locally or corporate) carrying even a rollerball Montblanc. I sit in meetings where everyone else in the room is a VP or President and somehow I am the only one with a nice pen. One uses a pretty nice wood roller, but that's about it.

Edited by sffstorm

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• OldGreyBeard

• uemuraw

• RMN

Never, and generally when they notice me writing with one they go out of their way to avoid staring or mentioning it. I run one team that does software installs and another that is purely admin so I would not expect it from either. The install guys are pretty young so most have probably never held one. Also the technicians and networks guys I work with often I could never see carrying them. Sales guys either when I have to interact with them. I would have thought maybe one in a shirt pocket as a status symbol, but not with this lot. Fairly young sales force with a handful of older experienced guys. One of them even knew enough about pens to ask me if I was using a Montblanc... no I was not. I have to admit though, I am surprised that I have not seen any of the executive team (VPs or presidents, locally or corporate) carrying even a rollerball Montblanc. I sit in meetings where everyone else in the room is a VP or President and somehow I am the only one with a nice pen. One uses a pretty nice wood roller, but that's about it.

So in your case, you could have a VP using a VP..... :)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

A medical record written in pencil. That's breathtaking. I would like to know how you got this guy to recognize that medical records are permanent.

There is a difference between medical records and personal notes on a patient.

D.ick

~

~

There is a difference between medical records and personal notes on a patient.

D.ick

Arkanabar said "medical record." The question is whether the guy who writes notes in medical records using a pencil knows what he is doing. And by the way, slavery exists by virtue of self limitation.

I've always worked in the built environment, with contractors, architects and engineers etc. Although I can't say that FPs are rife, they do seem to be more widespread in this industry than many others. In fact, it was because everyone seemed to have a fountain pen at work that I decided to get one, my first one since school. I then got addicted to nibs, ink and paper and the rest is history.

I find that people are fascinated by my FPs generally, although they think its an eccentric hobby. However, I spend a lot of time writing and drafting, so why wouldn't I use something which is comfortable to write with?

@leoniethomas18

None of my colleagues use them, but a few are fascinated by mine. I do have some students who use them because I've given a few away in the past year. I was just talking to a recipient about his pen yesterday, and he's going to swing by my classroom for an ink fill soon. I expect the others will follow.

I now have a pretty decent-sized fp collection for my classroom (thanks to generous members of FPN), and starting Monday, students will be able to use fps for any extended writing projects.

That's really beautiful. I hope your students enjoy their writing projects!

@leoniethomas18

My boss uses FP for his writing at his desk and signatures. Not seen him taking out with him.

One engineer with my client seeing me using my Lamy Studio (Blue matt) said 'Oh, you are so old fashioned'!!

BUT my renewed love for FPs has kindled interests in two of my colleagues. One guy called his dad in India to dust all the FPs lying around and send the photos. His dad is said to have old Parkers and Sheaffers. Even this fellow used Sheaffers and Pilots in school. He told his dad about the value for old pens and he got the photos in 10 minutes!!

Another buddy from Sri Lanka rummaged his apartment to fish out some Sheaffer that he said looked like calligraphy pen and a Cross BP. He too called his wife in Sri Lanka and told her to search their house for all FPs and send through someone to him in Abu Dhabi!!

Regards

Subramoniam

Arkanabar said "medical record." The question is whether the guy who writes notes in medical records using a pencil knows what he is doing. And by the way, slavery exists by virtue of self limitation.

I know, but not every one knows the difference. I made the remark so a doctor writing with a pencil would not be demonised. He could be taking just some notes.

The other remark: that would lead into political discussion which is against FPN policy.

D.ick

~

~

I've seen a co-worker using a fountain pen about three times in 25 years - a very rare event. I do have a colleague who owns a rather rare Lamy Safari, though I never see her use it at the office (she showed it to me once when she noticed the much humbler Safari I was using that day). Then I showed her what that Safari model was currently selling for on eBay. The look on her face was priceless. For sure I won't see her using it now!!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

A medical record written in pencil. That's breathtaking. I would like to know how you got this guy to recognize that medical records are permanent.

He's a psychotherapist, not an MD, so the particulars of medical record compliance may not have been part of his education. I am uncertain, but I think his degree is in social work; I know his credential is. He now keeps one of the cheep cheep stick ballpoints bought for the office to use on forms and lend to consumers for the same. We have a hybrid record, and therapists' notes are all kept electronically, so it usually isn't an issue.

I have had coworkers come up to my desk and grab one of my fountain or calligraphy pens, open it, panic at the sight of the nib, and put it back. Some of them also have trouble with the screw caps on e.g. my Ahab and my Estie J. I suppose I am most concerned that they will abuse my dad's "51", as it looks enough like a conventional pen that somebody in a hurry might not notice the difference before damaging it. So it is now my intention to eventually replace all of my polo shirts (almost impossible to find with breast pockets) with short sleeve button up shirts with pockets, just so I can have it with me always.

I haven't noticed anyone with them. People comment on my pens pretty regularly, and the pen wrap. They all think it's neat that I have a variety of pens, but they're all a little scared to touch them, I think.

Don't believe everything you think.

He's a psychotherapist, not an MD, so the particulars of medical record compliance may not have been part of his education. I am uncertain, but I think his degree is in social work; I know his credential is. He now keeps one of the cheep cheep stick ballpoints bought for the office to use on forms and lend to consumers for the same. We have a hybrid record, and therapists' notes are all kept electronically, so it usually isn't an issue.

My wife, who is a social worker, is a bit shocked that an MSW doesn't know about JCAHO requirements and Medicare audits. At least, your employee seems to be getting the concept. Congratulations on that. By the way, she has to keep her fountain pens on the desk and train to her staff not to use them. Eventually, they started buying her fountain pens as presents.

I worked at a school where none of the teachers used a fountain pen. Too often, they left pens lying around and the staff room had a common call 'Anyone got a pen?' It was the call of the flightless teacher.

I was the only one to use a fountain pen regularly (Sheaffer Imperial) but not being a teacher, was mostly ignored.

The only comment I got was from a department head sneering 'You and your posh pen'. He was holding a transparent Bic at the time (and it was missing the top)

I don't think we should allow these people to teach children.

Relax, it's a short life.

I frequently see others using fountain pens around the office, and it's not unknown for people to arrive at my desk looking for a refill of ink :-)

I have one coworker who uses a fountain pen where I work--a Vanishing Point. He has never commented on my pens, nor I on his. Not sure why. Maybe its the same as men not talking to each other while using the urinal. -_-

One of my employees came into my office talk to me the other day as I was writing something in my notebook. She said, "Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you while you are doing your calligraphy."

• 7 months later...

Well, it has been a decent while since I saw someone using a FP at work. But today, OMG : a single meeting, six people, three fountain pens: 50 % !!!! Yes !! We' re back.

Ik ontken het grote belang van de computer niet, maar vind het van een stuitende domheid om iets wat al millennia zijn belang heeft bewezen daarom overboord te willen gooien (Ann De Craemer)

My boss uses a vanishing point for most note-taking, but neither of us has ever commented on the other's pens. I generally avoid bringing my Vanishing Point to the office to avoid looking, to him or anyone else, like a copycat.